• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    I vacuum pack all stored ammo. It water proofs it. Protects if from moister, dirt and most of the time from being scattered all over the trunk. If it is vacuum packed you can keep it in anything like a pack, range bag or what ever you want. To this date I have not had a round that wouldn't go bang do to the way it was stored.

Before I had the vacuum packer I would take nail polish and seal each round at the primer and around the neck of the bullet. I took one such round after the nail polish dried and put it in a glass of water for a week. Took it out of the glass and went on to the back porch and fired it. It went bang and I hit the box I was aiming at.

I have always tried to do something to keep ammo dry. I have been on to many trips that it has rained or the trunk has leaked and someone thought it would be funny to tip over the canoe. So most of my stuff gets vacuum packed that I put in my get home bag or my hiking pack.

Hmmm... Seems like I need to get to know my vacuum sealer better...

How do you protect the packaging from getting punctured by pointy rifle rounds?

I just purchased some nail polish to use in lieu of loctite - that was an interesting experience. Not every day you see a big ugly guy like me in the nail polish aisle.

Thanks 6mm!

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    I was able to get a couple free media coolers when my employer was throwing them out. I have mounted one in my truck to keep heat sensitive item in. My GPS, extra ammo and when I can't take it with me, my handgun. It works great. I used my infrared thermometer to check temps last summer and the dash was at 148 degrees and the cooler interior was at 78 degrees.

Wow! That's an impressive temp difference. Thanks Man!

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    I keep an "emergency range bag" in my trunk. It is a Craftsman tool bag, 10 Glock 19 mags, 10 30 rd Pmags 556, 6 .45acp 1911 mags, cleaning tools, ear plugs, etc. It's all packed in good Zip Lock baggies to keep the moisture out.
    It's ALWAYS in the trunk and first option for range use. I practice with the same ammo I'm depending on for protection. There's some areas I can cheap out on but defense and protection aren't areas I feel like trying to save $5 a month or so at WallyWorld.
    Long term storage is possible in a trunk but not my preference. Do it right or don't do it.

I keep a .50 cal ammo can in my truck. I have it full of miscellaneous calibers. This way if I decide to go shooting chances are I have rounds on hand. If someone else wants to go I just might have a few rounds in the caliber they need.

Also works great if I have an impromptu gun buy. I don't have to go home to test the thing out.

Have never had issues with storing like this.

Spontaneous range trips is one of the primary reasons I've been thinking about this. "Emergency Range Bag" sound awesome!

On .50 cal ammo cans - are they all made equally? I had my hand on one at Rural King the other day. It was on sale for $10, which made me question if it's quality was acceptable.

Thanks Guys!

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    Consider that the U.S. Military has had ammo stashed all over the world in widely varying climates and some has been stashed for many years. These dumps are called "POMCUS stashes" (positioned outside of military custody of the U.S.) Special forces troops have lists of where these are. Some of these stashes are over 50 years old. It does not go bad from temperature variations. Ammo in Iraq or Korea never failed because it got too hot or too cold. Just make sure it stays dry.

Very good point Sir! Thanks Man!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Sardonius I keep the shells in the cardboard packaging when I vacuum seal them. I have vacuum sealed loose rounds and didn't have any problems with the rounds busting through. That plastic that they make the rolls out of is tough stuff.

As for hanging out in the nail polish aisle I try to get the wife to go with me. I had to go by my self when I was trying to find a orange for some sites. I got some strange looks. I started talking to my self to make it more interesting for them.

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    Sardonius I keep the shells in the cardboard packaging when I vacuum seal them. I have vacuum sealed loose rounds and didn't have any problems with the rounds busting through. That plastic that they make the rolls out of is tough stuff.

As for hanging out in the nail polish aisle I try to get the wife to go with me. I had to go by my self when I was trying to find a orange for some sites. I got some strange looks. I started talking to my self to make it more interesting for them.

Thanks 6mm!

That's hilarious!

Top Bottom