• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was just curious, what is your preference when storing in ammo cans. Do you keep the cartridges in the box or take them out? I have been keeping mine in the boxes.

Also, how many rounds (9 / 45)can you fit in the 50 cal. cans (in / out of boxes)?

Do you use O2 absorbers?

Just some questions that popped in my head while organizing this weekend.

Thanks.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When in the service, our ammo stayed boxed in cans with no type of deci pack. It was in Hawaii, with a high humidity level. Never had any problems.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't bother with O2 absorbers, but I do recommend desiccant. Moisture is the main problem to be concerned with and between the desiccant and a good seal on the can, your ammo will last for many years.

Packing loose or in the original boxes is strictly personal preference, you can fit in more if they are loose, but I prefer in the original boxes so that I know exactly what I have and to be able to easily count the contents. I also like the write the date on each box that I put in a can for rotation purposes. I get 1000 9mm/ 50-cal can packed this way.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I eat allot of jerky, so I just toss those moisture absorbing packs in with my loose ammo in the can. It smells delicious and keeps the ammo dry :)

jk, but that might just work :)

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The only cartridges I keep in ammo boxes are .233 Rem. and they are in stripper clips and those are in bandoleros. I don’t use O2 absorbers or moisture absorbers and have never had a problem in the past 20+ years I’ve been storing reloads that way.

Other ammo I store in saved factory boxes or MTM case guards boxes.

Bucky

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    PJ, did you end up needing to store some of that 9mm I traded you? For what it's worth, I store some ammo either in vac seal bags or in zip lock freezer bags. It allows more rounds in the ammo can. I take the label off of the box and put it in the bag along with the date that I placed it there.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I meant desiccant, not O2 absorbers lol. I have been reading on the SHTF section, and misspoke.

Anyways, thanks for all the input.

Writing the date on the boxes is a good idea that I never even thought of.

slacker, that sounds like a good idea. Jerky scented ammo :D.

pudly, that's what I can fit too, but was just curious if there was a better way than my brain came up with.

Fishersjohn48, actually, I shot all that, but found some more :):. Trying to get my stock up to acceptable levels, so I can shoot without feeling guilty. I also like your idea of the bags and label.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Also, how many rounds (9 / 45)can you fit in the 50 cal. cans (in / out of boxes)?
    Way more than you'll want to carry!:D

Gi packing for 45 is 1K in boxes with no spacers in 50 can don't know about 9mm.

I store ammo both ways--loose and in boxes---I'm not real particular I guess and haven't found corrosion a problem.

Steve

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I store both ways. Heck, I have ammo that isn't in cans, just thrown loosely in whatever container I can find. I've completely run out of ammo cans.

The main thing that will degrade ammo is long exposure to heat, and possibly humidity. But in all actuality, I doubt neither of those would be of any concern. Ammo really isn't as susceptible to moisture as most people think. Take a hand full of ammo and drop it in a bucket of water. Pull it out in a day or two, load it up, and shoot, I will bet that every single cartridge will go off. If you don't believe me, try it, it works.

I eat allot of jerky, so I just toss those moisture absorbing packs in with my loose ammo in the can. It smells delicious and keeps the ammo dry :)

jk, but that might just work :)

I believe the packets in jerky are O2 absorbers. They won't do you any good.

But if they are dessicant (most common is silica gel) then they would need recharged first. You just place them in the oven at about 250 or so for a few hours to dry them back out.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    In the boxes with a good seal on the can.

:+1:

I have most of my ammo cache in ammo cans unless its BPs.... about 1k- 1.2K of either 9mm or .45 will fit in a .50 can, just depends on the packaging/ boxes. The only loose storage is the -06 that came that way from the CMP.... and those are some heavy ammo cans !!!

Rifle ammo in the cabinet and the pistol ammo stacked next to it in the closet:

ammolocker.jpg

And I recycle the kids paintball ammo cans too:

mags.jpg

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I personally don't use silica nor O2 absorbers. I have a few WWII era ammo cans, the outsides are rusted to **** but the insides are clean as a whistle.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I have a 40cal ammo can that I keep all of my ammo in. I keep in in the boxes and organize it as I add to the collection. I keep a single packet of RemDry (dessicant) in the can with the ammo, and have never had an issue.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I didn't think to put the desiccant in with the ammo, but I'll do that since I have 3-4 pounds of it! :D

BTW, if you buy S&B ammo, you can get about 2K+ of 9mm in the large .50cal ammo cans.... :thumbsup:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

The cheapest alternative I have found is the cat litter made of 100% silica gel.

I just dump it in an old sock (no holes, of course), tie it off and drop it in.

Last I checked it was about $10 or $15 for a jug (sold by weight....5lbs maybe?). this was enough to cover the safe and probably a dozen cans or more.

I think I got that suggestion from kludge several years ago.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I apreciate all the tips you guys leave on here. I have to admit I almost started out the door to buy a bunch of jerky.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    ammo cans

hi, Ive used cans and boxes both, and it does not seem to matter much as long as it's inside and dry.
    I have run into some problems with rusting on the inside of a sealed can on some old 8x56R on clips, the clips were all rusty after a couple years in the garage, and that was in a well sealed can, but what did I expect in a unheated garage?..lol.. anyway, the ammo was all fine I just had to clean some scale off it here and there.. the clips were fine after a dunk in deruster as well.
    I packed a can 50 cal size with a case of 22's about 25 years ago, and am still shooting out of that can. If I would have left em in the boxes I would have made some money, as the old 22 boxes are worth a little bit of money now.
    in short, if the area you store the stuff in is dry and semi-heated or air conditioned, it will be fine.
    I've shot some hundred year old stuff that worked great, and I had some old kropatchek rifle rounds that were dated 1885 and they worked just fine, and on the other hand I had several thousand 45 acp from the 50's that was south american surplus that did not fire at all. it all depends on the storage.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I keep mine in the boxes, it helps keep track of inventory. Also I may have more than one lot number or even type or weight in the same can. As to quantity per can with the boxes it will depend a lot on the type of boxes. WW bulk pack will obviously take up less space than boxes w/ the styrofoam inserts, or MTM boxes. That said, I can usually get 1000 rnds of 9mm or 800 rnds of 45ACP with boxes into the 7.65x51 size ammo cans.

Top Bottom