• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I've not had any problems with loose in cans without absorber packs and have had ammo stored over 10 years. Still have a tight vacuum seal when I open the lid. Ammo looks clean as when it went into storage.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I used to keep my handgun ammo in the boxes but after awhile it became a pain to keep track of so I put it loose in ammo cans. I can fit 1,100-1,200 .45acp in a 50cal can but it's heavy as hell so I keep them to 1,000. No clue on 9mm. My rifle ammo I keep in boxes unless it's shipped loose then it's put on stripper clips & put in ammo cans. I can easily fit 1,000rds .223/556 on stripper clips in a 50cal can w/ space left over for another 100-200rds if I want.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What I posted on arfcomm a couple weeks ago when the question was asked there:

About six months ago I posted about doing this. I figured out about how much I shoot each of my calibers on average and then
    I figured out what kind of mix to put into a 50 caliber ammo can so that if I open the can I would run out at about the same time.

The primary reason for doing this was so that when I am out buying ammo I know what type I need most so I don't end
    up with a ten year supply of 10mm ammo while the .308 is almost gone (which is what prompted all this).

I'm up to can number 7 and I'm still using some of my previous loosely stored stock (still have a bunch of 10mm ammo
    without a home yet) and each can holds about 1400 rounds of mixed calibers in original boxes (except a few loose shotgun shells
    I threw in so there would be some ammo for each of my guns if SHTF). Once a can is full, I put the date on it so I can rotate
    stock.

I have the cans stashed all over the place between houses and shop and other outbuildings, so a fire or theft won't
    wipe out my entire stock again.

It's been working great, and I even have an idea of how much each can is worth.

A few exceptions are my carry ammo which I keep seperate since I like to cycle it through
    every couple months, and all reloading stuff which is being tracked seperately.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I dump the ammo straight into the can. Not like the thin cardboard box is going to help much IMO. I do have some shot shells separated in one of the cans but still no boxes.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I don't think keeping them in the can would present any type of problem. If there is a good seal on the can, not excessive moisture or exposure to other chemicals (solvents/oil) you should be good to go.

Top Bottom