• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well the dumb people in my family didnt loose their farm,never had any money to loose, they only went to do their trading to get salt pepper,sugar. they were pretty well self sufficent. Shame they werent smart, just think what they could have done.
    My Mom's family had a farm. The Crash didn't affect them much. They had nothing before, and during The Depression.
    My Dad's family didn't do so well but managed to make it.
    None of them had any "Articles of wealth" like precious metals, or diamonds.
    Tough independent people like them are better at survival than the soft wealthy types.
    Mike

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    My Mom's family had a farm. The Crash didn't affect them much. They had nothing before, and during The Depression.
    My Dad's family didn't do so well but managed to make it.
    None of them had any "Articles of wealth" like precious metals, or diamonds.
    Tough independent people like them are better at survival than the soft wealthy types.
    Mike
    Thats what i'm talking about,being smart. You dont need much to be happy. Long as you have a roof over your head and something to eat.
    I still remember dad using mules to pull a 1 bottom plow,and doing alot of farming with animals.He just sold the single tree planter a couple years ago. ( might have should have kept it) SHTFand thats the kind of life i'll be livin again.
    People knew how to survive back then,they were smart in my opinion.Our generation is spoiled.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Thats what i'm talking about,being smart. You dont need much to be happy. Long as you have a roof over your head and something to eat.
    I still remember dad using mules to pull a 1 bottom plow,and doing alot of farming with animals.He just sold the single tree planter a couple years ago. ( might have should have kept it) SHTFand thats the kind of life i'll be livin again.
    People knew how to survive back then,they were smart in my opinion.Our generation is spoiled.

YUP!!! :yesway:
    Mike

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I have read that many people became rich during the great depression. Many that had plenty of cash and no debt were able to buy large tracts of land and houses for virtually nothing. Once you get on the other side of stabilization, you're golden.

Gold and silver are great to have for AFTER the rebuilding begins. In complete governmentless situations (a la Book of Eli), ammo, water, food, books, soap, just about anything is better than gold. But, if you are talking about an economic collapse where the country survives hyperinflation and reinvents itself eventually (Weimar Republic, Argentina in the early 2000's, etc), then gold and silver CAN be a great survival tool by building your wealth immensely and therefore, not having to sell your other preps. Or gaining some serious assets on the cheap when everyone is scrounging for the currency of the day at firesale prices.

I'm all for preparing for the end of the world, but I'm also a proponent of being prepared for next month (in other words, as many contingencies as possible). If you have 3 years worth of food but your credit cards maxxed out, you're not really prepared, are you?

Just my $.02.

Top Bottom