• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    If you had your base calibers as .223, 9mm and .22lr....what is the minimum amount you would keep on hand for each.

Not interested in the comments of as much as you can carry, you can never have to much. I would like to hear specific counts for each.

Thanks

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    If you had your base calibers as .223, 9mm and .22lr....what is the minimum amount you would keep on hand for each.

Not interested in the comments of as much as you can carry, you can never have to much. I would like to hear specific counts for each.

Thanks

The correct answer for me truly is, "Just keep going". Buy when it's on sale and stack it deep.

It also depends what you're planning for and how much you shoot. For me currently, I don't have a ton of spare time right now. So I shoot maybe about every other week or less. I set my minimums at 3K of your go to rifle caliber, 1K of your handgun caliber, and 10K of .22lr. I realize that if things in this country go really south, I still won't "need" that much ammo TO SHOOT. If I'm that deep in brass and still alive, it'd be a miracle. But it IS good for potential barter. That's why I said just keep on going.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I start every caliber at 1,000 per caliber, but I'm a low round count shooter, maybe 400 per year max for any one caliber, so 1,000 rounds is enough for several years.

How much do you shoot in a particular range trip in that caliber? How many times per year? Personally, I'd take that number times three and use that as a comfortable spot.

I've gotten out of 7.62x54r mostly and only keep 500 rounds on hand. I shoot maybe 100 rounds per year of that. I don't need a whole lot, and I was better able to put the money toward 7.62x39 which I shoot more of.

.22LR is a special case. Low price and storage requirements make it much more attractive to stash more. I like to cash out the change jar and make it my ".22LR fund" and buy as much as that fund allows which has so far been much more than I'll shoot in a decade.

Remember to adjust if you are planning on shooting more in upcoming years than you have previously.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    30 x 30rd PMags always full of .223 that I don't touch plus another 6x30rd in my rifle bag. That puts me over 1k that I can grab and go, if needed. For normal use, I work out of a .50 Cal ammo can. When it gets low, I buy and fill it back up so it ranges from 1-2k or so total. I'll usually buy at least 1 PMag every trip to the gun store. I truly believe hi-cap mags will be the first thing to go if the wrong people are in charge of this country. Might become a valuable commodity to have on hand for selling or bartering.

Pistol varies, but I never have less than 400 on hand. Shoot a decent amount of USPSA, so I go through it and restock often. Usually have about 200 shotgun on hand, with a mix of birdshot, buck and slugs. Always have 10 buckshot at the ready in the shotgun. Don't currently own a .22, but I do have a few bricks I bought cheap during the last scare.

If I have to go to the pistol or shotty in a SHTF scenario, I'm probably close to dead anyways.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i dont believe in consolidation. I believe in diversity !

So I think one should own as many calibers as possible and have at least 500 rds of each caliber they own but have 1000 rds of the calibers they regularly shoot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends. How many firearms do you have chambered in each caliber? How many people in your family/group/etc? How long do you expect to go without resupply?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    35527858.jpg

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My rule of thumb is a minimum of 1,000 rounds per each firearm.

Own 5 .22's........then you need at least 5,000 rounds of .22.

Own a single 12ga........then you need 1,000 rounds of 12ga.

Own 10 9mm's.......then you need 10,000 rounds of 9mm.

And so on.....

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dumped a bunch of guns and decided to consolidate. I keep at least a thousand loaded rounds for each caliber. I also like to have several thousand of each on hand in loading components and maybe a few boxes of factory rounds at the ready.

My experience tells me the stuff isn't ever going to get any cheaper so if you like guns and shooting buy as much as you can afford and stuff it away. Anything gun related is a good investment.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    My philosophy...never will I have less than 1000 rounds per and my goal is to buy at every decent opportunity...which for me mostly means when Freedom Munitions has free shipping. So while you might not want to hear 'You can never have too much' the fact is...you can never have too much. You really can't because YOU DON'T KNOW when something might happen to cause the supply to dry up over night.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I recommend keeping 2k-4k 22LR ammunition on hand, 1k 9mm target & 200 9mm defense ammunition per firearm, 500 M855 & 500 M193 & 100 HP/SP ammunition per semi-auto rifle, etc. These are the base requirements I follow. Luckily my father purchased many cases of ammunition back during the "cheap" Knob Creek days so I have a large reserve at all times. Last inventory check for 9mm ammo at home was 24k I think.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Ok, I was thinking 1K of the 9mm and .223 and more of the .22lr so I am in the ball park.

The scenarios I prepare for are the ones where the power goes out and after a day or so there is no real idea when it comes back on, maybe a solar flare. Maybe a natural disaster of some sort. Trying to defend my family as we pack up in the burbs on south indy and make my way back home to southern indiana via the back roads. Hopefully have enough ammo to assist my family members back home until we can trade or barter for more if needed.

Dave274

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    New Castle
    I know you want a number but there is too much to take into account for me and alot of others out there to put a number on how much ammo on hand is enough. A natural disaster , civil unrest, Terrorist attack, Federal Govt banning ect. This day and age anything is possible and probable. There is alot of things to consider. The availability of ammo and the price of the ammo when it's next to impossible to get. What was it, a couple years ago there was talk of the Feds banning M855. The price went up so high so fast. I saw people paying $1000 for a case of ammo. Only you can decide how much is enough for you.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I just try to stay at a minimum 1k rounds per caliber, mainly due to low storage situations. That is enough for me to comfortably shoot for a year without having to resupply. I don't really prepare for shtf I'm just trying to cover the bases against the sudden price spikes and shortages.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I think that the type of ammunition and intended use is almost as important as the number of rounds right? I mean if you plan on wanting to shoot 9mm at paper or steel targets through a drought, then you probably want a lot of FMJ or maybe even lead...? If you want to plan on defending yourself with it, probably a smaller number of HP rounds would suffice.

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    Well I say as much as possible. I have about 14k of ready to go ammo in 22 25 38 40 45 556 7.62 x 39 , 51 and 308. With that I have as much in brass, projectiles, powder and primers. I buy when I think its a deal and I pick up brass if its something I use or scrap.

Top Bottom