• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know what I am "missing", but it doesn't seem like I'm actually missing it. Not sure how to explain but the cool stuff experienced in my travels (Texas, Colorado, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio, Illinois, Florida, Pennsylvania, West Virginia) really doesn't make me feel like it was that big of a deal to begin with.

Don't get me wrong I liked going to those places, I'd go again, but given the choice I'd be perfectly happy in Indiana.

There are plenty of things to see in other countries that you won't ever get to experience in Indiana. Nothing at all wrong with having the experiences and coming back home and being happy to be back. Me? I like living here because of fairly friendly firearms laws and even though most people seem to think it is boring, I'm fine with that. Spending an extended amount of time in Australia with 0 family around and not knowing anyone, you really learn quite a bit about yourself pretty quickly. Experiences like that are worth more to me and a big pile of $$$$.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ive seen alot of really cool things, in alot of different countries. Some were pretty cool, some need to be wiped off the map, but Sepe is right. You will learn alot about yourself and, for me anyways, I came to appreciate good ol' Indiana that much more. Definitely try and visit some other countries later in life, but for now, I wouldnt worry about it too much. There's nothing wrong with being satisfied with what you have.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I left Indiana at the ripe old age of 18. I didn't return for good until I was 45. I would list the places I lived or visited in between but I would be typing for awhile. My traveling jones is now all but gone. I am content here for now. I understand being hesitant. I think that, if the opportunity presents itself, you should get out and see other places. Living other places, particularly overseas, gives you a bit of perspective that can be invaluable to you. Sometimes it can lead to a fuller, richer life elsewhere. Sometimes it just makes you appreciate home.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I'm a transplant, I grew up in Minnesota (I would go back there in a second, too if I had the chance, the fishing and hunting are incredible). I lived in a bunch of different states and keep winding up here (not a bad thing BTW, except for the fact that most lakes are man-made, not on a duck flyway, etc.). Being only 16 it may seem like you know what you want - and maybe you legitimately do. Don't miss out on the opportunity to go to new places and see new things, though, especially while you're young. Adult life sneaks up on you pretty fast, and you don't want to regret not going outside your comfort zone and doing some adventuring later in life.

I don't life with regrets, but there are some experiences that I wish I would have had, and now I can't (i.e. wandering Europe, road trip across the States, etc.). Not that I can't do them, but having a wife and kids makes it a different experience.

Either way, you're young. Live life to the fullest you can even if it means going outside your comfort zone. You never know what you might learn and there's no guarantee any of us will be here tomorrow.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I'm a transplant as well.*

Ya gotta leave your home town, if only to expose yourself to new ideas.

A prophet is never recognized in his home town. e.g., "Jesus! Jesus. There you go again. Go meet some nice girl and settle down. Do you teenagers have to challenge everything. Not only is it annoying, it could be downright dangerous. You've got a reputation for being a smart-*ss. No one likes a smart-*ss." Coulda happened.

* nearest I can tell, Alpha Centauri system or thereabouts

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    In my teens I wanted nothing more than to leave Indiana. Thought it was boring. I'm 24 now and perfectly happy here. I do love to travel though, other states have lots to offer as well. But Indiana is home.

I realize now Indiana is not boring at all. If you live in the Indy area you get all the conveniences of living near a big city, but not so far away we have caves, beautiful forests, some rock climbing. Everything I want is here. Cant complain about the lack of crime either!

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I joined the military to "escape" a small town west of indianapolis and got to see alot..some times alot of what i didnt want and or need to see. Ive seen every state except hawaii and ive lived all over the east coast, west coast, and south....i hated most of them with a criminal passion (especially the Peoples Republic of California). I lived in alaska and absolutely loved it up there. my career at this point keeps me rooted here. I just moved back from Iowa and am in the city right now. I prefer small town indiana over indianapolis. But if your weird for not wanting to go astray...so are alot of folks. But i would reccommend you get out and see the rest of the country and see for yourself why or why not you love where you are so much. you just might find (like i did with alaska) that there is another place you like better.
    Just my 2 cents.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have driven to a lot of places including Alaska, twice. Learned what parts of the country I don't like. Thought I didn't like Colorado for the first three times visiting there. Now it is one of my favorite places to go. Wouldn't mind living in WY or MT, right there near the border of the two on I90 near a little town called Sheridan. Your not weird, you just know what you want right now. Your thoughts might change or they might not. The more I traveled the more I like Indiana. I know that I really don't like visiting foreign countries. I also thought that I would like the southwest US, but when I got there I realized that I miss the corn, the cows, and the trees.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Contentment comes from within regardless of geographic location. Most people who cannot be content where they are and go on the traveling road show looking for happiness eventually learn the hard way that no matter how far you go, you can't get away from yourself, bringing us right back around to the fact that you either are capable of being content or you are not. Fortunately, you have learned how to be content at a young age.

^This is profound. I like it.

But in my experience, if you ever have to ask if you are weird, then yes, in fact you are to some degree. It's like, if you ever wonder if you you're cool or not .... you're not; If you wonder if you deserve to carry a "man card", ... you don't.

But as a uncool, but man card carrying, weirdo ... I'd say it's hip to be square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Get out and see some stuff. Me and my friends used to take spur of the moment road trips. One time we decided to go to St. Louis just to see the arch. Another time we went to see where flight 93 crashed then while there we decided to go to DC since we were on that side of Ohio already.

Indiana is home to me, but I still like to see what else is out there.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes you are weird, but not anymore so than anyone else on this giant dirtball inhabbited by psychotic apes.

I moved away for 2 years. I lived in Orlando Florida while I attened a trade school. Coming from small town USA in the middle of nowhere Indiana, It was a bit of a culture shock. I loved it and hated it, and eventually when school was over I came back home ASAP. Im no stranger to travel though, Ive been east coast, west coast, north, south and alot of places in between, after all that, you know what Ive come to realize?

There is no place like home. ;)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Get out and see things. I will say, having circled the globe twice and been a lot of different places, I'll be more than happy staying and seeing the USA.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    "Am I weird...?"
    ...everyone is weird. Never met a "normal person" in my 42 years.

You know what makes you happy... who cares what anyone thinks about it.

Go be happy... and weird! GO!

Top Bottom