Alternator Repair (2001 Dodge Grand Caravan)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and the alternator is going bad (loud grinding). I just had to spend a few hundred dollars on a separate issue so spending an additional $350 for a new alternator is worst case scenario. After doing some research online, I found lots of "alternator repair kits" available that gave me the idea of maybe REPAIRING the alternator rather than REPLACING it. My automotive repair skills are sub par and my tool collection is even less so. I watched a few videos on replacing my alternator and it seems for the trouble it's worth, I'm just better off paying someone to do the job.

Unfortunately, virtually no one offers repair service and just wants to sell me a new (or rebuilt) part. The only place I could find locally that would repair my alternator has no service bays, so they told me to remove the alternator and they could repair it. Now, if I thought I could get it off and back on myself, I wouldn't be so worried about my ability to fix it...or at the very least, I would just buy a rebuilt one and install it myself.

So here are my questions --

Why do so few mechanics offer a service to simply repair my alternator? Is a repaired part less reliable than new (or rebuilt)?

Am I just over complicating things? Should I just buy a few tools and attempt it myself?

Is there anyone in the Mishawaka/South Bend area that can recommend me a repair place or is there an INGOer in the area who knows how to do this repair and be willing to help me out with tools and some knowledge?

Basically, I want to spend closer to $150 than $350 on this issue. I really want to increase my self sufficiency in auto repair but I'm not sure this is the project to start with.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and the alternator is going bad (loud grinding). I just had to spend a few hundred dollars on a separate issue so spending an additional $350 for a new alternator is worst case scenario. After doing some research online, I found lots of "alternator repair kits" available that gave me the idea of maybe REPAIRING the alternator rather than REPLACING it. My automotive repair skills are sub par and my tool collection is even less so. I watched a few videos on replacing my alternator and it seems for the trouble it's worth, I'm just better off paying someone to do the job.

Unfortunately, virtually no one offers repair service and just wants to sell me a new (or rebuilt) part. The only place I could find locally that would repair my alternator has no service bays, so they told me to remove the alternator and they could repair it. Now, if I thought I could get it off and back on myself, I wouldn't be so worried about my ability to fix it...or at the very least, I would just buy a rebuilt one and install it myself.

So here are my questions --

Why do so few mechanics offer a service to simply repair my alternator? Is a repaired part less reliable than new (or rebuilt)?

Am I just over complicating things? Should I just buy a few tools and attempt it myself?

Is there anyone in the Mishawaka/South Bend area that can recommend me a repair place or is there an INGOer in the area who knows how to do this repair and be willing to help me out with tools and some knowledge?

Basically, I want to spend closer to $150 than $350 on this issue. I really want to increase my self sufficiency in auto repair but I'm not sure this is the project to start with.
    There's a lot of YouTube videos to watch on repairing your car.
    The first and only worrisome task is to remove the positive battery cable before doing anything else. Piece of cake after that.
    Rebuilding parts has been left to the remanufacturers these days. I haven't done that particular alternator before and haven't rebuilt one since the last of the '80s GM where the diode packs puked every 80k miles.
    I'd buy the rebuilt one, get a lifetime warranty, and do it yourself. There should be ample room on your vehicle to do it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Go to Autozone or some such, buy a new alt, take a half hour (I've done it in 15 minutes) with a wrench and replace it. Take the old one back for the core charge. The price will vary; I've had them run from $35 to $200, depending on the vehicle. It's a really easy repair aside from the belt tension, and that's not even that hard.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you place the order online at Advance Auto you will even save up to 20% on the parts. They might even have a belt tensioner tool in their loan a tool program. The bad thing is finding a warm and dry place to do it in. My garage suffers from packit tightest, so I have to send some work out for repair in the colder months.

Car Tech in Elkhart is a great guy that will take good care of you.
    (574) 293-1231
    He takes about a week to get an appointment though.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I just had mine go out on my plow truck. $165 for the part. $40 core charge. 20 minutes labor (it was on top thank god). 3 tools required-3 wrenches of different sizes.
    I didn't even disconnect the battery...just taped the **** out of the charging wire. This was done roadside in the snow on Sunday. No warm place needed. Especially if your other option is a tow truck which sounds like you are not too far from if you don't replace it soon.

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    Take the Negative battery terminal of first!! If you should happen to touch the wrench to any other part of the vehicle while loosening the terminal it won't short out! Buy a reman. or rebuilt, they'll have a warranty and all you have to do is swap it out!

Top Bottom