• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I might give them a pass, but I've never had an issue at any of the ones I have stopped at, even to overnight. Never have had any friends or family that have had an issue, either. In and out, when we do stop in and most of them have been nice and clean, well maintained and everyone seems on the up and up. Rest stops are no more dangerous than anyplace else, IMO.
    You're probably right, they just give me the creeps at night. Some of my trucker friends advised me to avoid them and I figured they would know since they're on the road more. Who knows?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Rest stops are dangerous to stop at anyways so why bother?

The same could be said for pulling off random exits and utilizing gas stations. Do you know which neighborhoods are high crime and which aren't? I travel a lot. Two weeks ago I was on my way to LAX after a weekend trip to Long Beach. I leave for LAX 3 hours before my flight because of construction down by the airport was causing major traffic flow issues. I use the GPS app WAZE which analyses other WAZE users progress and adjusts your route based upon rerouting around the worse congestion. So here I am at 0600 driving through Los Angles and my GPS tells me to get off the interstate. Next thing I know I am going through south Central LA... Florence & Normandie where Reginald Denny was beat up during the Rodney King riots? WAZE took me on the tour. You never know where you will end up when you are traveling someplace unfamiliar and any place can be a dangerous place.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

We got to know a bunch of them towing our boat around. Having a wife with a walnut sized bladder, and a daughter along with her friends, made frequent pee stops a norm. Herding a 26' boat towed by an Excursion around made the easy in/out of rest stops very attractive compared to some little gas station.

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    'Code Section 25-1-59(c) as giving them the power to “prescribe any reasonable rules and regulations … prevent unnecessary trespassing upon or injury to any of the public roads, bridges, or highways of the state … ” upon which state money is spent.'

Using their logic the DOT could ban firearms from all public roads. What nonsense, and clear contradiction of state law.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When you're tired sometimes a rest stop comes in handy. Went down to Key West a few years back on my bike. On the return leg, I left Key West at night because I wanted to ride the keys at night. Very cool. I had planned to stop somewhere along the panhandle for the night, but because of some NASCAR race I hadn't counted on, I couldn't find a hotel room although I had pulled off at many exits and hotels. I finally had to stop at a rest area and sleep on a picnic table, was too tired to ride anymore. When your that tired, you will sleep in places you normally wouldn't. I had my EDC handy, off course.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I have never thought any rest stop was dangerous that I stopped at. Hell I used to park my car and sleep there when I needed a rest. I have never felt scared at any of them. But then again, some people are scared at the sight of a gun, why shouldnt those scary rest stops be any different.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The scariest thing about a rest stop is seeing how many men don't wash their hands afterwards.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I guess if I have to respect the gun free rest areas by not stopping as I drive through I will.......but don't blame me if I have to fling it out the window as I drive by.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I got to thinking about this prohibition (even though I understand they backpedaled) and my final conclusion is that although it would be tempting to **** on a Glock, you just really shouldn't do it in a public restroom.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I got to thinking about this prohibition (even though I understand they backpedaled) and my final conclusion is that although it would be tempting to **** on a Glock, you just really shouldn't do it in a public restroom.

Well, someone else's Glock...but that's the only kind I have anyway.

Top Bottom