1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Update:

Feel free to add and remove things. PM me or just post it here with changes.

Place and a welder & some vices: Triggertime has graciously stepped forward with the offer of those! (Can't say thanks enough) I am going to let him come up with a date and we will work around it. Tentative date 8-16-14

Press: Thewabbit and Jmsrussel (Thanks)

Toth tool set: Spearheadersarge (Thanks)

Air compresser & bolt down tools: Triggertime (Thanks)

Barrel threading: Jmsrussel (Thanks)

Bending jigs: 30calmachinegunner has offered use (Thanks!)

Die grinder: Triggertime (Thanks)

Drill press: Several have offered so we should be covered.

Head spacing gauges: 762x39 Airborne18th (Thanks)

Riveting: Psode22 has the stuff (Thanks)

Sand blasting: Remauto1187 (Thanks) and bring your scope jig! :-)

Spot welder: Thewabbit

I have a tap and die set I can bring.

Jobs:

Finish coat: Warthog is bringing his stainless tank and some parkerizing supplies And the knowlege@ We might nee a camp stove or two. I am going to buy some extra solution in case we need it. Thanks Warthog!

Pressing barrel pins: Sgtonory has offered to help with doing that.

Barrel threading Jmsrussel
    Assembly help: Clay, vitaminK

Bringing small parts; vitaminK

Builders:

Airborne18th confirmed and bringing head space gauges.
    Psode27 confirmed and bringing riveting tools.
    Psode27's friend Checking
    Remauto1187 confirmed and bringing sand blaster and scope rail drilling jig
    Sgtonory Confirmed
    Spearheadersarge checking
    Thewabbit confirmed and bringing 30calmachinegunner's bending jig, press and spot welder (Boy are we counting on you ! :-)
    Triggertime confirmed
    Warthog confirmed and bringing a parkerizine tank and supplies.
    1911ly confirmed
    -----

Let's get some more confirmed names :-) Are any of the volunteer helpers bring projects to work on? Please do!!

We are possibly full. Unless we can get a bigger location.

I love it when a plan comes together! This it looking great. And if I am skipping something or someone just remind me!

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Hey, I wanted to let you guys know I don't have the rivet tools for the long rear trunnion rivets. If someone has the tool and could bring that it would be great. I just have the "bolt cutter" type rivet press. I have a broken home made press that I hopefully will have up and running again, but no guarantees. For the long rivets in the past I have always just went really really allow with a press. NORMALLY works okay, but there has been some screw ups..... just don't want to mis represent my rivet tools! I might take a picture of the stuff I have and post it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will get riveting tools from the guy I sold mine to then. These will do all the rivets as well as I should have a trigger jig.

These tools are like Plinker's Jig in fact one is a Plinker's Jig.

I need to have a way to press my barrel OUT of the trunnion as well as in. Anyone with that jug? My kit is a complete kit with a barrel and the works I bought back in the 90's. Iy is likely not going to go the same as kits bought today with a barrel since mine has a Commie barrel ready to use.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I will get riveting tools from the guy I sold mine to then. These will do all the rivets as well as I should have a trigger jig.

Awesome! Problem solved! Thanks Warthog.

Hey, I wanted to let you guys know I don't have the rivet tools for the long rear trunnion rivets. If someone has the tool and could bring that it would be great. I just have the "bolt cutter" type rivet press. I have a broken home made press that I hopefully will have up and running again, but no guarantees. For the long rivets in the past I have always just went really really allow with a press. NORMALLY works okay, but there has been some screw ups..... just don't want to mis represent my rivet tools! I might take a picture of the stuff I have and post it.

NP Paul. It looks like we are covered. With your tools and others we should get a lot more done!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It's on the list! It's been on the list for a awhile, next you your name on the confirmed list. I think it would be great. I have a few things I'd like to park. And I'd like to learn how to do it! I added it to the Jobs list now to people can see it better! Please bring it :-)
    oops... sorry. need new glasses. :)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    One thing I would like to bring up for those coming...

Make your kits ready to build as possible. Clean off the goop, clean off the extra metal bits like receiver stubs etc. knock out all the old rivet stubs and make sure all the holes are good before you get there if you are able change out the gas piston and whatever YOU can do to your kit prior to getting there. The more prep work you do, the more actual build and finish time there will be.

A Propane Grill would be ideal to heat the Parkerizing Solution and my tank fits well on one. It takes around a half hour to make a kit the right color and more than one kit should fit in my tank at a time. It has to be completely sandblasted of all finish first then degreases before parkerizing so this part may take the most of all time to make a finished build. Looking at my chems they seem to be in good shape yet so if we can also gather some of the proper plastic bottles, I will take the stuff home or give it to my old smith partner to use up. We will be dealing with a solution of HOT (170-200 degrees F) Phosphoric acid among other things so not goofing around the tank.

The stuff to be parked will be as disassembled as it can be, no wood, all the metal parts only so if someone has a little metal basket it will help too.

(I can help folks do this it is easy. Anyone here do Google Plus Hang Outs? We can have a ptr party Hang Out/Video Call via computer and start the process if needed.)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    One thing I would like to bring up for those coming...

Make your kits ready to build as possible. Clean off the goop, clean off the extra metal bits like receiver stubs etc. knock out all the old rivet stubs and make sure all the holes are good before you get there if you are able change out the gas piston and whatever YOU can do to your kit prior to getting there. The more prep work you do, the more actual build and finish time there will be.

A Propane Grill would be ideal to heat the Parkerizing Solution and my tank fits well on one. It takes around a half hour to make a kit the right color and more than one kit should fit in my tank at a time. It has to be completely sandblasted of all finish first then degreases before parkerizing so this part may take the most of all time to make a finished build. Looking at my chems they seem to be in good shape yet so if we can also gather some of the proper plastic bottles, I will take the stuff home or give it to my old smith partner to use up. We will be dealing with a solution of HOT (170-200 degrees F) Phosphoric acid among other things so not goofing around the tank.

The stuff to be parked will be as disassembled as it can be, no wood, all the metal parts only so if someone has a little metal basket it will help too.

(I can help folks do this it is easy. Anyone here do Google Plus Hang Outs? We can have a ptr party Hang Out/Video Call via computer and start the process if needed.)
    I have a gas grill. If someone has an extra tank of propane to bring incase mine runs out that would be great. Also I will steal/borrow my wife's deep fryer basket :):
    that should work

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think I have it. We can do that before the build. I have only used it a few times.

Is changing the piston recommended(showing my noobness)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a gas grill. If someone has an extra tank of propane to bring incase mine runs out that would be great. Also I will steal/borrow my wife's deep fryer basket :):
    that should work

I am due to get a new tank anyway, soo if I can fit it in what ever I am driving I'll have it covered.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I think I have it. We can do that before the build. I have only used it a few times.

Is changing the piston recommended(showing my noobness)
    Changing the piston is a way to get the compliance part you need, if you have it figured without this then you don't have to do this...

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Hey guys,
    I can bring a propane canister and I have a turkey fryer burner stand that should work (except it has the stupid timer on the valve) to heat the solution. What kind of plastic bottles are needed for the chemicals? I have saved a bunch of vinegar plastic bottles to shoot but I can donate them to save the chemicals. Will they work?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Changing the piston is a way to get the compliance part you need, if you have it figured without this then you don't have to do this...

I guess my noobieness just showed. I should have figured that out. Thanks!

Hey guys,
    I can bring a propane canister and I have a turkey fryer burner stand that should work (except it has the stupid timer on the valve) to heat the solution. What kind of plastic bottles are needed for the chemicals? I have saved a bunch of vinegar plastic bottles to shoot but I can donate them to save the chemicals. Will they work?

Sounds like a plan! Warthog might comment about the feasibility. He knows the shape of the pan.
    -----

My AK74 show up. The guy shipped it in a evelope. The gas piston and cleaning rod hanging out the side :xmad:. A front hang guard missing, I am going to ask my mail man if he found anything rolling around in is truck. The trench art stock is just the guys name carved in to it. Not very neatly but it is in Romanian. Or some Slavic language. I'll have to see what t looks like cleaned up. I'll take some pics later and post them.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here are a few pics of the "trench art stock" I would not call it trench art. Maybe just personalized.

You can sort of see a name. Probably a first name.

Might be a last name?

Other side

This was not the reason why I bought it. What to you guys think? Cool or not? I need a few parts. Trigger guard, gas block, barrle, front sight and the reveiver (Might try to bend this one). Maybe more. I have to lay out the parts and figure out what I need. Barrel and trigger will be USA made for sure. This one may not get completed at the party. It will depend on what all I can find. there is about a thousand places that sell parts!

I want both of these to look like original as close as I can. Not tacticool on these. I'll do one of those later.

FYI, Center Fire Systems has USA made AK kit's complete for $299. I don't know it they are worth a crap though. But the price is right.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ill get a section of all thread and some washers and nuts to reinstall barrels. This is the only way I know how to do it. If there is another way somebody chime in!

I have read that it's fine. I know they make a jig for doing it. It's basicily the same thing. Sounds good to me. Do you want me to make a bushing out if brass? I have a barrel setup here I can fit it to. I have plenty of brass to make it.

I guess the stock is growing on me a bit. We'll see. If Trig has a stock that looks good I might just be talked out of it. He has first dibs.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have read that it's fine. I know they make a jig for doing it. It's basicily the same thing. Sounds good to me. Do you want me to make a bushing out if brass? I have a barrel setup here I can fit it to. I have plenty of brass to make it.

I guess the stock is growing on me a bit. We'll see. If Trig has a stock that looks good I might just be talked out of it. He has first dibs.

Yeah a brass bushing would be better than steel washer! My kit is a M70AB2 so no fixed stock for me! ;)

Top Bottom