• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Good news. The mag well in my 2nd AK-74 test fit was good. The bad news, the IO receivers are not exactly the same. The first one I built for my wife had 0 mag wobble. This one, the mag wobble is quite a bit. Looks like I get to show how to fix it with steel inserts in the mag well walls.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fair warning: I may be off a little on arrival time. I will be leaving Evansville in about 10 minutes (0500 central time).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He drives really slow...

It takes him 1 month and 3hrs to get to Indy from Evansville. :D

Seriously though, I really hope he's not driving all the way up here on the wrong day... :ugh:
    Once they get that new stretch of I-69 completed, it should cut the drive time to 2 weeks, tops! :):

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OK, I win the scatterbrain award for this quarter. Oh well, it gives me an opportunity to visit some friends and family between Evansville and Indy who I should have made time to visit anyway.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Good news. The mag well in my 2nd AK-74 test fit was good. The bad news, the IO receivers are not exactly the same. The first one I built for my wife had 0 mag wobble. This one, the mag wobble is quite a bit. Looks like I get to show how to fix it with steel inserts in the mag well walls.

Have you checked the rifle for function? I have 2 of their AKM and 2 AK74 receivers. I compared them with a caliper and besides the AK74 receivers not having the rear trunnion holes, they're dimensionally identical. I have an AK74 kit I'm hesitant to put together in case there was a manufacturing goof and AK47 receivers were mis-labelled as AK74.:dunno:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    So far I was able to get two Egyptian side folding kits. I am looking for barrels and recievers and I am ready!

A tip on building an Egyptian side folder; measure the trunnion barrel hole with a caliper. Many of the Egyptians being imported have an oversized barrel hole. If it's even a hair over 23mm, you won't be able to get a proper press fit on the barrel. There are fixes, but if you're shopping for a barrel, see if you can get a proper fit first.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    A tip on building an Egyptian side folder; measure the trunnion barrel hole with a caliper. Many of the Egyptians being imported have an oversized barrel hole. If it's even a hair over 23mm, you won't be able to get a proper press fit on the barrel. There are fixes, but if you're shopping for a barrel, see if you can get a proper fit first.

Is there a certain barrel that you would suggest that works better for these side folders? this is my first build and after reading much more into this, im getting a bit intimidated!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Is there a certain barrel that you would suggest that works better for these side folders? this is my first build and after reading much more into this, im getting a bit intimidated!
    well its best to get a proper fit if u can but in theory it should be a euro style barrel which is 90% of all ak's (and so called there all the same size) but worn down tools change these sizes abit...... but if u can measure the trunnion i would there are some oversided barrels out there if needed.... but even if ur under sized there are many diffrent fixes out there so dont worry.... a simple knurling on a lath or some even add put a ton of small dimples with a metal punch (the dity method of knurling) and ive done both before with out any problems

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Have you checked the rifle for function? I have 2 of their AKM and 2 AK74 receivers. I compared them with a caliper and besides the AK74 receivers not having the rear trunnion holes, they're dimensionally identical. I have an AK74 kit I'm hesitant to put together in case there was a manufacturing goof and AK47 receivers were mis-labelled as AK74.:dunno:

I just built an AK74 kit on one of their receivers. That one worked great. This is my second Bulgy 74 kit I'm building. I just test fit my Maadi 47 parts in there and they do fit too and have a little wobble. Since it says 5.45 on the receiver, I'll just build the 74 on it and fix the wobble when I'm done.

There is a slight difference cosmetically to the receivers. One the wobbly receiver, it says Made in USA on the side.

Don't know what is going on but it's not an issue that can't be fixed.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I've had a couple people ask me about side folding Maadis. They are not the same as AMD65 side folder. The folding part is behind the trunnion rather than inside it like the AMD65.

On my AMD65 pistol, you can see the cut out for the side folder. It is located in between the rear rivets. On the Maadi rear trunnion, the folder is behind both rivets (which I need to demil).

Use the standard 7.62 flats. with trunnion holes or without trunnion holes. I prefer without trunnions because I don't trust the Egyptians, Russians, or any AK builder to make every part exactly as designed. It is one more step but that receiver will be specifically drilled for my AK parts. I hope this helps.

side_folder.jpg

Top Bottom