• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There are 2 in my home.
    -Benelli Nova Pump in 12G. chambered for up to 3 1/2" shells. This gives us a very wide variety of shell options. the 3 1/2" shells will set you on your heels if you are not ready for the recoil

-930 Mossberg auto loader. We have ran a variety of loads/shells through it and not 1 failure.
    We load both with 3" Remington Nitro steel.
    Both have lights.

Pick your poison but pick it wisely. Pick your loads the same way.

I'd like to see your light setup on the 930 if you'd be so kind. My 930 tactical is my next project after I'm done hemorrhaging money on my AR build.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Lot of value in the MOSSBERG line (12 ga auto, 20 ga pump).Bird shot will penetrate thru drywall. Look for lower velocity for lower recoil impulse (PDX). Number 1 buck in 12ga and 3 buck in 20ga gets my vote for HD. If clearing a house- use a pistol.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When I train new shooters I use 20 gauge.

When I train new shooters, I use semi auto. Pump is a distraction and more difficult to master. Learning is stressful and semi auto is easier.

People rarely complain that a shotgun is too short BUT if a shotgun is too long, a new shooter will last maybe 3 shots. Taller people can adapt to shorter guns.

20 gauge is lighter weight so easier to lift and hold.

The key is to get a reliable gun and run reliable ammo. When people say a 12 is heavier and recoils less with light loads that is true. The problem is a POS won't cycle light loads. A heavy gun that is too long will kick hell out of a short person with any load. Even a .410.

So when looking for one gun to train everyone, a shorter LOP semi auto 20 wins. A pump is fine but more work and still need a shorter LOP.

The best gun I have seen in this role is a Benelli Montefeltro compact. I am 5'10" and I can run it. Take the short people out of the equation and Benelli M2 rocks. So do Berettas.

Lots of ways to reduce recoil. Buy your gun, then go down that road.

If going 20 pump. I would use an 870. Buy the Mesa adapter for 870 20's and put an Urbino stock on it. You get the PG, adjustable LOP and cheek riser.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a fan of the Coach Gun...Short, reliable, beautiful.....The Dana Perino of self defense shotguns....

We keep a Stoeger/Rossi 20 gauge under the bed with a butt cuff loaded with number 3 or 4 buck shot...Down in the basement I keep a Remington Spartan Coach Gun in 12 gauge loaded with number 3 or 4 buckshot and some 00 on the leather butt cuff....

I know my capacity is limited and I am willing to live with that...They are surprisingly quick to reload however...

Some defensive weapons are timeless and remain relevant long after they were invented...IMHO a coach gun fits that description....

I also have a 20 gauge youth 870 that can fill that role but I usually keep it set up for turkey hunting....

Here is a pic I found on the internet showing all types side by side....

IMG_0186.JPG

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Mossberg/Maverick HS-12: 18.5" O/U with choke tubes, lower front rail
    Mossberg 500 18.5" cyl bore pump with pistol grip, vertical front grip
    Mossberg 930 JM tactical 22" semi auto
    KelTec KSG pump 18.5" cyl bore with strap pump helper

HS-12 and 930 have butt cuffs
    500 has side saddle ammo holder
    KSG is loaded with shorty shells, holds 24+1

All have lights and green lasers and are 12ga
    KSG also has a QD reflex sight co-witnessed with flip up irons

Add in my Veridian light and green laser equipped P220 and my CZ Scorpion EVO 9mm with dual 30 Rd mags, and I think I've probably got it covered.

If not, I'm dead.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I was going to run a tape switch on a 930 like that, I would be inclined to get a magpul light accessories kit. Then modify/attach their tape switch holder to the 930. After all it is a working gun and plastic is easily replaced or swapped out.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I keep a M590A1 handy loaded with 4 buck. I've got a Surefire forearm on it. Please don't use birdshot. SSGSAD, I'm talking to you. Get something to use on intruders. As BBIs said, birdshot does not produce very damaging wounds.

Although the 590 is right by the bed, my go to HD gun is my suppressed 9mm AR. Has a Surefire 951. Can't beat a pistol caliber carbine for HD. Well, some would argue that a handgun is better. It very well may be, so I keep an M&P 40 with a TLR-1 on the nightstand as well.

Different guns for different applications. I think a handgun is the most versatile.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    First let me say I had no experience with shotguns other than a few familiarization exercises in the Marine Corps. I did research and agree that I did not know enough to rely on a pump so I went with an auto loader.

tmiaz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Shelbyville
    Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. Hopefully if there was an encounter in the night, the sound of that pump might be enough to scare off an intruder. Or go for the 870 combo package that comes with the 18" barrel.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All first class badasses always rack the slide before entering any room in the house. I do the same with my hand guns, always cock them before firing. In fact I lower the hammer after clearing each room, that way if the bad guy is in the next room he will get the chance to drop a load in his britches when he hears me cock the hammer. This is the first lesson in the Joe Biden School of Defensive Shotgun Wielding Badassery. Racking the slide or cocking the hammer will induce a massive coronary in bad guys 65% of the time. 52% of the time the crook will faint, and 78% of the time he will sh*t his pants, then faint, then have a massive coronary. I don't even keep ammo in the house, racking the slide or cocking the hammer is guaranteed to suck the soul right out of the badguy like a 45 will do even when it misses.

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Id just get a mossberg.

I set out to find the best HD shotgun 2 years ago. Benelli M4. Then it didnt hold enough shells, so I added a titanium tube, then the safety was small so i added a safety, then the charging handle was too small, so I bought an oversized one, then the ghost rings were hard to see at night so i added tritium, then it didnt have enough shells on it or a true picatinny top rail, so i added a rail and side saddle, then just went with an aimpoint t1, then i wanted a light so i added a surefire rail and a surefire scout light, then i added qd swivel mounts for a sling, and then the lop was too long so i added a mesa urbino tactical stock to it. Then it was perfect, cycles anything, heavy enough to absorb recoil, visibility in any condition, etc. THEN i came to the conclusion that it was more valuable than any of the things that it was meant to protect and it pretty much just lives in the safe! Ive hunted with it some, but otherwise its in the safe with a loaded side saddle and tube.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Federal makes a 12ga 7/8 ounce load in the "top gun" line that I use for skeet. MidwayUSA sells case lots for a reasonable price. It's basically a 20ga load in a 12ga shell and is perfect for training and high volume shooting. In my experience most 20ga shotguns have a smaller/lighter receiver (which increases perceived recoil) than the 12ga guns. With the right load a 12 is very manageable for smaller shooters. A properly fitting stock/pad goes a long way to manage recoil as well. Train with the low power stuff then load it up with something decent for HD. If you ever need it you won't notice the different recoil of the buckshot.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    High Standard 10B, they broke the mold for best defensive shotgun after they made those. Nothing like a reliable semi auto that you can shoot with one hand.

Top Bottom