• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I currently only have 12ga shotguns and 40 S&W handguns and i'm working on my SHTF stock of both calibers now. I am considering adding a AR or AK to the mix but can't decide if i should. It is another caliber to stock and more money to spend. Another consideration is a bolt action rifle just so i can have a long range rifle without having the urge to "Spray and Pray". Whats your take INGO?
    ?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My thoughts:

do it if you want.

"one more" caliber ain't that many.

Once upon a time I got rid of my .40's and my .357, and 9x18.

Then I bought another .357...and a 12ga. And I have a serviceable 20ga that could be pressed into service if need be (It's an antique, an old Mossberg 185-D)

I do think consolidation / streamlining is a good thing. But so is "making sure all the bases are covered". An Intermediate rifle caliber seems like a good base to cover to me...

-J-

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Whats your thoughts on adding something like a Hi Point 40cal carbine? Then in essence i'd have a rifle but not the need for another caliber

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whats your thoughts on adding something like a Hi Point 40cal carbine? Then in essence i'd have a rifle but not the need for another caliber

As I'm in the same mental boat with adding a pistol-caliber carbine to my "fold" (just as soon as I can scrape up that spare $2500....HAHAHAHA) - if you can afford it and want to - go for it.

If it means no new shoes or clothes for the kids - then don't. Those HP rifles are ugly as sin, but for the most part, they work OK. Capacity is limited, however... And you can buy aftermarket stocks/chassis to drop them in to make them a bit easier on the eyes.

But I don't consider a PCR to be a "need". At least not yet...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I think you have your in close range covered with the pistol and shotgun, but I'd want something to reach out aways, distance is your friend from a foe.
    Go with something common, 308, 30-06, 223

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    .308 gives you a lot of choices, but the ammo is steep right now. Even 7.62x54r could do the job cheaply, depending on your budget.

Have you considered reloading? That may help with your decision - what components can you get and how much are they?

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think you should get some type of rifle. It seems like money is an issue. AK ammo is pretty cheap. I say go for the AK47. SKS wouldnt be a bad choice either but I dont have one so cant really speak for it.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    No 22LR?

That's a tough call. You're looking at a significant investment (rifle,ammo,mags etc) with an AR or AK.
    Marlin, Savage and Ruger have come out with some decent & affordable bolt actions.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Well just to put it in perspective.. My wife is in college, so my income is the only one. And we have one child and a second on the way. I make decent money but not enought to sink $1000 into a decent AR.. My main ideas are as follows:

SKS $250 approx
    Hi Point Carbine $275 approx
    Savage 308 or 223 $320 approx
    Those fit my budget best....
    Now i could do an economy built AR for around $500.. But its over my budget..

I am leaning more towards the Savage Bolt 223..

And i do reload...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My son's SKS is a pretty nice affordable gun that shoots a very reasonably priced round, if I was on a tight budget I believe that would be the route I would go.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i woudl go with something 308 or 30-06 personally - although a 223 or 7.62x39 is a good SHTF round as it will be plentiful. the 308 and 06 will give you more power over those two.

why not add an AK and a 308 or 06 bolt rifle? you coudl get both rifle and some ammo for under a grand

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Cheapest and best option may be a mosin. Ammo is still cheap and easy to find and the rifle is cheap but dependable. You could get the rifle and 1000+rounds for less than the ak or ar.

keep in mind price of ammo with the 308 & 30-06.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Here are some of my rambling thoughts. There is some opinion mixed with facts, so take that as such.
    You do not have a rifle in your mix already. Your shotgun might reach out to 100 yards +/- with slugs. You handguns (sure they can go farther) are probably more of an inside 50 yards. A carbine rifle can be used in a house (some may prefer a pistol) or at a long distance. I believe that an AR-15 is useable out to 300+/- yards plus. I believe an decent AK is probably close to that. There are obviously some exceptions here, but my point is a rifle can be used for some closer quarters (not hands on so much) and out farther than your pistol and shotgun.
    Some may argue that the shotgun is better close up, and I would probably agree.
    A pistol is best as a convenience tool in any role. Most experts will say that a long gun is almost always better than a handgun.
    A rifle will just do more damage and is easier to shoot accurately at distance than a pistol. I would say a pistol caliber carbine might be a bit better than a pistol, but I were you I would go with your SKS idea.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am a rifle guy. I have never felt underarmed with a shotgun. My advice is to just keep your eyes open for a rifle deal that you can afford and makes sense for you.

I own more than one $75 centerfire rifle.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Since you described more of your situation:

I'd not buy any more guns until y'all are on much more stable footing income-wise.

You know that kids ain't cheap, plus you'll have hospital bills coming soon.

If it were me, I'd wait until after all those bills are paid.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    OP: Since you described more of your situation:

I'd not buy any more guns until y'all are on much more stable footing income-wise.

You know that kids ain't cheap, plus you'll have hospital bills coming soon.

If it were me, I'd wait until after all those bills are paid.

I mean i have full medical insurance that pays it all.. No Co-Pay (We payed up to our max deductible already) My wife and i have budgeted money into our finances for firearm purchases, she understands the need for them. So A firearm is going to be purchased in the near future, i just can't decide if i want a new caliber or just buy a 40 cal carbine.. I hate Mosins BTW, to loud.....

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In my opinion, I'd go with a semi-auto for faster follow up shots. I would stick with something that's a common caliber, ie .223,308,and to some extent '06.
    Think about it in a SHTF situation where the National Guard/ military/LEO are patrolling the streets, what calibers are you going to be finding on anyone of these 3 that you might find ambushed? My bet would be 9mm, .223, and to a lesser extent .308.
    You can pick up a basic no frills AR for what $500-$600? Heck you could buy a stripped lower from PSA for what $40-$80 ? Look in the for sale section here and pick up a complete upper or watch your LGS for a used one.
    The rifle doesn't have to be a $1000 gun with all the gizmos and gadgets, a basic A2 AR will serve your purposes well.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I mean i have full medical insurance that pays it all.. No Co-Pay (We payed up to our max deductible already) My wife and i have budgeted money into our finances for firearm purchases, she understands the need for them. So A firearm is going to be purchased in the near future, i just can't decide if i want a new caliber or just buy a 40 cal carbine.. I hate Mosins BTW, to loud.....

Hi-point and 10 extra mags, $560?

AR with 300 rds ammo and 10 mags, $850?

Bolt action, scope/rings and 300 rds ammo $750?

Not sure about an AK or SKS

Top Bottom