• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Im wanting to soon build an AR and i was wondering what is the cheapest way to build one.. I want to start out as cheap as possible, then ill add better parts in the future, useful advice, links and words of wisdom will earn REP!!Lol!

Thanks guys!

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I would order a spikes tactical stripped lower from AIM surplus $79 plus free shipping to FFL. Get a RRA parts kit from AR15sales.com for $65 shipped and the RRA stock kit for $65 shipped. Then order you upper from PSA. Just had a buddy do this last couple of weeks. He's got around $700 in his AR build with some magpul goodies.

-Shaun

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    1. Pick up a stripped lower of your choice - should be able to find something for about $100

2. Choose a rifle kit that has the lpk, buttstock and upper/bcg from here M4 Rifle Kits, AR 15 Kits, Gun Kits | Del Ton Rifles from Del-Ton, Inc. $470

Maybe a little bit of shipping thrown in, but you have everything you need for a basic AR. No muss, no fuss, but depending on parts availability you may have to wait a while for the rifle kit. I'd call them and see what they have available if you are wanting to start right away.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Im wanting to soon build an AR and i was wondering what is the cheapest way to build one.. I want to start out as cheap as possible, then ill add better parts in the future, useful advice, links and words of wisdom will earn REP!!Lol!

Thanks guys!

Best advice is to take your time, research your parts, don't buy cheap parts only to upgrade later. That's a good way to waste money that could have been spent on good parts to start with.

Pick a stripped lower up and a good lower parts kit. Stay away from the "unknown" stuff in baggies at gun shows. Buy it in manufacturers packaging.

After you get your lower built, watch for sales on complete uppers, again stay with known names. Again be wary at gun shows if that's where you'll shop, stick with known dealers. If ordering from the 'net, again stay with known sites, where you can find reviews on what they sell. Not saying the smaller websites are bad, just not many first hand experiences you can find.

All in all, take your time, research, read the forums, know what you type of AR you want from the get go.

Above all, don't buy a cheap rifle and then drag it through the Crapco catalog buying junk just to be tacticool. That's wasted money when you could have bought a better rifle.

:twocents:

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Orion Arms has the AIM lowers for like $60, get a PSA moe lower build kit, and a Model 1 Sales upper (getting an A2 upper from them). Save some money and then add good BCG to upper, like a BCM (and the gunfighter charging handle of course). Shoot the barrel to death for training and then replace with superior quality, again, like BCM. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you want the cheapest AR, just buy what the military buys. The entire US military is supplied by the lowest bidder.

When I was a soldier and then a municipal empoyee, I took great comfort in that fact of life. Not.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    I built my first AR last year and spent a little over a grand but it was well worth the extra money and time to know I did it instaead of just buying it.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    As other posters have said, buy a stripped lower, and parts kit, and build it yourself. Then get a complete upper however you want it configured, and you are good to go. I have done it many times. You can buy everything used or on sale too. The cheapest I have built one is $420. That was using a combination of new and used parts. It shoots, and looks great. It is a retro M16E2 build and one of my favorite rifles.

Dave

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    My first at was a RRA government .223 - 7 ar's later I have a custom Armalite AR10A4 w/ 26" ss Krieger - wish I would've did my homework to begin with because I would have exactly what I wanted 7yrs ago - if you have $600-$700 to waste, go to the next gun show and buy the cheepest one you can find and you can tell your buddies you have a ar - if not, figure out what you really want to do with this rifle, stick with the names that have at least 25yrs building ar's, start with a striped lower, and build a rifle that will do exactly what you to do - it will save you $ in the long run and you will be happy with it from the get go - you can do it for $700-$850 for a .223 and you can do it for $900-$1100 for a .308 - don't waste your $ or time - take your time build it your way trust me:rockwoot:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Nor did any of mine. The question was about cost, not reliability.

Well, if that gun built by the lowest builder never failed you then why did it not bring you comfort that that cheap gun was also reliable? Or was it just another underhanded slap at those that aren't fond of questionable parts in a rifle that one should be willing to bet their lives on?

Top Bottom