• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Follow the advice above, I've been gathering new and used parts for several months and in another month should have a pretty quality AR done here pretty soon.

I've used a mix of local gun shop (stripped lower), buying and/or trading on the classifieds here on INGO and with friends, as well as AR sites like ARFCOM.

Spreading the build out over time helps me get a better quality AR for a decent price, and keeps it off of my wife's radar.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    stick with the names that have at least 25yrs building ar's, start with a striped lower

Why would you limit yourself to what 3 brands? Do any of them even sell stripped lowers? I don't think so.

Daniel defense, BCM, spikes , PSA, are building some of the best AR's at the lowest prices. All are less then 10 years old.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you want the cheapest AR, just buy what the military buys. The entire US military is supplied by the lowest bidder.

When I was a soldier and then a municipal empoyee, I took great comfort in that fact of life. Not.....

:rolleyes:

I get so sick of hearing :poop: like this that I want to :puke:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I thought it good advice to make sure to get guarenteed value for your $ since they arent growing on trees anymore - just go with a well known name in the AR manufacturing world with just as much well known respect - don't go all out walmart on the rifle and he'll be much happier with the end result - :rockwoot: have fun with it

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    The main issue for me just like HICKMAN is keeping it off my wifes radar, she's nuts.. She always knows EVERYTHING! I'm 22 and my wife is 19, been together 3yrs and married 4months and i have already figured out that i need to work on my covert gun buying skills... haha

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    so there i was...i had just bought my first ar (used). now it was supposed to be a full spikes but once i drove 2hours i found out it was supposedly a PWA upper? the only markings on the upper are a K right below the rear sight aperature..as far as something i wanted to build on does anyone know what the upper is?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    so there i was...i had just bought my first ar (used). now it was supposed to be a full spikes but once i drove 2hours i found out it was supposedly a PWA upper? the only markings on the upper are a K right below the rear sight aperature..as far as something i wanted to build on does anyone know what the upper is?

What are the markings on the barrel?

The "K" on the upper receiver is a forge code for the company that did the raw forging. Some other company finished it into a working receiver. The K is for Kaiser.

If the upper is an A2 upper with the rear sigh built in, it isn't a Spikes, if it is a carry handle on a flat top receiver and the barrel markings are Spikes, it most likely is a Spikes upper.

What do you have?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not sure how inexpensive the PSA uppers are, but MidwayUSA occasionally has DPMS uppers for less than $400. I picked up one for an SBR build and paid about $370 for it.

Sling

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    no flat top just carry handle and i dont see anything on the barrell.

Markings may be within a few inches of the muzzle, or you may have to remove the handguards. Somewhere on the barrel though, will be a stamping, in letters about 1/8-3/16", that tells the twist rate, material, and possibly other pertinent information.

As an example: 1/9 CMV556; or 1/7 HF CL 5.56NATO, and possibly an abbreviation of the maker's name.

Inspect every square quarter inch of the exterior of the barrel. 99% of the time, this information will be there. That other 1% is with older barrels.

ETA: pictures of anything would be most helpful :cool:

Last edited:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    The barrel does not have a single marking on it. It also has a carry handle. The big reason i want to know is to whethere or not i want to keep it or sell it and get a spikes upper.

Top Bottom