Adding a stock to a GSG MP5 pistol without SBRing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    *Not sure which area this thread belongs in as it involves NFA, pistols, and long rifles. Feel free to move it if it does not belong here!*

Well, I have a question for all of you. A friend of mine is thinking about buying a GSG MP5 Pistol. I believe it has a 9 in barrel. My friend wants to add a stock, without going through all the NFA requirements / tax stamp cost. Is this possible? :dunno: I suggested that he should buy a fake suppressor long enough to meet the 16 inch barrel requirement and have it permanently attached. If that would be legal, how might he go about "permanently" attaching it? Any other suggestions? His only concern is spending as little as possible to add a stock, so please speak up if there are any other "cheaper" alternatives to avoid the costs associated with a SBR.

I'm aware that there are other prefab .22 MP5's that already have stocks and meet the 16 inch barrel requirement, but the deal he found on the MP5 pistol is substantially lower than the cost of any "full" MP5. Assuming he could meet all the legal requirements to add a stock at a fairly low cost, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a prefab.

Thoughts? :dunno:

:popcorn:

Thanks!
    John

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Man, by the title I thought you were gonna be getting another suppressor host.:D

Honestly, unless he's paying almost next to nothing for that pistol, he's better off getting the factory one with stock. By the time he buys a stock, fake can, and pays to get it pinned and welded, he's gonna have about the same amount of money in it, and it will save him the work of doing it all. Plus, unless there is somewhere local to do the pinning and welding, he's gonna have to ship it somewhere to get it done. Thats more money.

It would only make since if he's getting the PK version and wants that style of gun. But judging by your link, its not the PK.

Sorry if I was absolutely no help.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Man, by the title I thought you were gonna be getting another suppressor host.:D

:):
    I am still toying around with the idea of getting a GSG MP5 (PK model) to suppress and eventually SBR. Just trying to think if I'd rather go all out and get a legit 9mm MP5 and suppress/SBR as I wasn't a huge fan of the GSG MP5 I shot a few times...:dunno:

Honestly, unless he's paying almost next to nothing for that pistol, he's better off getting the factory one with stock. By the time he buys a stock, fake can, and pays to get it pinned and welded, he's gonna have about the same amount of money in it, and it will save him the work of doing it all. Plus, unless there is somewhere local to do the pinning and welding, he's gonna have to ship it somewhere to get it done. Thats more money.

So he would have to get the fake suppressor pinned and welded for it to be 100% legal? How much would that cost? I think he might know someone who would be able to do that if it is not super hard to do. Would anyone with sufficient welding experience be able do it? :dunno:

It would only make since if he's getting the PK version and wants that style of gun. But judging by your link, its not the PK.

It's not the PK, so you may be right that he should just buy a prefab model instead. Really, the only reason he wants a stock in the first place is because he wants a MP5 .22 that his 8 or 9 year old niece could shoot. Honestly, I doubt a stock would make a difference in kick. I've shot one of the GSG MP5's without a stock, and because of how heavy they are, there is little to no felt recoil. Maybe he will change his mind after he shoots it.

Sorry if I was absolutely no help.

Don't be sorry!;) You actually did a great job of answering my questions! Much appreciated! :D

P.S.- You got a new PM to :drool: over! :):

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yes, he would definitely have to have the fake can pinned and welded. I have no idea how much that would cost though. Maybe someone else can help you on that.

And many thanks for PM.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Yes, he would definitely have to have the fake can pinned and welded. I have no idea how much that would cost though. Maybe someone else can help you on that.

And many thanks for PM.

Alright. I'll pass on that information to him! Thanks! Oh, and you're very welcome for that PM. I just hope I didn't cause you to :drool: too much! ;)

Also, would there be any legal implications with installing a MP5 stock from an Airsoft gun on the GSG, assuming it fit correctly? I mean, considering it is a .22 MP5 and has little to no felt recoil, I highly doubt an Airsoft stock would have any issues handling the recoil.

Finally, would the fake suppressor need to cover any additional requirements other than bringing the overall barrel length to 16in? Are there any other options than a fake suppressor? Granted, I know most anything other than a fake suppressor wouldn't look very good, but my friend is concerned more about saving money than cosmetics. As long as the MP5 would legally meet the minimum barrel length requirements to allow a stock, he would be happy. :):

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    a stock is a stock, if it has a stock of any kind it must have the minimum measurements allowed on a rifle. Without SBRing it he would be better off going for the rifle version, no reason to buy a pistol then extend it just like the rifle version, extra work and extra money.

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    a stock is a stock, if it has a stock of any kind it must have the minimum measurements allowed on a rifle.

I understand the requirements to add a stock onto a rifle. I just wanted to make sure that if my friend were to install a stock from an Airsoft gun (cheaper), rather than a legit MP5 stock, that there would not be any legal implications in doing so.

Without SBRing it he would be better off going for the rifle version, no reason to buy a pistol then extend it just like the rifle version.

My friends main reason for buying a pistol and extending it, rather than buying a prefab, is because he found a deal for a pistol that is considerably less than what a prefab MP5 would cost and he is hoping to convert the pistol to a full size MP5 for less than the cost of a prefab. I fully agree that, had he not found a good deal, it would be much better to simply buy the rifle version.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I understand the requirements to add a stock onto a rifle. I just wanted to make sure that if my friend were to install a stock from an Airsoft gun (cheaper), rather than a legit MP5 stock, that there would not be any legal implications in doing so.

Nope, no laws requiring the stock to be a factory stock, from a toy, homemade, aftermarket whatever. As long as it has a 16 inch barrel you free to do whatever you want for a stock.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    It's supper easy to ad and remove a stock on the gsg 522- pk like literally just one take down pin and slide it one really. I've seen where lots of people have used airsoft stock just fine on em. It's the tax that's the only hard/expensive part. If he decides to go with the full stock version I might be interested in the pk one.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    It would be much easier to add a fake suppressor than to switch out the whole barrel I would think.

Im not sure how easy a GSG barrel is to replace, but like I mentioned above, the fake can has to be pinned and welded. Just screwing it on isnt good enough. I would say its very possible for a barrel change to be easier than permanantly attaching a fake can.

Top Bottom