• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    I was wondering if it would make much difference if I used a free float tube on this rifle? The barrel is the commercial style "hbar" being that it is thicker under the handguard rather than the military style hbar profile where it is slimmer under the handguard. IIRC

I just don't know if there is enough stress on the barrell with it being so rigid. The only reason I would add a ff handguard is to improve accuracy.

Your thoughts?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I was wondering if it would make much difference if I used a free float tube on this rifle? The barrel is the commercial style "hbar" being that it is thicker under the handguard rather than the military style hbar profile where it is slimmer under the handguard. IIRC

I just don't know if there is enough stress on the barrell with it being so rigid. The only reason I would add a ff handguard is to improve accuracy.

Your thoughts?

Very few AR barrels would NOT benefit from a free float tube for accuracy improvements. Any barrel of a significant length, irregardless of diameter, will be effected by a tight sling and or something (anything) putting stresses on the barrel. I own a Armalite Golden Eagle A2. The barrel mass under the handguards is so large that the top of the barrel has a grove milled in it so the gas tube will fit. When I was shooting high power matches my score improved significantly after installing free float hand guards. My sling was actually pulling my shots high or low at 600 yards depending on the sling tension.

If you want your barrels maximum accuracy, ensure nothing touches the barrel. The same goes for bolt guns ect.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Will a free float make a difference? Answer is Yes it will. Will it effectively make a difference you're willing to pay, well that's a judgement call you have to make for yourself. The easy way to check is to remove your handguards and fire some rounds for accuracy from the bench. Your rifle barrel would be free floating if you did this and you'd see what you'd be getting if you spent the money on a free float.

Having said all of that, I have put daniel defense omega rails on my AR's because they are simple, easy to install, and free float the barrels. I think they're worth it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Will a free float make a difference? Answer is Yes it will. Will it effectively make a difference you're willing to pay, well that's a judgement call you have to make for yourself. The easy way to check is to remove your handguards and fire some rounds for accuracy from the bench. Your rifle barrel would be free floating if you did this and you'd see what you'd be getting if you spent the money on a free float.

Having said all of that, I have put daniel defense omega rails on my AR's because they are simple, easy to install, and free float the barrels. I think they're worth it.

if you are going to do this DO NOT rest the barrel on any sort of support.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Thanks for the advice. In the Corps we obviously did not have ff tubes, but I was able to qualify expert every time. However, on the combat ranges you notice your shots are not as consistent due to the fact that you can't replicate your shooting position every shot. I haven't really gotten to experiment with how drastic the effect is on accuracy with different positions and with/without sling yet. I just don't know if I will get my moneys worth considering this is solely a batte rifle. Trying to keep it simple with no frills but I am an accuracy junkie.

The tube I am looking at is the carbon fiber one RJ installs on the Katana rifle. Its only $100 and can be customized with a rail here or there as RJ did. Not sure if I would even add a red dot with it being an A2. That might bug me.

Hope this doesn't double post again. I hate this phone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Thanks for the advice. In the Corps we obviously did not have ff tubes, but I was able to qualify expert every time. However, on the combat ranges you notice your shots are not as consistent due to the fact that you can't replicate your shooting position every shot. I haven't really gotten to experiment with how drastic the effect is on accuracy with different positions and with/without sling yet. I just don't know if I will get my moneys worth considering this is solely a batte rifle. Trying to keep it simple with no frills but I am an accuracy junkie.

The tube I am looking at is the carbon fiber one RJ installs on the Katana rifle. Its only $100 and can be customized with a rail here or there as RJ did. Not sure if I would even add a red dot with it being an A2. That might bug me.

Hope this doesn't double post again. I hate this phone

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I shot expert in the corps too, but I attribute it to the fact that you record different "dope" for different shooting positions. My POA at 300 is different in the sitting kneeling and standing because of the different amount of tension on the barrel in the different positions. I don't know if you always shot with iron sights in the corps (now we use the ACOGs :noway: ) but I had different "dope" with Irons so that I could aim at the black, but with the ACOG I just have a dif. Point of Aim.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    I was never issued an ACOG, but yeah i agree with you. If you are a very consistent shooter, the range is a breeze. In the field however, its a different story. I just gotta do some tests i suppose. i am not totally conviced that a ff tube is going to make a difference in any potential real world "civi" combat situation i may find myself in. BUT, you cannot be prepared if you are not properly equipped. Never know....i might have to make that 250yd shot to save a life. But probably not. Just want to avoid cluttering "my rifle" up with a bunch of crap i'll never need.

Top Bottom