• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Well I didn't want to say my new gun isn't accurate because I know everyone on here will say. its not the gun, its me.

And I tried the bench but its didn't work at all. Im not saying im amazing with handguns but I can't hit anything with it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Most of the time....

Well I didn't want to say my new gun isn't accurate because I know everyone on here will say. its not the gun, its me.

And I tried the bench but its didn't work at all. Im not saying im amazing with handguns but I can't hit anything with it.

its not the gun, its me.

^^^THIS is usually correct.

If a certain firearm is in question with me, I usually have someone else "Test Drive" it, and see if the results are the same??

You MAY?? Try that?? ...Bill.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I have guns that I don't shoot as good as other, I suck when I shoot my H & K P7M13, could be cause I've only shoot it 3 times in 15 years or i'm to excited & my hands shake:laugh:

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    What kind of handgun is it? Most modern, high quality handguns are capable of better accuracy than their owners are.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Get a buddy who can shoot or have someone at the range give it a go. Watch other people's targets at the range to aid in your selection of a shooter. What type of gun and what type of accuracy are we talking?

I mean if you're upset because your LCP isn't shooting "minute of paper plate" at 50 yards, having someone else shoot it won't help.

:draw:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would ask what kind of pistol?? How far are you shooting it?? What kind of ammo??

Was not being a wise acre in previous post. You have to offer up all the pertinent info so a proper answer can be given.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Its a XD9, with federal ammo and about 15 yards, with a rest.

I just traded in a P250 for the XD and I could shoot way better with the P250 and my girlfriends glock.

Maybe i was just having a bad day. I know im not the greatest shooter ever. but Im also not the worst.

POTTSY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    It is funny that this post has come up because i have the same problem some guns i can hit the target and other ones i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it no matter what i do , in fact the last gun i had was just that way so i took it back the the gun shop i had bought it from and had him the shoot it , it turned out he couldn't hit anything either so they called the manfacture and they told him to shoot it at 21 feet so we did and sure enouph hit the target every time anything closer or futher away and you missed the target . I don't understand why the manfacture don't put ajustable rear sights on their guns it seems like everyone don't shoot the same, but i have a glock 21 and a springfield sub compact 9 mm and i can hit the target at 10 yrds. or 40 yrds and they don't have ajustable sights don't make sence to me i guess it is because i shoot them the most and am use to them .

Just my thoughts on the subject
    Pottsy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Triggers differ from gun to gun. A great deal more than some folks realize. Grip may need to be adjusted as well. One thing I do when showing someone the importance of trigger discipline. Get a laser bore site tool. Unload the pistol. I said "Un-load" it. Not being a wise A$$ about this. Put the laser in the bore and turn it on. Put the laser on target and do your normal routine with the trigger. You may find the barrel is dropping as you pull the trigger. It is more common than you know. A grip adjustment (how you hold the pistol) and getting your finger to go full stroke on the trigger may cure this for you.
    Some folks and some pistols are not a good match and it takes some trigger time to figure this part out.
    Try this exercise. It has cured more than a few folks I know.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have guns that I don't shoot as good as other, I suck when I shoot my H & K P7M13, could be cause I've only shoot it 3 times in 15 years or i'm to excited & my hands shake:laugh:

or that by the end of the first mag, your hands are burning? :):

I still cannot fathom why HK stopped making those wonderful thing in favor of their current line-up. :dunno:

back on topic, even shooting from a bench, a not-so-great shooter will find a way to make not-so-great groups. The fundamentals still apply, maybe to a somewhat lesser extent, but they still apply, even from a bench.

Churchmouse's laser idea is a good one. If you're too cheap to use a laser, get a dime and put it on the front sight during dry fire practice. If the dime falls off, you need to work on trigger control.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Let's not forget ammo choice as well. My M&P 40c doesn't like 155gr bullets. Multiple powders, bullets and OALs it's all the same, terrible. Feed it 165 gr bullets and it's nice tight groups. We're talking going from 12" to 2" groups @ 15yrds from standing position, 15 rnd groups fired 1 per second or less. Huge difference.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm with Hookeye. If you're shooting 5" at only 5 yards, I wouldn't expect any better than a foot at 15 yards either. That's all on the shooter. Grouping size gets bigger as the target gets farther away. This is because even if the gun is off the target by the same amount (angle away from bullseye), it will impact the target farther off center because the bullet has more distance to the target and can move farther away from the center line.

I think I said that pretty poorly, but hopefully you understand it. I would work on getting a little better groups at 5 yards and then move back to 7 yards. Work there for awhile until your groups shrink. Then move back to ~10yds, etc...

Top Bottom