• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I knew immediately from the description of the clerk being referred to.
    SHE has come a long way since she started working there.
    SHE is one of several female employees that does follow the 4 rules.

But all employees should be following the 4 rules. It should not be notable what gender they are?

Butthurt? Maybe. Justified? In my mind, yes.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Someone here has to ask this: What brand of scanning electron microscope do you use to split that hair that many times?

It's not really splitting a hair, it's more like shaving the same hair every time it sprouts up. I'd prefer to just pluck it out and be done with it, like a weed, but some still cling to it (for sentimental or nostalgic purposes, I suppose.)

One has to wonder. There are always people who feel they must be identified as "the smartest guy in the room". They will argue about whether the sky is blue or the grass is green. So, it can be puzzling to us common dolts how they can't make the huge mental leap from "the gun is always loaded" to "handle every gun as if it is loaded". I guess that is a daunting intellectual chasm to get over.

It's not much of a mental leap to note that both your examples imply that only loaded guns need be handled safely. Why go out of your way to imply such a faulty notion?

Neither version is required to handle guns safely, neither add anything of value to safe gun handling practices, neither prohibit any specific unsafe act, neither is as good as simply adhering to the actual safe gun handling rules whenever you handle a gun.

So, what is your reason for perpetuating the failed mantra with its focus on loaded status?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am shopping for a new 1911 . so we went to few gun stores today. At one of them this Jack Wagon began pointing a shot gun at people in the store. :xmad:. When he pointed it at my son I let him know how inappropriate and unacceptable his actions were.

My wife thinks I over reacted. When it was all said and done 3 other people walked out of the store.

Are the rules for firearms safety now meaningless?

Rant off
    Was this person intentionally pointing the shotgun at people or just obviously ignorant of gun safety? The four rules are ok, but I like to review the NSSF's 10 rules once in a while: Firearms Safety | 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why is it so important to point out that she was blonde and a girl? Does that make it more shocking that she knew what she was doing?

It does make it more shocking that he noticed the gun handling at all from the sound of the description. :):

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Was this person intentionally pointing the shotgun at people or just obviously ignorant of gun safety? The four rules are ok, but I like to review the NSSF's 10 rules once in a while: Firearms Safety | 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

He was purposefully pointing the shotgun at people, trying to decide if the Red Or Green fiber optic would be easier for him to pick up on . The sales clerk told him politely that his actions were in bad form and that he felt the need to point at something they have a target up high on the back wall.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He was purposefully pointing the shotgun at people, trying to decide if the Red Or Green fiber optic would be easier for him to pick up on . The sales clerk told him politely that his actions were in bad form and that he felt the need to point at something they have a target up high on the back wall.

Yes it was in bad form and would have earned him some facial damage had he done this to myself or any child for that matter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good to see the usual extremes represented.

Guns are teddy bears and can't hurt anyone (roughly 50 people in my county have gotten unwanted holes in their body due to unintended discharges, but ok) and acknowledging that guns are dangerous is somehow damaging to gun rights.

If you don't follow MY gun safety rules, you're an unsafe tool and I'll treat you like a moron...despite the rules being effectively the same in the situation under discussion.

And the majority taking a common sense middle ground that's both realistic and workable.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    When I was a Gunner's Mate, I was one of those who regularly supervised small arms qualification shoots, mainly for the guys who stood Officer of the Deck and Petty Officer of the Watch duty, but also for the Ship's Self Defense Force and anyone who would be deemed competent to carry a gun as part of his duties at any time.
    After giving all those preparing to shoot the drill on operation, stance, aim, etc, we ended with a stern warning that any violation of the safety rules that we had just dispensed would result in 1) immediately being kicked off the gun range (and possibly an instant literal ass-kicking, depending on the severity of the violation) and 2) a guaranteed captain's mast.
    We must have had some unusually cooperative and conscientious men in our crew, because not one of them quibbled even slightly, and not one of them ever treated any of the guns like just a piece of steel.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's not really splitting a hair, it's more like shaving the same hair every time it sprouts up. I'd prefer to just pluck it out and be done with it, like a weed, but some still cling to it (for sentimental or nostalgic purposes, I suppose.)

It's not much of a mental leap to note that both your examples imply that only loaded guns need be handled safely. Why go out of your way to imply such a faulty notion?

Neither version is required to handle guns safely, neither add anything of value to safe gun handling practices, neither prohibit any specific unsafe act, neither is as good as simply adhering to the actual safe gun handling rules whenever you handle a gun.

So, what is your reason for perpetuating the failed mantra with its focus on loaded status?

I hate to be the one to break this, ATM, but it might be necessary for you to attain the same record of accomplishment and gravitas as Col. Cooper before folks will take your attempts to amend/repeal the first law seriously

This could take a while. Carry on!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was a Gunner's Mate, I was one of those who regularly supervised small arms qualification shoots, mainly for the guys who stood Officer of the Deck and Petty Officer of the Watch duty, but also for the Ship's Self Defense Force and anyone who would be deemed competent to carry a gun as part of his duties at any time.
    After giving all those preparing to shoot the drill on operation, stance, aim, etc, we ended with a stern warning that any violation of the safety rules that we had just dispensed would result in 1) immediately being kicked off the gun range (and possibly an instant literal ass-kicking, depending on the severity of the violation) and 2) a guaranteed captain's mast.
    We must have had some unusually cooperative and conscientious men in our crew, because not one of them quibbled even slightly, and not one of them ever treated any of the guns like just a piece of steel.

Bingo.

I was taught firearms by my 2 Army ranger uncles.
    Down and away always or it would result in a serious ass whipping.
    If you saw those 2 "MEN" you would follow instructions to the letter.
    I told them of my personal idiocy as to live chambered rounds and thought I was going to get my ass kicked then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yup... Its a gun store and they are all unloaded and so they are perfectly safe. No need to worry about where they are pointed at ALL.

[video=youtube;-HlAOWiRwhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HlAOWiRwhw[/video]
    (yes, MANY fails here)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yup... Its a gun store and they are all unloaded and so they are perfectly safe. No need to worry about where they are pointed at ALL.
    (yes, MANY fails here)

Where is the picture of JetGirl's jar full of live rounds found in new guns in the store that theoretically have never been loaded, nor should have been, when you need it?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You had every reason to become unglued. I got pretty upset at a gunshop when someone pointed a red laser mounted on a handgun at my eyes. I left no doubt in anyone's mind how stupid I thought the offender was.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I hate to be the one to break this, ATM, but it might be necessary for you to attain the same record of accomplishment and gravitas as Col. Cooper before folks will take your attempts to amend/repeal the first law seriously

This could take a while. Carry on!

Oh, now it's a law? That's hilarious! :):

I won't bother trying to satisfy or even compete with the common appeal to authority fallacy, but I will offer this quote which probably best sums up the pointlessness of your suggestion on this particular matter:

"Mistrust arguments from authority.'...Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else."

~Carl Sagan

Thanks for playing. ;)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh, now it's a law? That's hilarious! :):

I won't bother trying to satisfy or even compete with the common appeal to authority fallacy, but I will offer this quote which probably best sums up the pointlessness of your suggestion on this particular matter:

"Mistrust arguments from authority.'...Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else."

~Carl Sagan

Thanks for playing. ;)

Interesting Sagan quote, especially considering how that pompous son of a b*tch set himself up to be a fountain of the very type of authority he is criticizing.

Top Bottom