• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I just got my email confirmation this afternoon! Finally, after about 12 years of "talking" about it, I signed up to take the class.

I have my motorcycle operator's manual from the local license branch. My dad is letting me borrow one of his helmets. I've not been on a motorcycle since I was about 10 and it was on a cousin's dirtbike.

I hope those little 250s aren't too much for me. ;)

I just hope they still take off when I sit on one. :rockwoot:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Awesome!! The wife and I loved the class when we took it. Instructors are great, and they step you through everything so it's not overwhelming.

They have 125s there too if the gz250 is too much for you. :)

Good luck and have fun!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I'm glad you are doing it this way. These days, the courses are very good, but they can't give you everything in a day. I try to learn something from every ride and squirrel it away in the memory banks for future use. And don't worry, modern 4 stroke 250s are quite fluid off the line. Might look into joining the AMA, also. Good luck & have fun. :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I took the class a few years back. Its a great class, teaches you the basics, and allows you to get your license with out taking the riding test. :)

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I took ABATE about 13 years ago. Wow, has it been that long?

Great learning course. Teaches you the right way to ride so you can avoid the deadly "habits."

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I took this course years as well, and it was well worth it! Frankly, you'll be better versed in piloting a motorcycle right after taking the course than half the guys driving them on the roads today. Good on ya for signing up!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    They have some great instructors. My neighbor will be attending one of the early classes. He rides trikes, but got a cycle and said he's going to learn to ride it if it kills him. I hope that doesn't happen, but he's fallen once already. I'm sure the class will help him, but a 250cc is a bit different from the 1250cc he picked up.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Woo Hoooo! Welcome to the wonderful world of 2 wheels!!! Welcome to true freedom! Welcome to a major stress reliever!!!!! Welcome to (insert whatever you want here!) Haha

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Glad you reminded me. I just filled out my form and will mail it out tomorrow. Will anybody here be taking the class in Fort Wayne ?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Right now I don't have access to a motorcycle or the funds to get one. We're a one car family and I'd like to get a motorcycle to put around town. People always talk about how it is cheaper than driving a car but I think it was hornadylnl who said it ends up not being cheaper because of all the things you end up buying as part of a new hobby.

Riding a motorcycle, or learning to ride, has always been one of those things I've always insisted on wanting to know or "knowing" I would love to do but haven't really done it before aside from my experiences on a dirt bike as a kid. My dad has always rode, my brother rides, most of my family does.

I used to scour Craigslist for the legendary 800 dollar old(er) Honda bikes but I've never found anything without seized carbs or something that would run with me smashing it with a hammer... I'm not real mechanically inclined. I'll find something some day.

I'm taking the class the weekend of April 1st in Seymour.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    One of the best decisions I ever made. Great class.

I initially took the class back in '85. The ONLY reason I signed up was so that I could get the endorsement quicker and easier. I was totally blown away by the class. It has probably saved my life.

I took it again in 2002 when a friend wanted to take it but didn't want to go alone. Even after that many years of riding, it was a worthwhile class.

Trust me. You'll enjoy it and it is a great experience.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I just got my email confirmation this afternoon! Finally, after about 12 years of "talking" about it, I signed up to take the class....
    I just hope they still take off when I sit on one. :rockwoot:

Good for you! It's great you're taking a class and not just jumping on and trying to learn from potentially fatal mistakes :) I really enjoyed the class I took. (Although I took it after I had taken some private lessons from a friend, even the folks who had never been on a bike before did quite well at the class!) I had the same concern about the 250 LOL but not only did my friend's little Honda Rebel take off with my fat Irish you-know-what on it, it took me up the steepest hills we could find without even grunting :) As soon as I got my endorsement, I went out and bought its bigger sister, a Honda Aero 750. She's red and her name is Sophie :)

Have fun and be safe!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I took the ABATE course in Indy back in 1991.
    It started Friday evening and ran through Sunday afternoon.
    It was a blast and had a lot of fun learning.
    I'd recommend it for anybody that rides.

Top Bottom