Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Actually if they hit what I am thinking they would be aiming and shooting at the ground. Let me see If I can find. Link....

Think the same as this one except all angle iron except for the upright holder which would be square tubing to hold a furring strip:

Wyatt Earp Target Stand (Prototype)

Oh so your idea is portable stands that can move the target line upward (ie. On the grass) so that people shoot from the benches to the target and then there is space behind the target before the berm.

Two concerns:

1) the stand is metal so if somone misses it can bounce back to shooter or bystanders
    2) grass/ground will now have traces of the bullet in it.

On 2 if shooter does shot correctly into the target what we will end up with is the bullet making little trenches in the grass before stopping. We have seen this before :whistle: with the pvc stands.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Had a great time as usual! I really liked the rifle comp at the 100 yard. I would have done that with all my competitions if I knew the kind of turnout. No one seemed very excited whenever I would mention it. :):

Oh, and sorry for delaying the bun guy. I got back from Chicago later than expected and held him up. :(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oh so your idea is portable stands that can move the target line upward (ie. On the grass) so that people shoot from the benches to the target and then there is space behind the target before the berm.

Two concerns:

1) the stand is metal so if somone misses it can bounce back to shooter or bystanders
    2) grass/ground will now have traces of the bullet in it.

On 2 if shooter does shot correctly into the target what we will end up with is the bullet making little trenches in the grass before stopping. We have seen this before :whistle: with the pvc stands.
    1. If only the base is metal, as shown in the link from Ghost of Winter, then you'd literally have to be firing at the ground to have this issue.

2. The problems would come from trajectory issues. If you have "shoulder high" targets but you shoot them from a sitting position then you are actually shooting at an upward angle. If you have targets at "bench level" but you are shooting at them from a standing position then you are shooting at a downward angle.

The key would be to hang the targets at the appropriate height for the shooter and/or the shooting position.
    • A shooter shooting from a sitting position would need to have the target mounted at roughly 3 feet above the ground.
    • A 6' tall shooter would have to have the top of the target held at roughly 6' above the ground.
    • Similarly, a 4'6" child, shooting from a standing position, should not be shooting at a target that is held 6' above the ground.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    To all, check out a few posts ago, I posted a link to my youtube channel (can't link it from work) with the videos that I took. Yeah, most of them are of my kids :D

I still need to edit the titles and descriptions

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    1. If only the base is metal, as shown in the link from Ghost of Winter, then you'd literally have to be firing at the ground to have this issue.

2. The problems would come from trajectory issues. If you have "shoulder high" targets but you shoot them from a sitting position then you are actually shooting at an upward angle. If you have targets at "bench level" but you are shooting at them from a standing position then you are shooting at a downward angle.

The key would be to hang the targets at the appropriate height for the shooter and/or the shooting position.
    • A shooter shooting from a sitting position would need to have the target mounted at roughly 3 feet above the ground.
    • A 6' tall shooter would have to have the top of the target held at roughly 6' above the ground.
    • Similarly, a 4'6" child, shooting from a standing position, should not be shooting at a target that is held 6' above the ground.

What he said. :yesway:

It's all a matter of setting it up properly. Make it clear to everyone that they can only shoot at a target that will put the impact into the middle of the berm.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What he said. :yesway:

It's all a matter of setting it up properly. Make it clear to everyone that they can only shoot at a target that will put the impact into the middle of the berm.

We tried this with the pvc and our own members made a mess of it and thus why the pvc stands never came back. I doubt it will fly due to safety issues and may even require an ro all the time on whatever range area uses it.

However continue with the idea and Iwill present it once a dialogue is open later this year.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Also what about a non portable solution. Steel holes in the ground that would allow for a wooden t structure to be placed in them and then paper targets on them. So only wood and paper is above ground while the steel/metal holders are below ground???

Just another idea?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Actually if they hit what I am thinking they would be aiming and shooting at the ground. Let me see If I can find. Link....

Think the same as this one except all angle iron except for the upright holder which would be square tubing to hold a furring strip:

Wyatt Earp Target Stand (Prototype)

No welding needed, here's one of my homemade ones;

DII_6984w.jpg

They cost me about $2.
    :D

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    We tried this with the pvc and our own members made a mess of it and thus why the pvc stands never came back. I doubt it will fly due to safety issues and may even require an ro all the time on whatever range area uses it.

However continue with the idea and Iwill present it once a dialogue is open later this year.

No welding needed, here's one of my homemade ones;

DII_6984w.jpg

They cost me about $2.
    :D

The issue is that the PVC is flexible and breaks. The stand I showed is used in IDPA and USPSA competition shooting, so they are designed to stand up to use as well as be safe. If we are trying to be perfectly safe then we might as well not shoot because there is always a chance that someone might get hurt no matter how many precautions we take.

I will raise my hand and say I was one of the ones shooting at the targets when the PVC stands were broke, but I was aiming at the target NOT the stand. I was using a saiga-12 at the time. The issue was not the stand being shot by me, but rather the force of the impact.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    There you go... the first chance you get you throw my saiga under the train... I see how you are....

The state is kinda funny on thier rules and enforcement... You can always throw the ideas at them and see where it falls... Maybe one of them will hit them on a good day and become useable, maybe not...

I know I'm on the hunt for my Gunbunnies ranch... what a shooting experience that will be... LOL...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The rules there state paper target on provided holder only- The impression I got didnt seem to flexable
    Correct but we finally have gotten a channel open with the powers that be at winamac so this idea or other similar ones could be presented. From the talk with him the people in hq don't want people on the grass period. So that leaves us with moving the line forward. I donot know if they (dnr winamac) presented other ideas to hq or just focused on the grass. Furthermore with no budget for targets by winamac that might have been a roadblock by them.

There you go... the first chance you get you throw my saiga under the train... I see how you are....
    Well she is a very destructive girl who makes all the boys go crazy when they finger her. She is just bad news.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana

The state is kinda funny on thier rules and enforcement... You can always throw the ideas at them and see where it falls... Maybe one of them will hit them on a good day and become useable, maybe not...

I know I'm on the hunt for my Gunbunnies ranch... what a shooting experience that will be... LOL...

Correct but we finally have gotten a channel open with the powers that be at winamac so this idea or other similar ones could be presented. From the talk with him the people in hq don't want people on the grass period. So that leaves us with moving the line forward. I donot know if they (dnr winamac) presented other ideas to hq or just focused on the grass. Furthermore with no budget for targets by winamac that might have been a roadblock by them.

Well she is a very destructive girl who makes all the boys go crazy when they finger her. She is just bad news.

By that I meant that I was a 12 gauge shotgun not a rifle or pistol caliber. It could have just as easily been an 870, or a mossberg 500...:dunno:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    GOW... it probably was the saiga as she can spit more 12 gauge down range faster than most of the other shotguns can... hahaha... but your right it was probably more so the shotty's than the pistols and rifle calibers that did the damage to those stands... just stands to reason when sending a shot column down range...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Did someone find a metal cap at the shoot? I am missing the cap for my windage adjustment on my Vortex. It should have been on the far right bench.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom