AAR: Mike's Farm INGO Campout (with Pic's & Vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Well, back from longbow's (Mike's) farm and the kids and I are exhausted. We had a great time and everyone is ready for a nap.

I arrived before the rest of the family and found a nice farm with a great yard. After introductions, Pamicakes, longbow & family and I setup some tables with long guns and reviewed our safety rules. We had a slew of guns and took our turns at 25 and 100 yards:

mikessfarm01.jpg

mikessfarm02.jpg

One of the attendees brought a really fun toy with them and we got to make some real noise:

mikessfarm.flv video by techres - Photobucket

Then my kids showed up and followed longbow's youngest around taking hayrides, feeding baby goats, learning about sinkholes, and watching horses run:

mikessfarm04.jpg

mikessfarm05.jpg

mikessfarm06.jpg

Meanwhile adults got some expert instruction in wood cutting. Even my wife took a turn with the axe while my & longbow's boys brought more wood to break up:

mikessfarm08.jpg

mikessfarm07.jpg

That night my eldest two stayed the night and I managed to miss all the good campfire talk when I dozed off by the campfire with my head on my ammo bag.

The next morning was chilly with a serious haze that the sun had to burn off:

mikessfarm09.jpg

With a fire made from leftover embers, a fire was quickly made back up and as people came to the fire and a variety of of breakfasts began. Pamicakes had the best by far, a paperbag filled with eggs and bacon held over the fire:

mikessfarm10.jpg

I fully expected the back to set on fire and/or explode in a ball of flames. In fact, it worked really well and only burned a bit at the end. It did produce an edible breakfast:

mikessfarm11.jpg

Soon it was time to clean up and head home. The kids were far better at setup and cleanup was a bit testy, but it got done and soon we were ready to head back in our overstuffed vehicle - hot, tired, and happy from a great weekend camping at the farm!

mikessfarm12.jpg

My sincerest thanks to Mike and even more so to his wife and family who hosted us all. Also thanks to all who came and made it a great time. I learned many things and meet new people which is always a good time. I hope we will do this again at some time, and even more so hope we can find another host and this time longbow can come merely as a participant.

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    More AAR photos from Camping at Mike's MSG3C

Fire-starting without matches:

The blast match:
    web.jpg

techres blows professionally!
    web.jpg

techres' wife & kids blow on the fire too:
    web.jpg

Longbow's son driving the chariot for techres' kids:
    web.jpg

techres & Longbow adore the new fire:
    web.jpg

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Fire-starting without matches:

The blast match:
    web.jpg

techres blows professionally!
    web.jpg

techres' wife & kids blow on the fire too:
    web.jpg

Longbow's son driving the chariot for techres' kids:
    web.jpg

techres & Longbow adore the new fire:
    web.jpg

Pictures not showing for me, they working for you? :dunno:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I forgot the "things I learned" part of the report:

• Things learned on the internet may actually work (Pamicakes' eggs & bacon in a bag trick).
    • Good people make for good times.
    • Baby goats make alot of noise. Noise that sounds exactly like hurt kids.
    • Tractors are way better, and safer, than atv's.
    • A farmer's boy can lop off a snake's head faster than my kid notices. That and my son is more than happy to play with a decapitated snake.
    • Always remember to bring enough clothes for a cold morning, even if the day is hot.
    • Some wood burns far, far better than others.
    • Camping & shooting are a perfect match for fun.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Looks, and Sounds like you guys had a great time. It's always fun to campout with the kids. We try to do it 3-4 times a year.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Very nice write up Techres! We showed up late, after the shoot, but we had a wonderful time at Longbow's farm. Much appreciation to him and his wonderful family, (including the 4 legged variety too).

The weather was great and we got to set up the used Mt. Hardware tent that I bought last year, set up is geting less complicated. I had the Coleman multi fuel stove with that had white gas from like 4 years ago, and remarkably it lit right up. It was nice to get that back out and running.

We had great conversations about prepps etc., and Longbow entertained us with his wonderful work experiences....I look forward to another event, thanks to all involved.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Thanks again to all that came or at least tired to come. We will do this again.

The portable toilet guy never called back......but the corporate manager did follow up with me.....

Fall campout anyone? or some summer training at my place........

One neighbor asked if we had fun on Saturday making noise and I said yes.

We need to make more noise at my place this summer......

IM me if you have any ideas...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom