• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Matt, who writes for my blog, was involved in a self defense shooting a few years ago. The anniversary of the event is approaching and he wanted to share his experience with us. I'm glad he did. I think there are some lessons in his story for many of us, even though Matt is a Sheriff and this took place while he was working.

My Life Changer | The Bang Switch

I know sharing such stories can be hard at times for some folks, so I appreciate that Matt was willing to share his story.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Excerpt: "Taking fire really made me paranoid about the possibility of running out of ammo. I do not plan on ever letting that happen."

Yup.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I always appreciate when someone's willing to take the time and energy to share their story of self-defense. The lessons we can learn from their experiences are valuable.

Some of my takeaways:

• He needed his optic and the design of his EOTech didn't allow for his first shots to be as effective as they could've been. Not good. Really makes a strong case for the always-on, always-ready Aimpoint.
    • +1 for having a patrol rifle and not just a shotgun. Not only would a shotgun have been too long to wield inside the car during the first engagement, but he was able to be accurate and confident at distance during the 2nd engagement.
    • The officer's prior training helped keep his head cool and allowed him to use tactics that others may not have thought of. Like using his downed optic's window as a large rear ghost-ring sight. Or his ability to put the car in reverse and drive off the "X". Or drawing his mental "line in the sand" for when he would act.
    • The officer didn't know how many rounds he had actually fired until the department conducted their investigation. More ammo is always better.
    • Rounds can ricochet. And still do damage.
    • He later exchanged his .45 for a 9mm with more capacity.
    • He credits first-person shooter video games with helping him "train his brain". While I don't believe video games are a direct cause of violence, I do believe such games are "shooting simulators" and can inoculate the brain to violence. Some such games even started out as training simulators for police departments.
    • Mindset, mindset, mindset. It was the officer's mental coolness, combined with his good tactics, trained skill, and personally owned gear that helped him prevail.
    Thanks for sharing this Tim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom