• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I love the looks and amenities of the 336 XLR's (dovetailed forend & magazine tube hangers along with the Ballard rifling).

But I can't stand the barrel length they put on them from the factory.

Haven't seen a 336 SDG since SHOT - so picked this XLR up from the classifieds here on INGO.

I shortened the barrel up by nearly 7", finished length is now 16.75".

Drilled and tapped for an XS front sight, and mounted the XS rail and rear sight.

Gave the receiver and action internals a debur and polish, replaced the trigger with a Wild West.

The stainless finish was buffed with Scotchbrite for a dull matte finish, then applied a few coats of pure carnauba wax to protect it further from the elements. Still debating having NP3 applied.

Bedded the forend using FIPG/RTV. Bedded the buttstock to the receiver and lower tang with Devcon 10110.

Still need to do the stock throughbolt conversion, just haven't got around to it.

Anybody got a catchy acronym for it - seems like I should mill/polish the XLR off the barrel and call it something else.

IMG_0151.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The ONLY thing I would have done different to the appearance of the gun is put one of the larger loop Marlin levers on it.

That gun looks AWESOME.

And what round will you be shooting through that gun? I'm just betting it is one of your fancy BFG rounds. 358 WSSM? 458 WSSM? 35 Gremlin? Of something less exotic like the commercially available 458 Socom?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    You done a very nice job! It is beautiful! On the name why not the marlin 336 BFG. Simple, but to the point! I like sleepers, like the little chevy II with a 454 in it. I'm with melensdad what caliber you going with?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Its just a 30-30 for now. Probably will rebarrel in 357 BFG-Herrett Short.

I've got a Marlin 1895 in a pile of parts to be reassembled in 458 BFG(Rimmed SOCOM) here shortly.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    I love the looks and amenities of the 336 XLR's (dovetailed forend & magazine tube hangers along with the Ballard rifling).

But I can't stand the barrel length they put on them from the factory.

Haven't seen a 336 SDG since SHOT - so picked this XLR up from the classifieds here on INGO.

I shortened the barrel up by nearly 7", finished length is now 16.75".

Drilled and tapped for an XS front sight, and mounted the XS rail and rear sight.

Gave the receiver and action internals a debur and polish, replaced the trigger with a Wild West.

The stainless finish was buffed with Scotchbrite for a dull matte finish, then applied a few coats of pure carnauba wax to protect it further from the elements. Still debating having NP3 applied.

Bedded the forend using FIPG/RTV. Bedded the buttstock to the receiver and lower tang with Devcon 10110.

Still need to do the stock throughbolt conversion, just haven't got around to it.

Anybody got a catchy acronym for it - seems like I should mill/polish the XLR off the barrel and call it something else.

IMG_0151.jpg
    ive got an idea for what you can call it. MINE! i like it

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I've got a Marlin 1895 in a pile of parts to be reassembled in 458 BFG(Rimmed SOCOM) here shortly.[/quote]

cant wait to see this one. Is it a guide gun?

Top Bottom