• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mentioning Reagan is all well and good, but he'd dead and can't run. You have to play with the cards you're dealt. The gop has a fairly narrow field of potential candidates. Bush is just one of them and polls show him fairing fairly well against a Hillary run in '16. Cruz is not going to win. The TEA Party will vote for him, but he cannot pull enough from anywhere else to gain the win. A Paul run would be interesting to see, as he's been addressing lots of different people in his run up. He may be a force to contend with. Another run by Romney would be a sure loser. Even his own party wouldn't get out and vote for him. And Christie...well, I don't see anyway he could even get past the primaries. It's certainly going to interesting to see who does come forward.

I simply used Reagan as an example of a successful somewhat conservative candidate, and what made him successful.
    Gee...he's dead? I didn't know. :):

But what kind of victory is it to run a Republican that's a basically Democrat clone?

Say Romney had won over Obama?
    Things would be very little different except Romney has more experience in the private sector.

So is the idea that it's OK to have a Democrat in the Presidency as long as they're the Republican Party's Democrat?
    If it is, that's not acceptable to me, and I won't vote for such a candidate.

But if you look at Romney's real life record, he's a left winger and not somebody I'd trust.

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/7...llow_share=true&escape=false&view_mode=scroll

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hope the GOP will put up a candidate that will give people something to vote for instead of just not being Obama or Hillary. Where Jeb, Ted, Rand, et al stand on various positions is one thing. But translating those into a vision of growth and prosperity that will create inspiration in the voters to get out and vote for him/her, even if there's an issue or two they may not see eye to eye on, is the key.

When you think about it, that's what the Obama campaign was able to do the first time around. For anybody listening carefully to what he said, could see through it. It was built on wealth redistribution and ever more government growth but his campaign was able to get the voters to believe they'd be better off with him as president. Let's see if there's a Constitutional-conservative version out there. If there is, he'll win.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Mentioning Reagan is all well and good, but he'd dead and can't run. You have to play with the cards you're dealt. The gop has a fairly narrow field of potential candidates. Bush is just one of them and polls show him fairing fairly well against a Hillary run in '16. Cruz is not going to win. The TEA Party will vote for him, but he cannot pull enough from anywhere else to gain the win. A Paul run would be interesting to see, as he's been addressing lots of different people in his run up. He may be a force to contend with. Another run by Romney would be a sure loser. Even his own party wouldn't get out and vote for him. And Christie...well, I don't see anyway he could even get past the primaries. It's certainly going to interesting to see who does come forward.

at the moment it is a cluster. There is too much infighting in the GOP that it'll take something short of a miracle to win it. Reagan would not make it past the primary today. Cruz is a social statist. Rand is just like his dad, has some great ideas and some crazy ones. Christie isn't presidential material. A moderate republican will make the base sleep in on Election Day. That is why the dems will probably hold the presidency for a while, their amount of infighting is so much smaller than the GOP.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    For once I agree with Chester, in terms of the result, if not in terms of how he reaches it. There is a collection of 16 states that have gone Democrat 6 Presidential elections in a row (for a quarter-century, basically). California, Illinois, New York, Jersey, Mass, you get the idea. They have 250+ electoral votes between them, and only 271 are needed to win. Simply stated, the Democrats begin the race 20 EV away from the White House, before the first internet donation has been made.

If all the Dem. party has to do, to win, is throw all their resources into 3 states - can the GOP stop them? I say no. It's 4th and inches at the goal line for Democrats. They could spend every penny they have, just to win 3 states, and it would be over by 9PM. (Even if the GOP stopped them there, they would still have to run the rest of the table, to have a chance).

Nah Gah Happen.

Jeb Bush isn't about the GOP winning or losing. It's about framing the debate so that no Conservative voice is present within it. It's about convincing the Republican party they can "still win," if they would only change their principles and nominate the "right guy." It's about figuring out which "guy" will do the most permanent damage to core conservative values (in terms of demoralizing the base).

That's why all the interest in JB right now.

Last edited:

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Not a bad article on him. One that does go to some pains to point up the fact that he might well be the most "conservative" candidate (with the creds to back it up) who might be getting in the race. He is certainly much more of a conservative than Romney ever was or will be. Other than the two key issues they note in the article, (which could be killers, for a certain segment of the party faithful) he is a much more credible candidate than people have been led to believe.

Reinventing Jeb Bush - S.V. Dáte - POLITICO Magazine

Yippee!!!! Yet another statist!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    iu

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    McCain wasn't electable by any standard and Romney appealed only to the establishment, country club republicans. The gop has not run anyone with actual "conservative" credentials in a long time. Go ahead and put Cruz out there. He'll lose by a significant margin. Maybe the gop will learn something from a crushing defeat.

To slate Gary Johnson? You don't like RINOs and you don't like Cruz and Reagan's dead, so to quote Dan Rather, 'what's the frequency, Kenneth'?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    To slate Gary Johnson? You don't like RINOs and you don't like Cruz and Reagan's dead, so to quote Dan Rather, 'what's the frequency, Kenneth'?

i suspect Cruz would annihilate Clinton. He is plain spoken and can explain conservatism. The left is terrified of him. Cruz/walker ticket, Cruz/jindal ticket, etc.

putting up Mccain, Romney, JEB/Christie gives you Dem-lite instead of conservative. Why bother with two parties if we're going to put a RINO up?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    i suspect Cruz would annihilate Clinton. He is plain spoken and can explain conservatism. The left is terrified of him. Cruz/walker ticket, Cruz/jindal ticket, etc.

putting up Mccain, Romney, JEB/Christie gives you Dem-lite instead of conservative. Why bother with two parties if we're going to put a RINO up?

Yep, just like the last election. Everyone knew that Obamacare was going to be the main point of debate in the election. So who was the one person that could not press that point out of the whole GOP field? Romney, since he was sort of the grandfather of Obamacare. So how did we end up with him?

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Cruz/jindal ticket, etc.

Now there is a guy I haven't heard enough from. But the last few months I haven't really had the means to keep up on these guys. What is Bobby Jindal up to? How does he stack up nationally? I remember liking what I heard of him but haven't caught wind of him lately.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Yep, just like the last election. Everyone knew that Obamacare was going to be the main point of debate in the election. So who was the one person that could not press that point out of the whole GOP field? Romney, since he was sort of the grandfather of Obamacare. So how did we end up with him?

Deepest pockets and last man standing, least likely to upset the apple cart in DC? :dunno:

He would make a good attack dog.

Because he's a bit too 'substantial' to be a lap dog? :scratch:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

It wasn't Libertarians who pulled the Romney lever in the primaries. So why are repubs blaming everyone but themselves for their turd candidates?

Top Bottom