• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Not a bad article on him. One that does go to some pains to point up the fact that he might well be the most "conservative" candidate (with the creds to back it up) who might be getting in the race. He is certainly much more of a conservative than Romney ever was or will be. Other than the two key issues they note in the article, (which could be killers, for a certain segment of the party faithful) he is a much more credible candidate than people have been led to believe.

Reinventing Jeb Bush - S.V. Dáte - POLITICO Magazine

I saw James Carville being interviewed...(I like him...Most Pols are oily and sleazy and try to hide it...He unabashadly embraces it!) and someone asked him who he thought would be the best candidate for the Republicans to run (after W's term ends) and whether there was a Republican he could support...He got real quiet (Highly out of Character for the "Raging Cajun":)) and said..."Jeb Bush...He has got everything going for him but his last name..." He then went on to explain that Jeb is bilingual ("W" was as well but not as much), is married to an hispanic woman and said he has a nearly Clinton like ability to connect with people from all walks of life and come across as genuine...He went on to say (like you did) that he is conservative enough on certain issues to get most of the base while still being able to get some "Reagan Democrats" support.....

I wish I could find a clip for you but for the life of me I can't remember what I saw it on but it seems that it was kind of a C-Span-ish kind of show rather than a news network....The gist was he was basically looking at it objectivley (as you did here) and just giving an honest assessment as you did here...Nice post....

I think I found it...It was a CNN Panel discussion..(Which explains why I thought it was C-Span...)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/10/16/carville-jeb-bush-will-be-gop-nominee/

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You have GOT to be joking if you're claiming JEB is conservative. Absurd.

He is being pushed nationally by liberals because they'd rather have JEB in there passing amnesty than Ted Cruz actually being a conservative.
    So, yet another case of you commenting without reading. Typical. Read the article and get back to the thread.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If only he had a different last name.

I guess I couldn't pass a purity test....which should come as no surprise to anyone.

We get someone we disagree with 100% of the time because we disagree with the other guy 20% of the time. That makes sense.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, yet another case of you commenting without reading. Typical. Read the article and get back to the thread.

He is anything but a conservative. How is reading an article by a liberal going to change that? I am rebutting your statement, not politoco's.

my mom has Been active in Florida politics for 20 years. I'm clued in enough to judge his political leanings, thanks.

as was said up thread, Libs do this every election period, pick a moderate or liberal RINO and tell us hoe awesome he is. Blah blah blah. If you like JEB, nominate him for Dem. Charlie Christ can show you how

i'll trust mark levin over you or politico

http://therightscoop.com/mark-levin-takes-apart-jeb-bush/

odd that such a conservative would say repubs don't need folks like himself to win in 2016

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...in-White-House-Should-Not-Defund-Exec-Amnesty

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess the question is- Who, WHO HAS A CHANCE AT WIDE ENOUGH SUPPORT TO BE ELECTED is a better choice?

People who keep the ends of the spectrum happy can be elected in certain places, but a nationwide election is much different.

Are we willing to accept imperfect to get "better" than we have had?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I guess the question is- Who, WHO HAS A CHANCE AT WIDE ENOUGH SUPPORT TO BE ELECTED is a better choice?

People who keep the ends of the spectrum happy can be elected in certain places, but a nationwide election is much different.

Are we willing to accept imperfect to get "better" than we have had?

Doesn't look like it. The fringes will push an unelectable candidate and those in the establishment will push whomevers "turn" it is. Politico went out of their way to show Bush's conservative creds and what we see is people coming out of the woodwork to scream that he's not of the body. The republicans are screwed. Hillary is going to walk into the Oval Office.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Doesn't look like it. The fringes will push an unelectable candidate and those in the establishment will push whomevers "turn" it is. Politico went out of their way to show Bush's conservative creds and what we see is people coming out of the woodwork to scream that he's not of the body. The republicans are screwed. Hillary is going to walk into the Oval Office.

If the "base" would have turned out for Romney, we would be complaining about him right now...though I would much prefer to be complaining about President Romney right now.

I'm getting extremely tired of: "let the liberals win, When people see how bad it is, they'll learn their lesson." This stupidity has to stop.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Jeb famously told Republicans that we need to leave Reagan behind and move on, I would prefer to leave the Bush family behind and move on...

Yup…..but only a Bush has been able to beat a (D) for POTUS in what, the last 25 yrs….I'm afraid if he runs, he will win. My sister lives in FL and says if he ever is stupid enough to run the (D) will have a hay day when they tell about his wife. Not sure what all she knows but guess she is bad news. I'll stick with Paul. My money is on the republicans shooting themselves in the arse again though.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    The fringes will push an unelectable candidate

Yeah, picking an "electable" candidate has worked out so well for the the last two times.

I'd rather go down swinging with a real conservative like Cruz, than waste anther vote on an "electable" Moderate RINO.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, picking an "electable" candidate has worked out so well for the the last two times.

I'd rather go down swinging with a real conservative like Cruz, than waste anther vote on an "electable" Moderate RINO.

McCain wasn't electable by any standard and Romney appealed only to the establishment, country club republicans. The gop has not run anyone with actual "conservative" credentials in a long time. Go ahead and put Cruz out there. He'll lose by a significant margin. Maybe the gop will learn something from a crushing defeat.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Any candidate that includes amnesty, and common core in their conservative credentials, isn't the candidate for me.

But buck up, if the GOP runs Jeb, the libertarian candidate will be getting one more vote from me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If the "base" would have turned out for Romney, we would be complaining about him right now...though I would much prefer to be complaining about President Romney right now.

I'm getting extremely tired of: "let the liberals win, When people see how bad it is, they'll learn their lesson." This stupidity has to stop.

FWIW, here's where I'm at: Whomever gets elected president will not substantially fix this country. If we're lucky, we may get a guy/gal what will work around the margins, tweaking existing programs, departments, and laws. This country does not want to really fix it. It's not there, it may never get there, if it does, it will be awhile.

Even a so-called "compassionate conservative" will spend us into oblivion. Now we have what we could generously call an all out progressive but we could argue is a Marxist sympathizer. With this guy, we now see how much worse, with even more momentum and velocity the greater evil of the lesser of 2 evils can spiral us down the tubes.

These problems will not be solved at the ballot box. Gary Johnson, Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz...whomever your favorite savior is, will not fix this, even if they could get elected. These problems will only get solved when the culture changes. This is not an election cycle issue, it is a long term battle to drive out over 100 years of progressivism. That is why I, in the general elections, am going to vote for the best candidate available, that can actually get elected. I will vote my conscience for the best Constitutionalist, the person with the best character and highest moral fiber I can vet.

I maintain no illusions that those people will stick to every campaign promise, will avoid compromising the "other side" and letting me down at times, nominating court justices that will sometimes make confounding rulings. But I also realize that no matter which party that person comes from will likely make many of the same mistakes unless and until the people demand better from them.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My thinking is simple (Yes, as am I ) : Hillary will have a GOP and independent/libertarian to run against. The third party runner will sap votes from the GOP. If GreenPeace or whatever puts someone up, they will pull a few whacko voters from Hillary. We will see a media push that will eclipse their love for Obama. We will hear the word "historic" until we want to throw up. She will energetically parade around the country in her $6000 pantsuits and dazzle all with her BS. Her criminal husband will be charming mindless liberal crowds everywhere. She will duck any serious question a brave member of the press may dare to ask.

So me, I vote for whoever the GOP puts up against her. I may not like him/her, but I guarantee I will like him/her a lot better than the alternative. Flame if you wish.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    McCain wasn't electable by any standard and Romney appealed only to the establishment, country club republicans. The gop has not run anyone with actual "conservative" credentials in a long time. Go ahead and put Cruz out there. He'll lose by a significant margin. Maybe the gop will learn something from a crushing defeat.

McCain and Romney are little more than glorified Democrats.

The last somewhat conservative Presidential candidate that ran on the Republican ballot was Reagan in 1980 and 1984.
    And the Republican Party elite DIDN'T want him, they just COULDN'T stop him.
    The elite wanted George HW Bush.

Reagan won landslides in both 1980 and 1984.

Reagan was successful because:
    1. The country was reeling from another left wing idiot President named Jimmy Carter.

2. MOST IMPORTANT, Reagan was also a good spokesman for his somewhat conservative views.

3. Reagan was also able to get the so-called "Reagan Democrats" on his side.
    These were the moderate blue collar working class people.

JUST being conservative IS NOT enough.

After 2 terms of Obama and his left wing idiocy, the voters would again respond favorably to a somewhat conservative Republican Presidential candidate IF they are also a GOOD SPOKESMAN for their views.

Being a good spokesman is the KEY to being able to discount and marginalize all the left wing demagoguery and politics of envy that the Democrats use so well.

For example remember how Reagan would good naturedly say to Carter "there you go again", and it would take all the wind out of Carter's sails?
    But at the same time, Reagan was a likeable guy who you had a hard time hating, even if you disagreed with him.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mentioning Reagan is all well and good, but he'f dead and can't run. You have to play with the cards you're dealt. The gop has a fairly narrow field of potential candidates. Bush is just one of them and polls show him faring fairly well against a Hillary run in '16. Cruz is not going to win. The TEA Party will vote for him, but he cannot pull enough from anywhere else to gain the win. A Paul run would be interesting to see, as he's been addressing lots of different people in his run up. He may be a force to contend with. Another run by Romney would be a sure loser. Even his own party wouldn't get out and vote for him. And Christie...well, I don't see anyway he could even get past the primaries. It's certainly going to interesting to see who does come forward.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom