• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I hunt deer with a 1894 Marlin in .44 Magnum. I use Winchester white box 240 gr. JSP. The advertized velocity from a 7" barrel is 1180 FPS. My Marlin has a 20" barrel. I did some math to come up with a ball park velocity, out of a 20" barrel. I figured if the Marlin barrel is considered 100%, 7" is 35% of 20", making the rifle barrel 65% longer. Would it be correct to assume taking 65% of 1180, then adding it too 1180, give me a ballpark figure for the velocity increase?.........:dunno:....<><Duce

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I don't think velocity increases linearly, as you assumed when you began calculating a % increase based on barrel length. Rather, it increases on a curve that is determined by a few factors: barrel length, projectile weight, and powder type. (There are probably other smaller factors but we won't go into those)

Let's take this ammo, for example: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 44 Mag :: 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

7.5" bbl: 1,410 f/s
    20" bbl: 1,870 f/s

Again taking your example, 7.5 is 37.5% of 20. A 37.5% increase in velocity from 1,410 f/s would be roughly 1,938 f/s, not 1,870 f/s. It seems that this particular load, with your method, would indeed give you a rough ballpark of velocity increase, but I wouldn't rely on it to be very accurate.

The amount of increase you get in velocity will vary from powder to powder, as some burn faster and others burn slower.

Disclaimer: This post is entirely uneducated speculation on my part.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are too many variables to use simple math to figure this out. If a powder is designed to fully burn in a 7" to 8" barrel, comparatively little velocity will be gained with a much longer barrel. Conversely, if the load is spitting unburned powder out of a shorter barrel, a proportionately larger velocity increase could be realized. So- you have to ask- what was the powder used, how fast does it burn and what barrel was it designed to fully burn in?

I'm afraid it would be a lot easier to find a buddy with a chrono.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another way of thinking about your proposed equation is that given a long enough barrel*, it would be possible to make the bullet go faster than the speed of light!

* By my calculations, almost 2 miles.

EDIT:
    I found this little gem:
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html
    It basically shows that at about 10" (barrel) the velocity increase drops off to the point where velocity starts to decrease.

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I love math, but I don't have a definite answer for you. The bullet speed in relation to barrel lenght is definitly not a linear relationship, though, so your original calculations won't work.

I recall reading an article a few years ago that logged bullet speed out of barrels of different lengths (using same load) and I recall the speed reached max somewhere around the 20 to 24 inch length, if I recall correctly. Beyond that, friction actually started to slow if down.

Okay, I actually just went to my book shelf (old fashioned, I know...) and found the article. It was in the "NRA Firearms Fact Book (Third Edition)" They tested a .22 caliber, and the velocity peaked in the 18" barrel. It was about 40 fps slower in a 27 inch barrel.

They did say it will vary with load, and using faster powders will reach maximum speed in a shorter distance. So the answer.... It depends. You might be able to find some examples where similar tests were done on ammo, or as was suggested, use a chrono and test it yourself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom