• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    i would say fire resitance rating the ability to bolt it down or weight a solid lock and room for growth you know guns do multiply lol jmo

semper fi

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    It depends on what you need it for. I picked up a decent sized Stack-On safe just to keep my kids out and slow amateur burglars down. It's not a fire safe or anything like that but, it's heavy enough to be a problem and it's bolted to the wall / floor. It only cost me $350.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Get one a little bigger than what you think you need. You will fill it up quick, they are nice to have. These guys are right too. Make sure you can secure it and maybe tuck it out of sight. Mine is a fire rated one I got from Gander several years ago before they were too expensive.
    Oh ya, get a de-humidifier for it also. There are plug in style and also the cans of the desicant gel you regenerate every month or so.
    Watch out, your wife will want to start putting pictures and other stuff in it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Most the basics has been covered by other posters. I'll add that you should get a real heavy duty safe, not a cheesy gun cabinet. I have Ft. Knox and Browning safes and like them. There are other very good brands out there. There are no real bargains, unless you can buy a top-of-the-line used safe and then you'll need to change the combination. I have a standard dial and an electronic keypad. As long as the keypad is made by S&G (with lifetime guarantee) you will like the keypad far better than a dial.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I saw an article recently quoting a locksmith, saying that only 10% of the safes he sells have digital locks, but they represent 90% of the problems.

I'm trying really, really hard to dig up the article, but running on four hours of combined sleep over the past three days seems to be catching up to me. I'll post it if I find it.

Found the link.

Last edited:

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Feb 2011 issue of Gun World has a good article on Gun Safes and not promoting any certain brand. Meijers usually has about the best variety of gun mags that I've seen. Best way I could help you.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I saw an article recently quoting a locksmith, saying that only 10% of the safes he sells have digital locks, but they represent 90% of the problems.

I'm trying really, really hard to dig up the article, but running on four hours of combined sleep over the past three days seems to be catching up to me. I'll post it if I find it.

Found the link.

I don't think that I would ever buy a digital lock if it did not have a key to override it when it has problems like the battery running out.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't think that I would ever buy a digital lock if it did not have a key to override it when it has problems like the battery running out.

It's not just the battery running out that's the issue, it's the mechanism as a whole.

Personally, all of our guns are in the safe, with the exception of carry or "nightstand" guns, so quick access isn't really a big concern.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i dont think i have seen this mentioned yet, but i would take some high heat caulking *like fireplace type stuff* and caulk around the bolts that hold it to the floor.

i refuse to buy a safe with a digital lock (to keep the valuables in. i have not read the article yet, but i just do not see it being anything that i want.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    First, it depends on what you intend to store in the safe. Second, fire rating differs greatly. Third, locking mechanism is important. Weight is important. 1200 lbs is a heavy safe, but who is going to carry that out without a wrecker. Also, if you put a 1200 lb safe in the middle of an upper level floor, then you might have a problem.

Some guys broke into a house and spent 3 days trying to get into a similar safe. They had a torch and cutting devices.

They cut the hinges off, but that did nothing, the door was still locked. They tried to cut into it, but the gypsum just cooled their torch.
    They tried to cut it mechanically, but concrete (gypsum) just didn't cut.
    Eventually they beat it with a sledge hammer until the door caved in.
    The particular model they got into only had 2 flat locking bolts. It did not have 12 1" chrome locking bolts like many safes. The flat locking bolts bent and they were able to lift the door out of the safe. If the safe had 12 1" chrome locking bolts, I don't think they would have ever gotten into it.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    After all they tried if they were not able to get into it do you think that you would still be able to open it to get your guns out? If they damaged the locking unit & beat the door with a hammer, it might be hard to get open even if you have the key / combination.

Top Bottom