• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Picked up a new Shield at Wabash Valley Armory on Thursday for $450.00.
    Took it out yesterday and me and 3 other guys put around 150 rounds through it. It functioned flawlessly other than the slide not locking back a couple of times with some really weak Steel Challenge loads.
    A variety of ammo was shot including 147gr Hydra Shoks, 147 fp loaded minor for USPSA Production division, 125 cast, 115 cast, Winchester white box, 95 rn cast and 95 Montana Gold hollow points loaded for Steel Challenge.
    Prior to going to the range I wrapped a 1" wide strip of grip tape around the grip, not unusual for me as I have yet to hold a polymer pistol grip that was tacky enough for me.
    Everyone was quite impressed with its accuracy as we were consistently hitting 10 and 12" plates at 18 yards. OOTB it shoots a little left for me but elevation was good. A little drift on the rear sight should take care of that. Double tapping a 12" plate at 10 yards was relatively easy. We had Pendulum, a SC stage, set up. That is the reason for the 2 distances involved.
    The trigger breaks at a little over 7 pounds, pre travel and reset are comparably short for this type of pistol. No doubt that I'll do some work here but it's not because I need to.
    The 8 round mag with the filler fits my hand well, the 7 round flush fitting mag is just a little short for me. I'll probably pick up a couple more 8 rounders.
    Disengaging the thumb safety was intuitive for me as I prefer 1911 type pistols, more effort was required to engage it, but not enough that I considered it an issue. The slide release was quite stiff, I expect it to loosen up with wear but, we'll see.
    Overall, I really like this pistol. The more I shot it the more I liked it. It's slim design and relatively light weight make it ideal for a guy my size to carry inside or outside the waistband.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I was somewhat pleased that the safety flipped of easily and engaged with effort. I feel that the safety is less likely to be unintentially set this way.

Thanks for the report and enjoy...

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I do like the safety on the shield. It is small enough to not notice it, and it won't accidentally be engaged if you don't want to use it.

Personally, I like a safety on a gun that's on my belt or in a pocket. And the safety is easy to disengage despite its small size.

spd211

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Since no dealer in my area can seem to keep them in stock long enough, I've yet to get my hands on one. How does it compare in size to a Ruger LC9?

slategrey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    My 40 seems a fair bit larger than lc9 but fits in my hand better lc9 a touch too small. My issue would be magazine spring is very stiff other than that I am really happy with mine

Top Bottom