• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thought I would get your guys input on maybe starting to reload 9mm. I already reload 223 & 308 and have been loading for them for quite a while now. But my question would be do you guys think it would be worth trying to start reloading 9mm right now with all the ammo an component issues we are seeing. I don't really know a lot about handgun loading components since I don't reload for any as of right now. So would I really save any money on reloading 9mm right now or should I wait? :dunno:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have reloaded a few 9s in the past but never wanted to mess with them when they were cheap and plentiful. I am going to restart mostly due to the panic/Ammo Zombies situation but I think they are a pain to load.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, you would save money, especially if you have been saving your brass...

I wouldn't overpay for the components right now though... You could go into it just grabbing some bullets and primers as you find them reasonably priced... Might take you a bit to gather everything needed, but you will be better prepared for the next shortage.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    1000 for $125

Just finished loading 1000 = (20) 50rd boxes 125 gr lead cast bullet rounds for $125. Bullets $70, primers $30 and powder $25.

You decide if it is worth it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea Ive got the cases that's for sure. I have been saving them for a while. Like was mentioned just never wanted to mess with it when you could go to WalMart an buy cheap federal but now that that's not going to happen any time soon so I may just start sourcing components like mentioned.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yea Ive got the cases that's for sure. I have been saving them for a while. Like was mentioned just never wanted to mess with it when you could go to WalMart an buy cheap federal but now that that's not going to happen any time soon so I may just start sourcing components like mentioned.

You will always save money loading your own...

Rather than looking at how much I can save on 1k rounds, I like to look at it as how much can I stock up for a certain dollar amount.... If you already have your brass, that's a great start... Compare how much store bought ammo you could buy against how many rounds you could load if you were only spending your money on bullets, primers, and powder....

We don't know how long this shortage is going to last nor do we know when the next shortage will be... We also don't know ultimately what the new "low" will be....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Probably a little better than that..

Just finished loading 1000 = (20) 50rd boxes 125 gr lead cast bullet rounds for $125. Bullets $70, primers $30 and powder $25.

You decide if it is worth it.

About right on bullets+primers. If your 9MM charge is 3.5gr. you can get 2,000 loads out of a pound of powder...Bill.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You will always save money loading your own...

Rather than looking at how much I can save on 1k rounds, I like to look at it as how much can I stock up for a certain dollar amount.... If you already have your brass, that's a great start... Compare how much store bought ammo you could buy against how many rounds you could load if you were only spending your money on bullets, primers, and powder....

We don't know how long this shortage is going to last nor do we know when the next shortage will be... We also don't know ultimately what the new "low" will be....

Very true, that's a good way to look at it. Id sure like to have an ammo can full of 9mm that's for sure. Ive got more than enough 223 handloads, but I never got in on the pistol loads. But Im gonna start now for sure. Got any advice on powder and loads for a newb? Gonna be shot using a Glock 17.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use mostly cast or plated.... For cast, I like the 122 gr FP from Dardas... They run around 58.00/1000 plus shipping, which is very reasonable... For plated, I like the 124gr Berry's FP.... before the hysteria, they were running around 79.00/1000 prior to shipping...

If you're loading for a Glock with the factory barrel, you'll either really need to keep an eye on leading with that polygonal rifling or will need to invest in a aftermarket barrel if your going to shoot a lot of lead...

If interested in a premium jacketed, you can't beat the quality and price of the Hornady XTP line... I particularly like the 124 gr... I also like the Speer Gold Dots, but IMO, the price difference between them and the Hornady's can't be justified...

For powder, you will get better recommendations from others... I have always been fond of Unique, but there are newer and better options out there....

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea its gonna be with the factory barrel. I will probably go with just jacketed bullets like Im assuming would be the plated like you mentioned. But lead bullets are a thought cause that would get cost down a little but Im not really looking into getting another barrel anytime soon.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, plated are USUALLY cheaper than jacketed...

A Lone Wolf barrel runs about 100.00 last I knew.... With the price difference between buying cast bullets and plated, it would take about 5000 loadings to pay for the barrel...

You should be happy with plated... In the meantime, if still interested in possibly shooting cast in the future, maybe keep your eye out for a used Lone Wolf barrel...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ah ok I got ya. Yea I think Ill just go with plated for now and not have to worry about the barrel fro the time being. Now just to find somewhere to buy said plated bullets, lol

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Currently reloading 124 gr JHP, Wolf primer, 3.4 gr Clays for 12 cents each. Good luck finding them at that price, if you can find them at all. No shortage here. 115 gr plated for less than 10 cents each for practice.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    For me it's always paid to reload 9's. Even when factory ammo was cheap, and plentiful, I found I was still ahead of the game for my components cost were lower at the time and when I summed it up it didn't make sense for me to buy factory.

FWIW...I had done a spread sheet after my last components order to see where I was with all the increases in prices and shipping and such. the figures below is just a sample with regards to plated plinking ammo (I do the same cost review for Hp's and exotic's just to see where I am with regards to factory prices as well)

Cost to make
    FMJ-plated Bullet Primer powder total rd cost x50

9mm 124gr $0.08 $0.04 $0.01 $0.13 $6.50
    40s&W 165gr $0.10 $0.04 $0.01 $0.15 $7.50
    38Spc 158gr $0.09 $0.04 $0.01 $0.14 $7.00

Anyway for me JMHO I think it easier and cheaper just to reload

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    Absolutely hate reloading 9mm.. I am so glad i dont own one and I only do it for a buddy once in a blue moon.. I have a really hard time setting the bullet on the case right.. Cause of my big hands..

Top Bottom