• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    i need a nice conceal carry gun i would like one with a hammer, any good suggestions out there i like sigs but is there anything out there maybe a little cheaper.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow lots of choices. There, I was one of the first to say it.

What price range are you thinking?

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    400 to 700 would be in range yes i know there is alot out there i just was curious to what everybody preferred i would like a safety as well

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I like my Beretta 9mm sub compact. but if i had to do it over i wouldve got it in a .40, and perhaps went with compact instead of sub-compact.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    A beretta 92fs compact might fit the bill. They have a hammer and an external safety. The smith M&P has a safety but is striker fired I believe. As said before, there are a lot of choices...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So, small or lighter pistols in the $400 - $700 price range that are not striker fired. Or I am guessing at least have a manual safety and double strike capability (unless there is another reason for the hammer?). Should be interesting! :D

I like the looks of the Sig 239, Sig 229 but these might be over $700.
    FNP 9 or 40 - Little larger but relatively light.
    Maybe something from Beretta?
    The CZ series guns get good reviews on this board.
    Ruger SR9 - no hammer but I think it will "double strike" and would cost around $400. It does have a manual safety.
    Walther P99 - again no hammer but the AS trigger works sorta like a traditional double action trigger. It has "decock" and "double strike" but no safety.
    Not sure if the S&W MP will double strike, but they can be had with a safety.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Go shoot and handle as many as possible. Let your own firsthand experience be one of the primary factors. What feels good in one shooters hand might not feel good in anothers.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    HK; USPC, P2000, P2000SK, P30. They can stretch your price range, but a nice used one can be had in your range, altough the P30 would most likely be the hardest to find at or under $700.

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I bought a para ordnance slim hawg 9mm. It is a sub compact 1911 model. I really like this gun, the only downside I have found is it is picky about its ammo. I have had FTE multiple times with the cheap wally word ammo. But great luck with federal hollows.:twocents:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    A beretta 92fs compact might fit the bill. They have a hammer and an external safety. The smith M&P has a safety but is striker fired I believe. As said before, there are a lot of choices...

I have a Beretta 92f Compact with walnut handles. I love it but have a hard time calling it a true compact. The barrel is about a half inch shorter then the full size and the handle is slightly shorter holding 13 rather than 15. The width is the same as the full size. There are plenty of compact that are true compacts to choose from. I love my Beretta but I wouldn't carry it in an Inside the Waistband holster like I would a Glock 23 40 cal. Just my one cent (the government heard I had two cents and took one to pay for social programs for those that can work but choose not too).

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    For carry and defense, I like to 40S&W over the 9mm. For recreational shooting, i lean towards the 9mm over the 40S&W. Thats based on shooting enjoyment and cost of ammo.

As for manufacturer and model, WOW! Only you can make that decision. Once you are in the $450+ range, whatever you pick should get the job done WELL! It's a matter of feel and confidence. Get out and shoot as many as possible and hold even more. How does it feel in the hand? When you extend, do the sights naturally line up? Are you comfortable with the field of vision?

Finally, before you do anything, make sure your grip is correct. I recently was convinced of the best feeling gun in my hand, then Coach showed me the propoer grip and I realized that the same gun was not as comfortable anymore, but another fit perfect!

Best of luck!

blaster2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Have a P239 in 9mm that I love. Had a P239 in .40 that was excellent as well. Single stack magazine so capacity isn't large but gun is fairly compact.

Top Bottom