• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    so im reloading some 9mm, 115gr fmj. When i crimp it doesnt seem to crimp right or something. After i make the crimp i can still spin the bullet in the casing using my fingers..... so i turn the die in more for tighter crime and its still happening... Anybody know what im doing wrong???? I crimped some winchester 115gr fmj right before these and they didnt do that. Can anybody explain??? Are these bullets that spin safe to use??? Thanks everyone...!!!!!!

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    What kind of dies are you using? Is the crimp a taper crimp or are you using a Lee factory crimp die? If the bullet moves freely, I would not use them. The OAL can change and cause a multitude of problems.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    yes they have all been sized and flared... you think maybe i should saet one and not crimp it see what that does???

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    If the brass has been sized you might check the inside diameter of the case at the neck (after sizing) and the bullet diameter to see how much tension you are getting, or not in this case. Like Six said, even without crimping, there should be enough neck tension to keep the bullet from freely spinning.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    yes the flare is just enough for the bullet to sit in the case... Its weird , like i said i just did 100 of winchester 115gr projectiles and diddnt have any problems. Those cases are from the same batch so i know they were sized and flared the same way...

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    yes these are power bond bullets. they measure .355 base. i thought maybe i flared to much but, like i said none of the win had any issues and it seems t be all the power bonds i have done so far. Maybe 20 at most, i stopped after i noticed it

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Then it should have crimped when you seated the bullet. If it wasn't spinning after you seated it the crimp was already on there. How are you crimping again? Or did you adjust your die up so it wouldn't crimp?

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i adjusted up enough so it wouldn't crimp.... when i normally crimp i set the die to seat the bullet and then spin the actual die in a bit more for the crimp then back out the seater and readjust as needed

Top Bottom