• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guitargallegos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Pendleton
    Alright guys school me on why or why not 9mm in an AR makes sense. I'm just starting out but am interested in trying to keep as many firearms in the same caliber. Unless that is really unwise...

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    I love my 9mm AR. As I am able to shoot it so much more than my .223. I reload for 9mm, can shoot it in steel matches, and all the while I am training on the AR 15 platform. location isn't stated in your tag line, but I would be willing to get together and you could try out "little sexy".

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had a 9mm AR once, key word being had. Not a thing wrong with it, it was a Rock River Middy.
    The mags can be expensive, I bought it for a home defense weapon, at least that was the excuse I gave myself. Me personally I felt a 5.56 carbine was more versatile. If need be you could get out to a longer range with a 5.56 than a 9mm. That is why I sold mine.
    YMMV

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If I had to choose one rifle I'd get a AR. With 30+ uppers to choose from in almost any caliber.. I shot a 9mmar was fun and cheap to feed. Now I do wish someone could find a way to do a .308 on a 15 platform even if they do it like a BMG upper.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My 9mm AR is one of the most FUN guns I own. A silencer on the end helps. much quieter than you can do w/ .223 (though .300 blk is close). Mine is a parts gun, but built on the colt design, and has been phenominally reliable. It's a gun that everyone enjoys shooting especially on steel, pumpkins, etc... even people who are recoil or noise adverse. It has no real "purpose" (ie while it would be up to it, I don't use it as a defensive gun, nor for hunting, etc) other than it's a lot of fun.

-rvb

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    RVB, where did you get the lower? What mags does it use?
    Really thinking about building a fun gun.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There are multiple lowers you can get. You can get a factory pinned 9mm AR15 lower from places like Colt, Rock River, CMMG and many others. You can take any AR15 lower and add a 9mm mag block from Hahn, Spikes, CMMG and others. These will use Colt/Metalform style 9mm AR15 stick mags.

You can buy dedicated 9mm lowers from Double Diamond that use Glock factory mags or the Colt/Metalform mags.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I wish I could get one with a S&W M&P lower. If it could be switched between 45, 40 & 9mm it would be perfect. I would settle for 40 & 9mm though. It would make a great combo with my M&Ps.

Not cheap to shoot but fun. One in 44 mag.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    RVB, where did you get the lower? What mags does it use?
    Really thinking about building a fun gun.

lower is just a regular AR lower w/ colt one-piece drop-in mag block. I use the metalform 32-round mags. most of the rest of the 9mm parts are RRA.

I personally wouldn't use a custom 9mm lower (one that doesn't need mag blocks) if registering as an SBR since that pretty much limits your ability to do anything else with it later.

I'm a fan of the colt-pattern for 9mm. Nothing else seems to run as reliably (though if I were hell-bent on using glock mags, I'd try JP. I've not seen their new system and if I were to trust anyone to make it work it'd be them). People try to save $ by using glock mags or going with something cheaper like Oly and then end up selling it off in frustration when they don't work....

I've seen quite a few colts and colt clones in 9mm over the years and their owners always seem happy w/ the reliability.

I had my first malfunctions with mine this spring... I found a deal on some Colt mags not realizing Colt went cheap for a couple years and used c-products vs metalform mags... those c-products mags were crap. so I don't really blame the gun

-rvb

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive thrown around the idea of getting into a 9mm AR for a bit now myself. My friend has one that is suppressed that he brought out to my range an let me try out. It was a boat load of fun for sure. An I like the idea that they are the same patter as my regular ARs so would be a good trainer with cheaper ammo. But the only thing that's keep me from it so far is the price of getting into one.

Top Bottom