9mm (10 round max) versus 45ACP (10 round max)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The 9mm versus 45ACP debate has raged forever. I am a fan of both.
    If there is a 10 round max for pistol magazines, would you change over from 9mm(or other) to 45ACP?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Nope. Got too much invested in 9mm ammo, handguns and carbines. Plus, I hate the recoil of .45's so much so that I even bought an 1911 in 9mm.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I asked the question because I have heard that some prefer carrying a 9mm, because you can carry more rounds per magazine.
    If some ban went into effect which banned magazines over 10 rounds, this part of the 9mm vs. 45ACP debate would not be a factor at all.
    Maybe a first question should be, does anyone carry a 9mm instead of 45ACP because of higher number of rounds per magazine?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do you want expansion? or penetration?

....wait....what are we talking about?

...but seriously, with premium defense ammo, you will not find any scientifically reliable difference in "stopping power" so if it's to make you feel better, sure, change. If it's for actual effectiveness....I'll have to see the objective evidence.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I asked the question because I have heard that some prefer carrying a 9mm, because you can carry more rounds per magazine.
    If some ban went into effect which banned magazines over 10 rounds, this part of the 9mm vs. 45ACP debate would not be a factor at all.
    Maybe a first question should be, does anyone carry a 9mm instead of 45ACP because of higher number of rounds per magazine?
    No, I would still carry 9mm due to equal penetrating power, and also penetration of barriers might be better with a lighter faster boolit.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    The 9mm versus 45ACP debate has raged forever. I am a fan of both.
    If there is a 10 round max for pistol magazines, would you change over from 9mm(or other) to 45ACP?
    Sometimes I carry both, Everyday I have a NAA 22mag Mini in my front pocket holster, and either a Glock 36 or a Glock 19 in a Kangaroo Holster. It depends on where i'm going that day as to what Glock I carry. Having 15rds of 9mm is more comforting, but I really like the .45,and for some reason I seem to shoot the G36 better.I like having the little 22mag for backup. The holster I made has a place for 5 extra rounds. If I had to pick a 10rd handgun it would be a .45, I feel you should carry the firearm that you know like the back of your hand and have trained with,If thats a 9mm then carry the 9mm..

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    A lot also depends on what you are carrying. For instance, my CCW is a sub compact Kimber. IMO, the 9mm is the perfect round for such a compact pistol. I can shoot it all day and never get sore. I feel, even though they are available in .45acp, it would be more recoil than I would like. Exactly why I changed from my Ruger LCP in favor of the heavier Kimber while keeping the same approx. sized pistol.

Same goes for capacity.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

My .40 S&W magazine (Kahr) only holds 5 rounds. My other one holds 8 or 9 (XD). This "10 round" conversation must be for the non-compact folks?

Maybe ask: "For those that carry 10+ rounds today, would you change calibers if limited to 10?"

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I rarely carry more than a ten round magazine to begin with. Generally carry 11 rounds of 9mm or 9 rounds of .45 just depends on my mood, what I'm wearing, and where I'm going. Having the big ol .45 doesnt make me feel any safer than when I'm carrying the 9.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That is a good question. I've always thought of it as being a choice of quantity vs. quality. Then I bought a Glock 29 and realized that you can have both. Sure, it's an ugly little gun. Sure, it's got a trigger that makes me long for that nerf gun I had when I was a kid. It's certainly no CZ, 1911 or Hi Power, but it's got 10 rounds of 10mm on board a package that's not too difficult to conceal, shoots when the trigger is pulled and hits where I point it.

Then again, given a 10 round magazine, I could get the same from a Delta Elite. The issue is finding a 10 round mag for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No, I would still carry 9mm due to equal penetrating power, and also penetration of barriers might be better with a lighter faster boolit.

In my experience, it is the opposite when discussing handgun calibers and the resulting wounds to the person on the other side of the barrier. I have got to see a lot of folks that were shot while they are inside of a car and the bullets passed through glass or sheet metal first. The lighter/faster calibers tend to do less damage than heavier/slower ones.

My guess, and its only a guess, is the higher speed projectiles fragment earlier, so the pieces that strike have less retained weight and penetrate less deeply.

Remember street thugs seldom use quality ammo, so of course your experiences may be different. Anyway, it was enough of a difference for me to stop carrying the free issued .40 and pay for my own .45 for duty use.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Nope. Got too much invested in 9mm ammo, handguns and carbines. Plus, I hate the recoil of .45's so much so that I even bought an 1911 in 9mm.

I'm of the belief that your carry gun HAS to be fun at the range too. If you don't enjoy shooting it, then you probably won't shoot it enough to be proficient.

In a high pressure situation the gun you're most familiar with could be a literal lifesaver.

Top Bottom