9mm (10 round max) versus 45ACP (10 round max)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Nope. 9mm is still cheaper and works just as well. Nevermind the "stopping power" argument. All that matters is shot placement. Plus I'm of the mindset that a .45 has to be a 1911 and it seems that modern ones are finicky at best until you hit around the $1,000 mark.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    poster_xjbwzku4fy.jpg

Just sayin!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If anything passes, who's going to be checking me to make sure I comply?
    Better keep it locked in the safe because if you use an illegal magazine for your own protection, you could very easily find yourself a felon (depending on the laws that may or may not get passed).

That being said, I'd rather be a felon and alive than dead and ........... well dead.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Funny thing is, 357 magnum is about on par with a lot of modern 9mm loads, and quite behind 45acp.

Number wise anyway.

Only thing 357 magnum has going for it is stuffing a 180gr+ Hardcast in it, to make yourself a portable drill press.

According to Marshal and Sanow the 357 125 gr JHP is still the king! (And I've seen a few shootings with it myself to convience me it works as best as anything even when Murphey's law pops up) Much more than the 9mm. I carry a 9mm and 357 Mag but if I could only have one gun it would be a 357 wheelgun for lots of reasons but the 125 gr JHP would be 1 reason!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Funny thing is, 357 magnum is about on par with a lot of modern 9mm loads, and quite behind 45acp.

Number wise anyway.

Only thing 357 magnum has going for it is stuffing a 180gr+ Hardcast in it, to make yourself a portable drill press.

Huh?

357 Mag hydra-shok, as one example puts out 575 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

45 HSTs put out 404.

I don't think there's a 9mm that breaks into the 400 range.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Keep in mind that a 9mm in the chest is still better than a S&W .500 Magnum in the arm. Shot placement is key.

Most of the time, the higher power the round, the more difficult it is to handle the recoil and make good shot placement on follow up shots.

If you can handle the super killer magnum blower-upper round just as easily as the lower power round...then take the extra power. If recoil, magazine capacity and firearm size were all equal...then the higher power round would and should always win.

But in real life, the more powerful the round, the more difficult it is to handle due to recoil physics. And the larger the round, the less rounds your gun will carry or the gun will need to be larger to carry the same number of rounds.

The size and capacity issues affect concealed carriers much more than they affect those who open carry. But everyone is affected by the recoil attributes of each round.

Just my thoughts and :twocents:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Shot placement is everything. Recovery time to next shot may be very important depending on how fast things unfold, and they can unfold really fast. The 9mm is lethal enough to carry. 9mm is much less expensive to practice with, which makes it likely you will be better with it due to simply more practice with it. This may mean that you are able to make better shot placements due to increased practice, and a faster follow up shot if necessary because you are not recovering from recoil.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't own nor have ever shot a .45, but most all american special forces use it for some reason. American thinking....bigger is better

If I was limited to hardball by the Geneva Convention, I would too. I'm not. A 9mm with a good, modern defense load (hollowpoint) is right in there with the best .45 loads for stopping aggression.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If I was limited to hardball by the Geneva Convention, I would too. I'm not. A 9mm with a good, modern defense load (hollowpoint) is right in there with the best .45 loads for stopping aggression.

Not to get off topic or split hair but it was actually the Hague Treaty that restricted Hollow Points. Also since the late 1990's the USAF has been issuing JHP for the Beretta M9 to USAF Security Forces at stateside bases. The USAF had a bunch of shootings in the 1990's and while they stopped the threat the AF leadership wanted better performance and USAF JAG ruled stateside AF Security Forces were doing a domestic type LE duty and thus the JHP is authorized. The AF only issues the JHP for the 9mm M9. The M16/4 and everything else is FMJ. Whenever anyone deploys overseas they revert to 100% FMJ

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not to get off topic or split hair but it was actually the Hague Treaty that restricted Hollow Points. Also since the late 1990's the USAF has been issuing JHP for the Beretta M9 to USAF Security Forces at stateside bases. The USAF had a bunch of shootings in the 1990's and while they stopped the threat the AF leadership wanted better performance and USAF JAG ruled stateside AF Security Forces were doing a domestic type LE duty and thus the JHP is authorized. The AF only issues the JHP for the 9mm M9. The M16/4 and everything else is FMJ. Whenever anyone deploys overseas they revert to 100% FMJ

Point taken, and I stand corrected.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    One small hit is better than one big miss.
    If you can handle the recoil of a 45 the better for you.
    If the recoil throws the bullet away from the target what good is the shoot.
    I just do not like the feel and/or grip of a 1911. I can control my p-95 in small groups.
    If push comes to shove. I am sure I could do damage with a 45. Why should I chance it.

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Premium defensive ammo narrows the gap between 9mm and .45, but there is still a gap. There's no way around physics, and the best .45 that expands and penetrates will always destroy more tissue than the best expanding 9mm. This may or may not be significant, depending on the dynamics of the fight. Even premium bullets sometimes do not expand (Murphy's Law), and when that happens, I want the bullet that was bigger in the first place if I'm comparing calibers one on one.

I often carry my Walther PPS in 9mm, however, for considerations other than pure effectiveness. I consider my PPS a replacement and step up in power from my .38 J frame, not as a replacement for a service size pistol. If I'm going to carry a compact or service size pistol, it will be in .40 or .45.

If we are talking handguns and a 10 round limit, I see no problem in the heat of a typical gunfight that could have been solved with a smaller, lighter bullet. Providing, of course, than one can maintain proficiency with the larger caliber.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have an SR9 which has a 17+1 capacity. It's my usual choice for EDC unless clothing dictates a smaller profile. Then it's the sig with 6 or 7+1. If a 10 round ban is passed, i will definitely look into a .45 for non-summer carry. It will take time to become comfortable with the definite firearm, but the idea of carrying a 9mm thats only about half full is stupid.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Huh?

357 Mag hydra-shok, as one example puts out 575 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

45 HSTs put out 404.

I don't think there's a 9mm that breaks into the 400 range.

10mm FTW! :rockwoot:

10mm Underwood 155g Speed bonded hollow points run about 1500 fps and put out 775 ft/lbs of energy.

Underwood also has a 9mm 115 +P+ round that is rated at over 500 ft/lbs.

Top Bottom