• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    mrortega, I'm all for people standing up for, and helping each other out, and if you are able to stop a crime in progress without putting yourself or anyone else at risk.... GREAT!
    BUT........ You don't say that you observed a crime or anything else that would be considered any of our business.
    My wife and I rarely argue, but I can imagine what my response might be if in the same situation, someone tries to stop my car who's not in uniform or a car with flashing red and blue lights!

Continue the scenario a little further and let's say this guy did continue to get out of HIS car, and didn't obey your " command"! What do you do next?
    What if he comes towards you to ask you what you want? You take his actions as aggressive and pull your gun? Then what?... He pulls his?... One or both of you end up shot?
    I guess it was lucky for him ( and perhaps you too!) that he "looked like a regular guy" ! Who knows what could have happened if he " had on baggy, almost sloppy clothes" (form your gun shop thread, for those wondering)!

Seriously, things could have gone down quite differently, and someone could have gotten hurt, or killed! Could you live with that?
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't there, and deciding to get involved can be a crap shoot! By the information you gave us, I don't see where I would have felt like it was any of my business! Not saying you were wrong or right, Just that if it was me in the car, I would have at least told you to mind your own effin business!!!:)

Could not have said it better myself.....

mrortega seems to have a knack for finding trouble...Glad he is cool headed and even tempered.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Could not have said it better myself.....

mrortega seems to have a knack for finding trouble...Glad he is cool headed and even tempered.

I'm glad I met him in person before he went crazy and started posting crazy **** on INGO! That way I know he is just a good hearted guy who likes to help people and sometimes doesn't word things the way all the internet warriors want him to. Otherwise I probably would think he is crazy and avoid him like the plague :D

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I know you enjoy it when I call you but calm down, it wasn't THAT exciting... :rolleyes:
    Man are you vain? Wasn't there a song about publicity hounds like you? I'm going to do a separate thread about a little experience I had today. It involves counterfitting, a cop and some following around. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Maybe a huge shoot out with multiple bank robbers like some of the common sense challenged here think that I want.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Thanks for sharing this real life situation. I think it helps all of us who carry to place ourselves in your shoes. My thought process would be the same except no one would have ever known I was armed unless "I feared for my life or that of anyone in my immediate party". If I think I'm going to be physically harmed leading to trauma or death, I will defend myself or those under my care. That is why I carry. No other reason. Call 911 and let LE do their job.

Also remember that in domestic disputes, the person (female in this case) who appears to be at odds with her partner could and would likely turn on you, as a witness or otherwise. Ask any LEO. Domestic Disturbance's are very, very bad news. A bank robber is far more predictable.

Also, great detail but please add some line spacing as a courtesy. My posts are notoriously long and the only way some people can get thru them is by me spacing things out.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    kudos to you. That could have been my daughter in the car with some a$$hat. I respect what you did and I'm glad it turned out o.k.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Last night I was feeling pretty bad for the dude. He looked more like a confused, scared kid. He tried to yell out the window to me that he was just trying to get her to take him to work. (That's when I told him to get back into the car.) The girl could have been a real bi*** who was pissed about something. My wife kept telling me to drop the feelings and be glad for what I did to stabilize the situation. So I have that peace. I'm sure LEOs see some really terrible, heart-wrenching things that happen between people and they have to absorb it without going nuts. My hats off to them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Like I mentioned earlier, if a "CRIME" was witnessed then it would be appropriate to step in and do something! Who's to say who the the "bad guy" is in that situation? What if the female was the pyscho?
    Something else to think about... Would any of you feel the same urge to " get involved" if the male was the driver, screaming at the woman to get out?..... What if it was two women?.... Two men?
    It seems like just because the female was the one doing the screaming, the male was the troublemaker!? Just a thought!:dunno:

Also, should mrortega have followed her home and hang out to make sure the mean man doesn't come home and kill her? Where does your responsibility stop once YOU have escalated the situation and possibly pushed the guy over the edge?

Valid points on questioning the rationale to get involved because it appeared to be man-against-woman aggression. But the reality is that the disparity of force factor is legitimate. It's not foolish or illogical to choose to act differently based on the players and their roles. It's actually smart. It means that one isn't applying a cookie-cutter response to a situation in which it might not be best applied.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The story took a disturbing turn for me at this point.
    They say allergies can kill you. I guess in this case my wife's allergies could have hurt me!

I still take her to the same place for shots each week and she is getting sick of me stepping out of the van, stretching and saying, "Hey, baby, I just feel like yellin' at somebody."

Top Bottom