• ...and so much more!
  • s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    According to our President
    Out of 900 how many were involved in crimes with illegal handguns/rifles?

How many were suicides?

Can somebody find this information?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    According to our President
    Out of 900 how many were involved in crimes with illegal handguns/rifles?

How many were suicides?

Can somebody find this information?

Umm I don't think he said anything about illegal did he? I think that is his out.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Umm I don't think he said anything about illegal did he? I think that is his out.

He didn't. Thats why hopefully someone can stumble on the firearm deaths for the year. Out of the 900 deaths how many were done using firearms that were not purchased legally? How man of those were suicides?

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Where is Kidd? He spouted off these numbers last weekend to me. What I recall the majority of deaths by firearms were suicides which the agency conducting research didn’t separate the numbers suicide vs homicide.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Nearly 2/3 of ALL gun death in the US is suicide, but these numbers are tallied on a year basis and they don't really release day to day recording of it.

He could be telling the truth, but then he could be lying out of his backside and none of us could prove/find out otherwise.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Where is Kidd? He spouted off these numbers last weekend to me. What I recall the majority of deaths by firearms were suicides which the agency conducting research didn’t separate the numbers suicide vs homicide.
    On researching the "new" numbers (2011) the other night they have separated between homicide and suicide. The numbers are still no worse in favor of gun control though. Still around 2/3 of ALL gun deaths are suicide. Only around 11,100 homicides by firearm if I remember correctly, but what they don't openly distinguish is whether or not any of those were justified self-defense shootings or not.

I'll be digging deeper in coming weeks.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Yes that is a very general and vague statement. The circumstances of those deaths should be examined, as well as, the types of firearms used. A common theme of his speech was playing on peoples emotions through vague statements which are not necessarily false. However, those statements leave much to the imagination, and do not provide enough information to make an informed rational decision.

I would also like to read a copy of the document he signed verbatim. Would I be wrong in saying that every American has a right to know the specifics of that executive order?

I would like to discuss how arbitrary the proposed weapon bans truly are, and how ill informed many people are, including some friends of mine who own home defense guns. However, that could easily go off topic from this thread.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    out of that supposed 900, i wonder how many are justified, how many are from law enforcement, and how many are self inflicted.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    No offense, but that's useless. It's a name, city & state and date killed. No detail behind it without clicking through. Here's the first one that I clicked through on.

Police officer shoots, kills suspect on Chesterfield ramp | WTVR.com

A police shooting

If you click the more info link, it does come up with a full news story... I'm not saying it's perfect, but it was what I found on a quick google search... it would take someone going through each of the cases and organizing them into a cohesive list to make it usefull.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    We should ban police from having weapons.....

IF WE CAN JUST SAVE ONE LIFE, IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Let's use some common sense here backed with logic, rationale, and fact. So in wanting to do that I turn to the FBI's UCR and look under the expanded homicide tables for the data we might be able to use to at least estimate some legitimacy to his statement. As this shows there was a drop in murders by 1.9%. If we divide the 8,583 murders with firearms in 2011 by 12 months, we get an average of 715.25 per month. It has been almost one month to a T since the Sandy Hook shooting and it has been proven that there is less crime in colder months, so I would say our figure is much less, especially considering the steady decline in crime rates/murder rates.

Sure my argument isn't exact, giving us an actual figure to go on but the data I'm using comes from the very sources he should be using. Could 900 people have been killed by guns since Sandy Hook? Yes. Is it statistically likely? Not at all.

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Let's use some common sense here backed with logic, rationale, and fact. So in wanting to do that I turn to the FBI's UCR and look under the expanded homicide tables for the data we might be able to use to at least estimate some legitimacy to his statement. As this shows there was a drop in murders by 1.9%. If we divide the 8,583 murders in 2011 by 12 months, we get an average of 715.25 per month. It has been almost one month to a T since the Sandy Hook shooting and it has been proven that there is less crime in colder months, so I would say our figure is much less, especially considering the steady decline in crime rates/murder rates.

Sure my argument isn't exact, giving us an actual figure to go on but the data I'm using comes from the very sources he should be using. Could 900 people have been killed by guns since Sandy Hook? Yes. Is it statistically likely? Not at all.

Interesting.....

The FBI and the CDC report TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT numbers for firearms homicides in 2011.....

I'll certainly be digging later

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Interesting.....

The FBI and the CDC report TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT numbers for firearms homicides in 2011.....

I'll certainly be digging later

Well I'll take your statement as a chance for some clarification. Homicide and murder are not the same thing. A homicide may not necessarily include malice like a police action shooting, self-defense, negligent discharge, etc,..

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Let's use some common sense here backed with logic, rationale, and fact. So in wanting to do that I turn to the FBI's UCR and look under the expanded homicide tables for the data we might be able to use to at least estimate some legitimacy to his statement. As this shows there was a drop in murders by 1.9%. If we divide the 8,583 murders with firearms in 2011 by 12 months, we get an average of 715.25 per month. It has been almost one month to a T since the Sandy Hook shooting and it has been proven that there is less crime in colder months, so I would say our figure is much less, especially considering the steady decline in crime rates/murder rates.

Go to the State by State table and add just CA, IL, NY, and NJ
    ( I picked those four because of their extremely strict gun control laws)

Just those 4 states account for 37% of ALL gun homicides in the US in 2011

I posted that on FB with the numbers and a whole group of anti's went mute. :D

Top Bottom