• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Unless you have a bunch of 06 going unused there is plenty of 8mm out there for comparable prices to new 06. Still sometimes a guy just wants to do something because he can. Be sure you aneal before you start and you should have no problems. I can tell you from experiance the Lee Challenger press is not up to much of this work.

1. FL resize the '06 (or .270) in a .30-06 die, decapping simultaneously
    2. FL resize again in an 8mm die WITHOUT the neck expander ball/rod in place
    3. Cut to approximate length with a small copper tubing cutter
    4. lube neck interior with powdered mica and run through the 8MM die WITH the neck expander ball/rod in place
    5. Trim to length with case trimmer
    6. Swage primer pockets (if milsurp)
    7. Anneal case neck/shoulder
    8. Tumble to clean
    9. Load and fire lighter loads to fireform on first time out.

I haven't had many case neck thickness issues but when I did I fireformed in a loose chambered Mauser and moved forward from there.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I always anneal the case necks by standing the cases in a small metal container filled with an inch of water. I heat the case necks with a propane torch till orange then tip them over in the water. Annealing makes the brass more flexible and gives you less split necks when trying to open the necks. I recommend this process especially if you use military brass. I also recommend you mark the case base with a "Sharpie" or some other permanent marker. As already mentioned, a wrong cartridge in a rifle would not be fun. I once necked down 500 7.62 x 51mm/308 brass to .243 by annealing them, backing off the sizing die, and making one quarter turns running the .243 die back to final sizing....no split necks.
    If you have a sizing die with a tapered neck expander it's better.
    Hoosier

Top Bottom