• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    To each his own, but Eugene Stoner designed the AR (actually M16) with the forward assist and the dust-cover.
    I've never had to use it either, but I'm still glad it's there.

Actually it was designed by Stoner as the AR15. M16 is the military designation. DarkShadow is correct, these features were not part of the original design...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Forward assist I can live without, as I can work through a malfunction without it.. Dust cover is another story. Last thing you want on an AR is grit getting into the locking lugs of the BCG. The dust cover really does do a good job of sealing up the firearm.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've been driving a car for more than 40 years. Never needed my emergency brake. Maybe I'll have it removed. You know, get rid of all that "dead-weight".

Naw, I would compare it more precisely to a trailer towing package on a vehicle. A lot of folks get them, and the vehicle never sees a trailer hitch in it's entire lifespan.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dust cover: important and always have it closed if I'm not shooting (unless I am unaware that it's open).

Forward assist: won't use it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've been driving a car for more than 40 years. Never needed my emergency brake. Maybe I'll have it removed. You know, get rid of all that "dead-weight".

The Emergency Brake is also called a Parking Brake and I use it all the time. ;)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    To each his own, but Eugene Stoner designed the AR (actually M16) with the forward assist and the dust-cover.
    I've never had to use it either, but I'm still glad it's there.

The original AR15 did not have a FA. It was added after there were so many problems with jamming from the use of dirty powder and lack of cleaning. Modern powders and proper cleaning make the FA unnecessary.

Top Bottom