• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I took the ak47 out and got to shoot it finally. After a lit a few rounds, there was an overwhelming smell of chemicals. This was at an indoor range.

I'm not too familiar with the concept of what is corrosive vs non-corrosive ammo. I read online that corrosive ammo makes a nasty smell. However, this was store bought modern Winchester 7.62x39 I was shooting off.

Maybe I was shooting corrosive ammo? Maybe the gun had enough corrosive ammo through it it was just burning some nasty from inside the barrel?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    7.69x39 just stinks..... but the things you said could enhance the smell I would think. And all my experiance is out-door shooting. I couldn't imagine shooting it indoors.

I used wolf, golden tiger and hotshot. The wolf seems most accurate. the golden-tiger seems cleanest (and its chinese) and the hotshot has the least flash and is also very accurate. I have no experiance with the winchester. But would think it would be cleaner. THEY ALL STINK! more than any ammo Ive ever shot.

I think the fact that most guns that shoot 7.62x39 are made for dirty gritty ammo means they can make the round from junk and it still do its job well.

I llove the smell of gun-powder in the morning air.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Oh I love the smell of gunpowder, but this was the smells of burning chemicals. lol

I've fired 7.62x54r on an indoor range and it smelled strongly of gunpowder, this was something very different. icky

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    People say Wolf ammo stinks.
    I never noticed, I used to shoot a lot of Black Powder and anything smell better than that.

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If there was a perfume for women that consisted of burnt gun powder and deisel fuel, I'ld buy it for my bride. But I have noticed that when I shoot my AKs and SKSs, usually Wolf or Norinco ammo, there is a bad odor as well. I shoot outdoors too. It also leaves a slimy yellow film on your fingers as well. I for one have yet to find the explaination for this concern.
    I have also shot the Wolf Mil Classic 55g SP in my AR, but did not notice the odor???

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Not that I know of. I have a few different makes of ammo. I think I'll be making down to the Wilbur Wright range this Friday, we'll see!

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    outdoor test. Fired some golden bear and a few other surplus, all smelled fine. It was 123 gr fmj winchester than smelled awful! I thought it'd be the cheap stuff! Weird

Top Bottom