• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you had $500 to spend would you buy a new Aimpoint scope for your ar, buy a new glock pistol, or buy a new remingtion 700 in .308.

I currently only have BUIS on my ar, I already have a Glock pistol, and i alreadky have several .22 rifles.

In the past I would have opted for a new gun, but lately have been going down the accessories/optics/conversion kits, etc route to complete the guns I have and I have been very happy. So the Aimpoint might get my vote if you shoot the AR quite a bit. If not, you could pick up a less expensive red dot and some other items.

If you did not already have several 22's I would suggest one. If you don't have an M&P 15-22 that still might be a good purchase for cheaper shooting/training on the AR platform.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    You might want to consider an EOTech 512. They can be bought for under $400.00 (I just bought mine brand new for $364.00) then buy some ammo and have a ball sending precision rounds down range.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Aimpoint Pro and use the rest on ammo. Like others have said, the new rifle will make for the need for a new scope and new ammo. Glocks are everywhere and you already have one. Finish you AR before going a new route.

This.

krvincen

Marksman
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    I would go with the aimpoint myself, but that is because I don't have access to anyplace longer than 100 yards so no need for anything but my ar. That or Id get another upper to fire some other cartridge.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Get the Remington. You can always get optics . Also real shooters use open sights

I must disagree with this. I made my living (and stayed alive) by using quality optics. If you're saying that I'm not a "real shooter", I have a DD-214 that says otherwise. Even the best iron sight marksman can be helped by the quicker, easier acquisition of a target that a good reflex/red dot (CQB) or BCD or MilDot (long range) sight/scope offers.
    :twocents:

My choice would be a Vortex Spark ($180-$200) or strikefire ($140-$170) or similar quality red dot, and have all of that money left over for more goodies for the AR, or like the others have said, more ammo.

Last edited:

JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Well I don't have an argument against more ammo, and i have considered a cheaper optic (Sparc, Strikefire). I just worry about the Vortex vs Aimpoint quality argument. I'd rather spend a little more up front and save in the long run.
    I'm pretty sure the Glock idea is out, unless i come across a screamin' deal.
    And probably the Rem 700 is out due to i would still need an optic and thats way over budget.

Thanks for all the input so far. You all have taken 2 of my choices of the table, and added one. So keep the suggestions coming.

Later

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Optic ... finish the build. Aimpoint, EOTech, or similar if it makes you more comfortable. Personally, I would look at a Leupold 1.5-5 VXR w/ SPR or a Vortex 1-4 PST so I am not fully dependent on batteries, YMMV.

Top Bottom