• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    I have been planning on purchasing a TC Muzzleloader for this upcoming deer season, and many after it for that matter. One of the reasons was for the extended accuracy over my smooth bore 12 guage, and the extended hunting that I would be able to do. However, I rarely get the chance to go out in Muzzleloader season anyways.

I was under the impression that I would need a complete lower built for the 458 Socom, so I had dismissed it for a long time. Now that I know that you use it with a standard lower, and standard gi mags I really want one.

I can get the muzzleloader that I want for about 600, maybe better. The RRA 458 upper can be had for $700.

I know that it isnt really comparing apples to apples, but what arguments would you guys make either way. I think hunting with my AR would be awesome, but I think that hunting with a muzzleloader, with basically only one shot is pretty awesome also. I took my first deer with a ML last year.

Thanks for any input.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Buy an Encore frame and I'll sell you a barrel that will shoot the 458 SOCOM cartridge and/or the rimmed version, 458 BFG interchangeably.

That way you can have both!

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    To be brutally honest?

The trajectory of the 458 isn't any better than a shotgun sabot... thats why Indiana allows it ;)

The 458 SOCOM, as far as bullet diameter, energy, and trajectory are concerned is simply a more expensive version of a 20 guage sabot.

Unless you have some kind of thing about using a real rifle, your burning money and spinning your wheels. You will get a little better accuracy from a 458 upper, but not enough to make a difference at the ranges your talking... or to justify the price. A shotgun sabot is the most practical and economical method for extending your range within Indianas legal confines

If I were you, I would be looking at a few different options:
    A) Get a rifled barrel for my existing gun
    B) Buy a nice Muzzle loader
    C) Purchase a fancy-pants dedicated slug gun (Beneli Supernova / M2 or Browning Silver)
    D) Both A & B

Last edited:

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    To be brutally honest?

The trajectory of the 458 isn't any better than a shotgun sabot... thats why Indiana allows it ;)

The 458 SOCOM, as far as bullet diameter, energy, and trajectory are concerned is simply a more expensive version of a 20 guage sabot.

Unless you have some kind of thing about using a real rifle, your burning money and spinning your wheels. You will get a little better accuracy from a 458 upper, but not enough to make a difference at the ranges your talking... or to justify the price. A shotgun sabot is the most practical and economical method for extending your range within Indianas legal confines

If I were you, I would be looking at a few different options:
    A) Get a rifled barrel for my existing gun
    B) Buy a nice Muzzle loader
    C) Purchase a fancy-pants dedicated slug gun (Beneli Supernova / M2 or Browning Silver)
    D) Both A & B

Thanks for that info. After reading this and doing a little shopping/research today, I believe that I may be back to the muzzle loader.

I do have a stripped AR lower so who knows, I may still have a designated 458 someday.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Buy an Encore frame and I'll sell you a barrel that will shoot the 458 SOCOM cartridge and/or the rimmed version, 458 BFG interchangeably.

That way you can have both!

:yesway: Get the encore pro hunter with a black powder barrel. Then you can add extra barrels later. If I was a more serious hunter this is exactly what I would do.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Please, do yourself a favor and check out the Savage 10ML-II if your considering the muzzleloading route. They are designed to shoot smokeless powder (and they can still use black powder or substitutes if you take it to a state that requires smokey powder). I use mine for gun and muzzleloading seasons. I can easily shoot accurately (3-4 inch groups at 200 yards) with mine, and I don't have to rush home to clean it (I of course use modern smokeless rifle powder). It can be loaded with mild load like a 250 grain bullet at 1800 fps (1800 ft-lbs, plenty for deer) up to some pretty potent loads like a 300 grain Barnes Original at 2275 fps (over 3400 ft-lbs., which should kill anything on the continent). If you know where to look, you can get them for just over $500 for a synthetic stock, blued metal version. Feel free to ask me for more info if you're interested.

Top Bottom