• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    With the dies on two week back order and the brass 8 week back order I will be all gun and no bang for a while. I am ready to work up some whitetail ammo. I'm going to La gator hunting in Sept and will whack some hogs with this gun using the loads worked up for deer. :rockwoot:

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Anyone ever try the 300 gr .458 Barnes Original Semi Spitzer in the 458 Socom? I used it quite extensively in the Savage 10mlII at 2250-2300 FPS and it is a heck of a whitetail bullet out to 300 yds.

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Dwight I am going to start with the Rem 300gr as I have a couple boxes on the bench. I found some of my moulds for gas check bullets and going to see what the weight for each bullet is and then look up a load for them. However I will most likely shoot the Barnes ttsx bullets for hog and deer hunting. I'm looking at shooting cast for a while to get her limbered up.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you need some brass, let me know. I will have to look and see what I have, but I know I have at least 50 that have been sized and primed with CCI 350's that I might part with. I've got @500 rounds loaded. I'm still on the back order list for 1000 pieces... whenever Starline gets motivated to run more.

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Doc I rustled up 27 pcs of brass yesterday from a co worker who had a socom upper but never fired it. The brass has been fired at some point by ?? I would be interested in buying the brass you mentioned. Like you said we may be fired up but that don't mean starline is. Let me know how much you want for them. Also do you have any load data for the IMR 4895 powder using the 300 gr jhp or the 325 FTX ? I got 8 pounds of the IMR 4895. Thanks Netman

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I just wonder if shooting cast bullets very much will cause plugging of the gas port in the barrel.

The Rem . 458 300gr bullet is a good bullet, it upsets quicker then the Barnes and at ranges under 200 yds seems to shoot as well. The Barnes seems to be a little more stable at longer range. However I am speaking from my experience with these bullets being fired from a different platform, the Savage 10mlII , which of course entails these being used with a sabot. Without the sabot, things likely will change as there will be no sabot slippage to deal with. The Barnes at 2250-2300 fps almost always gives a full pass through from the muzzle to 300 yds, and is a good choice for raking shots or really big animals. We did a survey a few years back and had among the members on another forum over 100 deer killed with the Barnes and all but one was a full pass through. Very uncommon to recover one of those bullets. The Remington did nicely also, plus it is alot cheaper. Expansion seemed to be quicker. The jacket on the Remmy is a little thinner plus the nose profile is flatter.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Doc I rustled up 27 pcs of brass yesterday from a co worker who had a socom upper but never fired it. The brass has been fired at some point by ?? I would be interested in buying the brass you mentioned. Like you said we may be fired up but that don't mean starline is. Let me know how much you want for them. Also do you have any load data for the IMR 4895 powder using the 300 gr jhp or the 325 FTX ? I got 8 pounds of the IMR 4895. Thanks Netman

I don't think IMR 4895 would be a good choice, to slow. IMR 4198 is much more popular and is what I am using with the 325gr FTX bullets. I am getting very good results and I have data for that

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    VV N120 is right next to IMR 4198 on the burn rate chart and is a very clean powder, might be just the ticket for a direct impingement system.

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Thanks Allen.
    Dwight I'm thinking the 300 jhp just for getting the rifle limbered up and for blasting away. I plan to either hunt with the Barnes or the FTX. In regards to the deer killing bullets I too hunted with and have killed many a deer with my muzzleloader. I have a old MK85 I bought directly from Tony Knight out of his truck back in 1990. He and a nearby lawyer traded turkey hunts and Knight would come to SW Indiana and hunt near my home. I got to know him through hunting. I always shot 100 gr of Pyrodex with a 240 gr jhp using the knight sabot. FPS ???
    Every deer I ever shot with the 240 jhp I recovered the bullet under the opposite side skin. Mushroomed perfectly. I did switch to a 260 gr or something like that one season. Shot several deer with zero recovery of the bullet. All pass through. 20 grs or so more made the bullet pass through. I liked the ballistics of the 240 jhp for open field hunting. And it shot small groups at 200 yds. I live and hunt in the reclaim coal mines of SW Indiana. I hunt out on a small portable tripod in the open fields and have shot some really nice deer.
    However now I mainly hunt heavy to semi open areas and the 458socom will fill the bill.
    In regards to using cast bullets I am a former BPCR shooter and have 4570s set up for Friendship and other shooting faciltiys. Along with that I also have many bullet moulds for the 4570. I also have some 4570 lever actions that I have used for hunting outside of Indiana. I have bullet moulds for those situations too. I know by shooting a lot of cast in the AR platform at sometime there will be issues. Got that covered too. I am a LEO and two of the guys on my shift are Colt Armorers.
    I now have the Leupold FXR mounted in the Larue mount and on the rifle. Now I need some ammo:popcorn:
    Once I get this rifle up and running my plans are to figure out which cast bullet the rifle likes, cast up a pile of bullets and let her eat.

Are you guys sure the IMR 4895 won't work? I have plenty of other powders however I would like to nibble the big jug down some. if not a good powder No problem.
    Thanks for your help
    Netman

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am not sure it will not work.
    Just have done a bunch of reading and most powders being used are pistol powders like H110 which is very popular but for a mid length gas system it is a little fast. Once again based solely on what I have read. I know a lot of people use it with good luck.

I just cant emphasize enough how pleased I was with the 4198 in group size, velocity and recoil.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Also do you have any load data for the IMR 4895 powder using the 300 gr jhp or the 325 FTX ? I got 8 pounds of the IMR 4895. Thanks Netman

I don't have any data for those bullets, I have data for 44.67gr of IMR 4895 with the Remington 405gr FN, c.o.l. 2.135. That's a max load, 109% case fill, so down load it to start with. That should get you 1598fps from a 16" barrel.

I've had problems with those feeding in my 458, I'm sure it's the flat nose, but still a blast to shoot!:D

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Da thanks for the reply. I found a load sheet on the net by Marty with the 405 as the bullet in question with I believe the same load you mentioned. That is where I got my hope to use IMR 4895 from.
    Allen I do have the 4198 powder and plan to use it as my start up powder for my rifle. All I need now is the dies and I'm off to the bench to load up. I keep looking at my email waiting to see the dies have been shipped email. Should be very soon. I ordered the Redding dies from Sinclair. I emailed Starline today asking for some kind of time line.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Is there a ballistic-tip type bullet available for a .458 loading? (a la LEVERlution) and if so, is it AR friendly?

Still going to have a .458 upper someday, just tend to work out all the details long in advance...

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen I do have the 4198 powder and plan to use it as my start up powder for my rifle. All I need now is the dies and I'm off to the bench to load up. I keep looking at my email waiting to see the dies have been shipped email. Should be very soon. I ordered the Redding dies from Sinclair. I emailed Starline today asking for some kind of time line.

Well if you lived close I would loan you my Hornady dies until you get your redding

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Well Allen thanks for the kindness. If we were closer I would take you up on the loaner and pay you with catfish filets.
    Dark the FTX bullet is the lever bullet by Hornady and the TTSX is the Barnes bullet. The barnes bullet was designed for the socom.

Top Bottom