• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

Just loaded up and shot my first 15 reloads for 45-70.

405gr lead bullets loaded with varget(44gr, 45gr, 52gr) with OAL @ 2.550

WOW what a difference!

The 44 grain varget loads felt like mouse farts compared to the 52 grain loads...and this wasnt even max...?

I really dont think that I am recoil sensitive, my M44 mosin is my favorite gun to shoot....but 5 of these @ 52 grains was enough to let another guy shoot it.

- Just how "stout" are the max loads? The Lyman and the Lee manuals both listed this load under 28,000psi....and they say the 1895 marlin action can handle a lot more....35k+?...Im not going to push the boundaries, but a 405gr bullet moving around 1750FPS got my attention FAST!

Huge blast and muzzle rise with fierce recoil(this is my first go around with 45-70)....gun is just fine and took it like a champ, but if any other rifle recoiled like that I would be looking for pieces of it on the ground.

Now all I can think about is loading up some more and going shooting....hehe...addicted.
    I also dug one of the slugs out of the back of an 8x8 ceder fence post...it was just dangling out the back of it....pried it out with my pocket knife.

How are the "buffalo bore" loads?...invest in a padded vest?

God bless
    -Shred

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I load 45-70 for a 14" T/C Contender and a Winchester 1886. There are different pressure loads for 45-70, depending on the gun and action. My 405 grain loads are not really comfortable in the T/C, but are great in the 1886. That load is for Trapdoors, so it is not a heavy hitter. I have a nice, light 300 grain cast load with 13gr of AA#5 that is nice to shoot out of the T/C.

I know a guy from pistol silhouette shooting years ago that used to cast a 500gr and 600gr bullet for his T/C. They were pretty brutal. There is a decent range of bullet weights that should accommodate whatever you want to shoot with your gun. Have fun.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Color me confused, but you went from 44, to 45, to...52?! Some folks go up in 1/2 grain increments...not 7 grains! :D

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Like Broom_jm said, mot guys will progress up in 1/2 or one grain increments. jumping the canyon will probably make for a pretty big jump in recoil too. I assume that you are loading for a Marlin action, since that is what you mentioned? My dad has one, and we have played around with quite a few loads for it. One thing that I do know is that he tends to stay with 350 grain slugs, as the recoil with the heavier ones can get quite brutal before you start pushing the envelope. It isnt really a heavy gun, and those are some pretty large slugs that you are trying to push at a pretty decent clip.

You might look at some other powders too, as I know the straight walled, large volume 45/70 can make use of a few powders that many of the bottleneck cartridges cannot. If you can find it, you might really like to try Trail Boss powder for light loads. It is a relatively bulky powder, and great for reduced loads (especially with lead bullets) that approximate the old BP loads without all the mess, and fuss of loading BP.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like 45-70 for it's versatility, that said I've shot loads in my Marlin that probably loosened the fillings in my teeth. I'd like to see the Marlin with a heavy octagon barrel like the old Winchesters, extra weight can help soak up some of the kick.:)

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Color me confused, but you went from 44, to 45, to...52?! Some folks go up in 1/2 grain increments...not 7 grains! :D

Yes. I loaded some "trapdoor" loads as well as some "modern/1895/lever" loads....I figured Id be "safe" with the jump in grains because I was still well under max loads for the 1895. I couldnt tell any difference between the 44gr and 45gr loads. So I loaded a little more.

The only other 45-70 ammo that I had fired previously was Hornady LeverEvolution 325's.

I have some 300gr lead slugs to try later....but Varget is the only rifle powder(that i have) that plays well with lead according to the lee and lyman manuals....and info for "lever/1895" loads with lead/varget is non-existent in either manual.

I also noticed that case volumes vary from manufacturers....anyone know how starline and PMC brass compares to winchester or remington?

Thanks
    God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom