• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I have a bird problen in a barn and am wanting to do a major extermination. However I don't want to replace a $10,000+ dollar roof in the process. I did an experiment with some .22 shotshells, and even they have to much power for in the barn. I was looking to see if anybody would load me maybe 100 rounds of .410 ammo with 1/2 of a typical powder charge and use corn for shot? I am willing to pay you for your time and materials. Or if anybody has any other ideas i am open to that.:dunno:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Do you know what kind of birds are in there? Is this a wide open barn full of holes or a newer one where major openings can be closed up? Does this barn house other animals, or feed, hay or all of the above?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Why not use a cheap pellet gun?

Yeah, a pump would allow control of the velocity. But the problem is, one or two shots from either a shotgun or a pellet gun and the birds will slip out only to return later. Even if you shot them all ... God keeps makin more.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Have you thought about building a potato cannon and using wadding to shoot corn? :dunno:

(I am not advocating doing so, and am not responsible for injuries or damage that occur as a result) :D

Kind of a Corn-Fed Punt Gun?

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Some interesting thoughts. This barn does hold hay and other animal feed. It is a newer barn, but there are door opening because the cattle can come in and out so thats how the birds get in. I tried a pellet gun and it worked ok. Just thought some light corn loaded .410 might work better.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Some interesting thoughts. This barn does hold hay and other animal feed. It is a newer barn, but there are door opening because the cattle can come in and out so thats how the birds get in. I tried a pellet gun and it worked ok. Just thought some light corn loaded .410 might work better.

It probably would and it would be fun, I'd bet.

We've got to be thinking bird deterrent after you clear them all. You need to get a falcon.

falcon.jpg

bgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I agree that scaring them off is a very temporary fix. My relatives had a similar problem and ended up purchasing an ultrasonic bird repeller. Not sure how that would affect your livestock though. You'd have to ask your vet.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Orchards use mylar streamers to keep birds away. The most effective ones are two colors, my google-fu is weak right now, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding them at farm and fleet or similar stores.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Wait till a long hot dry spell the summer and then makes up a few pans of golden sparrow. Just make sure nothing else gets in at like dogs cats livestock. That stuff is amazing. Once watched a possum take a drink and it make it 15 feet.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I agree that scaring them off is a very temporary fix. My relatives had a similar problem and ended up purchasing an ultrasonic bird repeller. Not sure how that would affect your livestock though. You'd have to ask your vet.

My work has these, the birds perch on top of the speakers and crap on them.
    Not worth the money at all. :noway:

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Get some fake rubber snakes and place them around. A friend of mine put a couple of these on his carport, took care of the bird problem.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    What kind of shotshell are you using in your barn that is too powerful? I dont think any I have shot will break paper past 20 feet.

You may also try super colibris. Very low power 22LR. They are very quiet coming out of a rifle barrel, but also have the trajectory of a mortar shell.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'm liking the 410 corn loads - with a Saiga 410 and one of the new 30 rd drums....

Oh, and one of those bumpfire stocks...

Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing!

:D

Top Bottom