• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Just wondering what my .40 friends carry?

I've got a new Glock 23 that I shot for the first time yesterday and am going to start evaluating loads.

I shot Speer Gold Dot 155 grain JHPs and Winchester Ranger 180 grain JHPs.

The Speers were HOT but nothing I couldn't handle, actually it's comforting!

What do you guys carry and recommend?

Anyone with a Glock 23 as well?

Thanks,

FG12351

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    165gr HST

After considerable research and discussion with others, my everyday carry for my G23 is the 165gr Federal HSTs. From the ballistics numbers and the test pictures of their expansion, they appear to be a great SD round. Plus they will only run you about $24 per box of 50, assuming you can find them. :twocents:

Last edited:

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    In .40 I personally carry Gold Dots and like them. My gun likes them and they have a good rep and are pretty easy to find. I quit looking honestly after using these, but I still see them well regarded so no worries.

I'll watch to see what else I should try too I guess! :D

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    i carry 155/165gr gold dots loaded by doubletap

i feel i would rather have the extra velocity to promote expansion than to risk over penetration, thankfully i havent had to use them so i dont have any experience with how well they would work

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    I use Hornady TAP 180 Gr.
    Recommended by the folks at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I have a Glock 22

Last edited:

mg_srt

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Elkhart/South Bend
    After considerable research and discussion with others, my everyday carry for my G23 is the 165gr Federal HSTs. From the ballistics numbers and the test pictures of their expansion, they appear to be a great SD round. Plus they will only run you about $24 per box of 50, assuming you can find them. :twocents:
    bump for hst

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    Bump for HST...
    not to be confused with Hydra-Shok. Can find this stuff very easily though. The expansion of the HST round in all calibers is consistantly impressive.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Federal HST is the real deal. Nothing on the market right now has this kind of expansion, penetration, weight retention and resistance to jacket separation.

This link shows multiple tests done by LE departments and clearly show the superiority of HST ammunition over other types, including other Federal brands. The tests were sponsored by Federal, but the tests were all done by the LE departments.

LE - Wound Ballistics

hsttacticalle40it0.gif

Yes... It always looks just like this.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I got a box of the Corbon DPX stuff, as endorsed by Clint Smith. It has the Thunder Ranch imprimatur on it.

Thing is, I haven't had the opportunity to actually put any of it through the gun. Does anyone have experience with it?

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    WOW, lots of answers.

Sounds like the most popular are Speer Gold Dots in 155 and 165 grains and Federal HST in 165 grain.

Where does one purchase the Federal HST? I'm looking to buy in bulk online and save.

Looks like I need to buy some boxes and shoot more. DAMN!:rockwoot:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any hollowpoint that shoots reliably in your gun. For my XDs, that includes anything from 135 grain to 180 grain. I've put just about everything through it, from Speer Lawman 155gr to the HSTs, the Winchester SXTs, Ranger-T, whatever. I like variety.

Top Bottom