• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I recently purchased a ruger police service six and was thinking a of taking it deer hunting this year. I know that a .357 is pretty small to take on a deer but I'd like the challenge. What type of rounds should I buy for the hunt?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only taken one deer with .357 handgun, from a 6".
    But distance was just a shade over 50 yards.
    Location of hit, anything would have worked (spine).

Dunno if it slid between vert or if it hit one solid, but the bullet was recovered from the deer's nasal cavity (back of neck entrance, slid under cranium). Bumped skull under eye but stayed inside. Nice little surprise.

140gr Hornady LeverEvolution factory ammo.

user145889_pic5304_1325402977.jpg

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    have taken 11 deer with a python all with win 158 jhp in hand loads movin 1200 fps. 3 of thoes were deer around 200 lbs. and shots were from 30 to 80 yrds. 80 is probably pushin it for that round in a handgun.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Fixed or adjustable sights? The factory fixed sight seem to shoot too high with a bullet heavy enough for hunting (160-180 grain). Have you shot any heavy bullets through this ruger yet?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The LeverEvolution is a good round , but I have had much better results with Hornady 158gr. xtp's .

leverevolution is better suited to a longer barrel when possible. Certainly capable, but I think any 158 gr JSP would do well. (most of my factory JSP are 125 gr... not sure who makes one in 158 gr)

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Fixed or adjustable sights? The factory fixed sight seem to shoot too high with a bullet heavy enough for hunting (160-180 grain). Have you shot any heavy bullets through this ruger yet?
    Not yet, I've been busy with college and work but I'm trying to get around to it. Fixed sights.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    The 357mag is my favorite caliber. Most of what I see is 158g. I would be hesitant to use lighter weight bullets in a 357 revolver because of the flame cutting that occurs on the frame above the headspace. S&W even has a lower limit weight warning printed on some of their barrels. I would also be concerned about a good quick humane kill from a pistol. That leverevolution is looking for a rifle length barrel to hit its ballistics. Knock down power comes from velocity and weight. Velocity requires a longer bore. Hard to get both except from folks like Buffalo Bore or Corbon.
    lost

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Eh, shoot it til the forcing cone erodes and then rebarrel.
    I shoot 180's in .44 mags with WW296.
    Flame cut is decent, but only goes so far. How many 'til the forcing cone is wiped out? I reckon at least 5K rounds.
    Know a guy that had a 29 that was a spitting machine, IIRC he had 10+K before rebarrel.

The way I see it, if you shoot enough of the nasty stuff to screw up your barrel, you've had a damn good time.
    And with that much in ammo expenditure, a cost of a rebarrel job isn't much of a deal.
    Gotta live man. Shoot a magnum like a magnum :)

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I'm not a handgun man so pardon my ignorance....

Several folks on my website forum have had their .357 mag rifles made into.357 Max rifles. Is that possible with handguns?

Top Bottom