• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    For 357 Magnum rifle, I like to load a 158 gr jacketed bullet on top of 14.1 gr W296/H110. I have clocked them at about 1,400 fps out of a 16" Rossi 92. I can't find jacketed bullets at the moment so I just got some 158 gr plated RNFP bullets from X-Treme. If I don't crimp too heavy, do you think the plated bullets will hold together at that velocity?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, under bullet/load info, they recommend keeping velocity below 1500 fps. You should be fine because I am sure that number has some degree of factor of safety.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For 357 Magnum rifle, I like to load a 158 gr jacketed bullet on top of 14.1 gr W296/H110. I have clocked them at about 1,400 fps out of a 16" Rossi 92. I can't find jacketed bullets at the moment so I just got some 158 gr plated RNFP bullets from X-Treme. If I don't crimp too heavy, do you think the plated bullets will hold together at that velocity?
    My Hodgdon data shows 15.0gr. of W-296/H-110 as a starting point for a 158gr. Hornady XTP.?? This is out of an 18.5" barrel.
    Another option would be Hard Cast.
    I KNOW that I would try a 158gr. Powder Coated, Gas Checked projectile if I could not find Jacketed.. I would start at 14.5gr-15.0gr. with this Gas Checked bullet...Bill.

PS: I would also use a Small Pistol MAGNUM, or Standard Small Rifle Primer to light off this W-296/H-110, but that's just me...

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My Hodgdon data shows 15.0gr. of W-296/H-110 as a starting point for a 158gr. Hornady XTP.?? This is out of an 18.5" barrel.
    Another option would be Hard Cast.
    I KNOW that I would try a 158gr. Powder Coated, Gas Checked projectile if I could not find Jacketed.. I would start at 14.5gr-15.0gr. with this Gas Checked bullet...Bill.

PS: I would also use a Small Pistol MAGNUM, or Standard Small Rifle Primer to light off this W-296/H-110, but that's just me...
    When loading plated bullets my rule of thumb has always been to treat them as lead, data wise.
    Good point on using lead data. I may start out with something milder using W231 or Bullseye and see how it shoots.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You shoot them at magnum velocity and let us know if they foul up the barrel. Simple test and possibly a lot of barrel scrubbing. I shoot hi tech coated hard cast bullets in my 44mag at magnum velocity with no fouling at all. 180gr FN 1754fps avg. Those are ACME bullets. .430 diameter.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    You shoot them at magnum velocity and let us know if they foul up the barrel. Simple test and possibly a lot of barrel scrubbing. I shoot hi tech coated hard cast bullets in my 44mag at magnum velocity with no fouling at all. 180gr FN 1754fps avg. Those are ACME bullets. .430 diameter.
    I'm sure they're out of stock currently, but where do you normally get these? I'm assuming no lube is required?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm sure they're out of stock currently, but where do you normally get these? I'm assuming no lube is required?
    No lube required. Acme Bullets. Hoosierbullets.com
    Summitcitybullets.com

I've been shooting Hoosierbullets.com and Summitcitybullets.com lately because they are available and no weeks delays.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    No lube required. Acme Bullets. Hoosierbullets.com
    Summitcitybullets.com

I've been shooting Hoosierbullets.com and Summitcitybullets.com lately because they are available and no weeks delays.
    As far as load data goes, do you treat them the same as regular lead bullets?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With my 44mag it gets a pretty good crimp. I used lee factory crimp die for my crimps. Works great. One thing about coated bullets is to make sure you flare the case mouth enough so it won't scratch off the coating when seating the bullet.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    With my 44mag it gets a pretty good crimp. I used lee factory crimp die for my crimps. Works great. One thing about coated bullets is to make sure you flare the case mouth enough so it won't scratch off the coating when seating the bullet.
    I normally put a heavy roll crimp on 357 Magnum jacketed rounds. Will go with a lighter taper crimp on the plated bullets to avoid cutting into the plating. I'll have to find the balance between holding the bullets in place and leaving the plating intact.

Appreciate the information on coated bullets. I didn't know much about them until now. Wish I would have known before I spent money on plated.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I normally put a heavy roll crimp on 357 Magnum jacketed rounds. Will go with a lighter taper crimp on the plated bullets to avoid cutting into the plating. I'll have to find the balance between holding the bullets in place and leaving the plating intact.

Appreciate the information on coated bullets. I didn't know much about them until now. Wish I would have known before I spent money on plated.
    I tried going with a lighter crimp but the magnum rds will work the bullets forward if not crimped good. Even 38 special +p need a good crimp.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

You didn't waste your money. Great for practice.

Top Bottom