• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You should look at the Rossi Puma line of 1892 rifles. Based on the original 1892 (JMB) Winchester design, the Pumas are more exact reproductions than the current limited run 1892's offered by Winchester today. (Made in Japan)

The Rossi 1892 action is stronger than the Marlin 1894 design and was actually created around pistol length cartridges. The 1892 action is also far slicker than either the Winchester 1894 or Marlin 1894 designs.

I own two Rossi Pumas in .357 Mag (top) and .44 Mag (bottom), and they are indeed tack drivers.

oldnewsmall.jpg

heartshots.jpg

Rossi Puma 1892 .44 Magnum (10-shots in the Hollywood heart)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you go Handi, you can ream the chamber to take 357 maximum, which gives you near 30 30 levels of velocity and energy, and you can still shoot your 357s and 38s through it. Might be the best all around rifle you could own for whitetails and below.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Saw a .357 saddle ring carbine lever action made by puma last time I was at gander Mt. Used for around $350 in good shape. Almost bought it. It had wide loop too. I should have brought it home but didn't. Nice looking rifle I would recomend it.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Had a winchester, was awfully pretty and shot good but would not feel anything worth crap. Even RNL wouldn't feel. I have the Marlin in .44 and recommend it. NEF makes a nice single shot too. I'd opt for a rifle frame and use their add on program and then add a shotgun barrel, etc.

DaleB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Bedford, IN
    Uberti also makes a "baby" rolling block in 357, and lets not forget the IMI Timberwolf pump action.

Ruger Currently makes a bolt action rifle in 44 magnum, the 77/44.

I've got a IMI (also called Action Arms) Timberwolf in .357 and I love it. Also have a Rossi lever in .44 mag, and love that one, too. Yesterday I went to the Bedford gun show and saw a Timberwolf in .44 mag, the guy was asking $1495! I'd love to have that gun, but geeze, that's a crazy price!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've had both Rossi and Marlin and both are good guns. I bought a new Marlin 1894CSS last year that required some extractor polishing before it would chamber a rd of any shape bullet. Runs slick now w/ any ammo. Marlin throws brass to the side in a small pattern a few feet away which makes brass pickup/ retrieval a breeze. Nice if you reload.

Top Bottom