• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I am thinking about getting a lever action 357 rifle. Should I get the rossi or should I save up some more and get the henry big boy? It will be used mostly for plinking around.

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    If you decide Marlin, look over the workmanship very close. Have seen significant gaps and poor fit between stock and receiver, as well as scuffed/stripped screw heads. Otherwise, love mine!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a marlin I got back in 1997is time fram. Very solid piece. There were some issues with the new Marlins when remingto took them over with some QC issues but the few I have seen lately have looked fine. Like anything inspect it before you buy.

I also have a lot of trigger time behind a rossi and they are solid rifles as well. Don't know about the Henry. I am sure it is good too if you can accept the 22 rimfire way of loading!

Glock4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    The Uberti Model 1873 is the prettiest and the most traditional of these rifles. It is also the most expensive. Shooting this rifle is like going back in time. It has the smoothest and most reliable (not to mention interesting) action and comes with the best sights. Oddly, it also has the heaviest trigger pull, and that needs to be fixed by a gunsmith. If your budget is large, you are traditionalist, and you intend to shoot with iron sights anyway, the Uberti Model 1873 is probably the optimum way to go.

The Marlin is the least expensive rifle, easiest to scope, lightest to carry and the fastest handling. Its finish is subdued compared to the other two, but it has nice lines. For the serious hunter or back packer it is the most practical choice.

The Henry falls somewhere between the Uberti Model 1873 and the Marlin 1894C, although closer to the Model 1873 in price and overall impression. It is a very pretty rifle, considerably more handsome than the Marlin, but not as drop dead beautiful as the Uberti. It is a lot more trouble to scope than the Marlin, but at least there is provision for scope mounting. Its action is smoother than the Marlin in operation (although in the case of our test rifle less reliable), but not as smooth as the Model 1873.

Despite their similar applications and identical caliber, these rifles sell at markedly different price points. That will probably be the deciding factor for many customers. Whichever you choose, I predict that you will not be disappointed.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Love my Marlin 1894c and with 38 spec it's a sweet plinker. But the Uberti and Henry are better looking. I like thos octagonal barrels.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    I have a Marlin and love it. It's a REP, but it shoots true. Fit and finish on my particular piece is ok. The action has a few faults, but it's only gotten better the more I've shot it (and adjusted to it). There are aftermarket parts to improve it, but I have yet to go down that path. For a field carbine/plinker, it's fantastic.

As for the competitors, I specifically wanted a side eject so I could use a scope (the factory sights are almost as bad as my eye) and though I had considered peep sights, I wanted the option to scope it. It's currently wearing a very small 2.5x20 scope. Anything that ejects on top will complicate that if you want the option as well. Also, check parts availability for the others, if there are no improved parts available, then the way they are out of the box will be the best you could ever hope for.

In general though, any .357 carbine is a great choice from where I sit. Fun, relatively cheap, powerful enough, lightweight, good looks, less ammo to carry (with a matching wheel gun), great magazine capacity, negligible recoil... The list goes on and on.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    That last paragraph sums up every reason I have for wanted a 357 rifle. Glad someone else goes with my thought process, ill probably end up going with the rossi just for the price.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    LEVER

Save up more and get a Marlin, JM marked:D

I personally gave up on the NEW Marlin's and purchased a Henry Big Boy .357. The Marlin was just the name. I have an old Marlin .30-.30 and it is what I'd expect to get but don't yet see in the newer ones. I have not yet shot my Henry but it is beautiful. I have a Golden Boy .22lr and it is well built, smooth and extremely accurate. Everyone that shoots it loves it. I like the Rossi better than the Marlin and in some way's wished I would have gone that route. I'm afraid to shoot my Henry (but I will) and for plinking I think Rossi would serve well.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have the marlin 1894c in .357. I like the side eject and the ability to reload from the side rather than a tube mag. It is stamped JM, meaning pre-Remington. It works well

I would like to have Uberti, but it is just too expensive for me.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I have Marlin, Winchester and Henry lever guns.. And love all of them.. Def look for the JM on the Marlin.. I don't personally have a .357 in any of them.. But my little sister has a Marlin that she uses to deer hunt with and she likes it and it performs very well..

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Marlin .357

I have several Marlin Lever rifles, along with Winchesters, and Henrys. All my Marlins are pre-Remington, except my .357. It was made by Remington. When I received it, brand new, the front sight had not been installed properly, and was broken because it was forced. Marlin/Remington sent me a complete front sight assembly right away. The action was also like gravel, but it has gotten much better with usage. I could take it apart and do some polishing, but it really doesn't need it now.

With those two miner things corrected it is as good as my other Marlins. I installed a Leupold 2X Scout Scope, and the gong at 100 yards is easy to shoot.

If you find a Marlin made by Remington look it over CAREFULLY, but don't be afraid of it. You may have just found a bargain.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a Marlin 1894 ca 1974 in 44 magnum but.....I have two Rossi's, early Interarms imports(one in 357 and one in 44) and I must say they are (nearly) every bit as good as the Marlin.

I just gave my wife one of the new Rossi's with the goofy safety and she loves it...The point being do not discount the Rossi's, especially the earlier ones...They are very nice weapons...

IMHO ofcourse...

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have one of the newer ones of the 1894 in 357. IT has the safety. I did not care for the trigger. So I bought A new drop in trigger. Much better! The gun has been trouble free. Shot 300+- rds. The more I shoot this little gun the attached I become

Top Bottom