• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Last week I was shooting my .308 at 1,000 yards up at Young’s Longshot Range near Woodruff, IN. One of the older bench rest shooters was watching me shoot and ask if I would mind if he made some suggestions on my shooting technique. He said I was moving my head on the stock, but the biggest issue he saw was my constant adjustment of the side focus knob on my NightForce scope. I was adjusting the focus to get the best view of my bullet impacts on the plate, but in the process, I was changing the parallax adjustment. He told me to adjust the parallax and then to keep my meat hooks off the scope. I followed his advice on the parallax settings and started get much tighter groups.

This week I raised the adjustable cheek piece on my stock, forcing me to use more pressure with my cheek against the stock to get a good sight picture. I also added a small piece of self-adhesive moleskin to the cheek piece to make sure I had the same position on the stock fore and aft. Even with the gusting winds we had today my group sizes shrunk by at least 50% at 500 and 1,000 yards. I shot two 5 shot groups dead center at 1,000 yards that measured 6 inches.[FONT=&quot]

onethirdmoa.jpg

[/FONT]I put up paper at 500 yards and shot the 5 shot group in this picture. Center to center measures 1.496 inches which figures out to .333 MOA at 500 yards. A big +1 to Brad who took the time to offer some advice.

The horizontal spread can be blamed on the wind.... the vertical flier was the dope behind the scope.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    Wow, great group! I am very envious that you have the opportunity to shoot at such ranges, and it's obvious you know how to utilize it!

What was your load?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did you install your own Jewell or have a gunsmith do it for you?

I did it myself and all it takes is a couple small pin punches. A BIG word of caution, make sure you look at the old assembly and placement of the springs before you remove the factory trigger. Once the pin comes out, everything drops out along with the trigger group. There are videos out on You Tube that show the process, but they don't show placement of the springs. The new assembly is one piece, but you have to get everything aligned in place with one pin punch and then use the factory pin tp push out the punch and secure the trigger assembly.

The biggest problem is that once you install one Jewell trigger, you'll need one for every other weapon you own.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Nice shooting Dave! How do you like the AICS 1.5?

I've got an application filled out here for Young's but I just found out my InLaws (who live about 30 minutes south of Young's) that I was going to use as an excuse to go (My wife's always on me to go visit her sister up there) are moving to Florida in late July/August.

Sigh....

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nice shooting Dave! How do you like the AICS 1.5?

I was looking at the 2.0, but thought I'd never use a folding stock. I LOVE the 1.5, but when I clean the bore, I have to remove the cheek piece and butt pad to get a cleaning rod into the bore. It isn't a big deal, but you don't have to worry about it with the 2.0.

I'm still shooting the factory barrel and haven't done anything with the bolt and action. I'll wait until I replace the barrel and get that taken care of. The biggest improvement was replacing the factory 40X trigger with a Jewell 1 1/2 ounce to 3 pound trigger. I have mine set to 1 pound. The trigger is so crisp and smooth, that every shot is a surprise. I just concentrate on sight picture and breathing - keeping constant pressure on the trigger and it goes off.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I was looking at the 2.0, but thought I'd never use a folding stock. I LOVE the 1.5, but when I clean the bore, I have to remove the cheek piece and butt pad to get a cleaning rod into the bore. It isn't a big deal, but you don't have to worry about it with the 2.0.

I'm still shooting the factory barrel and haven't done anything with the bolt and action. I'll wait until I replace the barrel and get that taken care of. The biggest improvement was replacing the factory 40X trigger with a Jewell 1 1/2 ounce to 3 pound trigger. I have mine set to 1 pound. The trigger is so crisp and smooth, that every shot is a surprise. I just concentrate on sight picture and breathing - keeping constant pressure on the trigger and it goes off.

The trigger on my Rem700 is one of my biggest complaints... that and the fact that the action is so sticky that I can't maintain a cheek weld while chambering rounds (Maybe I'm just a weakling little girlyman and should workout more).

Did you install your own Jewell or have a gunsmith do it for you?

The trigger upgrade is one of the first things I want to do to my R700 but I have several other firearms related items I need to do first (first and foremost being set up a family trust).

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Yeah that looks like a .33 MOA stick, I love the look of those AI chassis'...one of these days I'm gonna get a true tactical rifle done up...just have to conince myself to let loose of some funds...buy once cry once!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice shoot'n at a grand. Farthest I've shot is 300, and can't erven come close to that group! But I'm using Iron sights, can't afford as nice a set up as yours. But I'll get there some day. :patriot:

Top Bottom